PDA

View Full Version : the weirdness of it all

Splidz
01-12-2005, 06:58 AM
Playing a fair bit lately has me thinking about some of the weird aspects of playing this game, especially from a social perspective, since we play it together. So I'm playing with my friends (most of whom I've never met face-to-face) in a big interactive, entertaining world. Which is all well and good, but there are some odd aspects to this entire arrangement!

Starting with the whole name thing. I don't know anybody's real name. I call Torque, Torque. I call Gryphon, Gryphon and Stang, Stang. These are the names I know you by. The problem is that in WoW, some of you have changed your names. Gryphon is still Gryphon, but Torque has become Ditor. Stang has turned into Bigchesty or whatever her name is. ;) Liqwood now plays as Frils.

So now when I play, sometimes I call people by their new name, like Ditor. Other times, I call them by what I think of as their real name, like Stang or Liq. Except that's not their real name at all! In a year when we join a new game, if y'all change yer names again I'm gonna go crazy!

The other odd thing about this social interaction is the unexpected events that we deal with. So here I am chilling in Loch Mordan with Torque (Ditor), Liq (Frils) and Sonofbeach (Quartex). We're wandering around, having a normal conversation, when we hear a panicked scream from Torque: "GUYS I'M BEING ATTACKED BY A BEAR HERE!"

AAAAAGGGHHHHHHHHHH we swing into action and attack the foul beast! I cast Curse of Agony and Corruption on it. Frils sics Lucky on it and starts blasting it with his rifle. In the distance, Sonofbeach continues to casually mine a vein of copper ore.

It dies. And things are back to normal. But how normal is "normal"? I can't remember the last time I talked to one of my friends about his job only to have him suddenly shout "GODDAMNIT I HAVE A WILD BOAR ON MY ASS!"

Gotta love it!

Levo
01-12-2005, 07:14 AM
LOL you got to love thoses miners..I've been running around with Quartex here lately. We be out questing then all of a sudden he and his horse do a 90 and head to the hills..at first I was like what the heck is he doing. then I see him jump off his pony..pick in hand teeth in the ground..I guess we all a bit guilty about this as I do the same thing with skinning.. Still funny when Quartex does it though..he's like a demon pocessed on destruction when he goes after a vein. He even killed a Horde member that was mineing his vein...lol it was funny.

Lub U Quartex :D

Quartex
01-12-2005, 07:31 AM
Sigh... if you only knew the power of the veins. Come on Muzo back me up on this one... you know what kinda shit I can turn ore into. hehe!

Splidz
01-12-2005, 08:23 AM
I got problems cuz I have engineering but no mining skill (got enchanting instead). Right now I need rough stone. So if you come across rough stone that you don't need, send it my way (Splidziz). I can make dynamite out of it.

I'm wondering if I should drop enchanting and go with mining, or drop engineering and go with something else. I guess I'll have to see how getting supplies from other people works out.

Quartex
01-12-2005, 09:45 AM
dont worry man i can hook u up with ore n sheit... chill batch. just stop bitching when I hump a vein while you get murdered by a bear.

Ghryphen
01-12-2005, 10:06 AM
:lol:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php3?date=2004-12-31#braying

Splidz
01-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Ha ha ha ha that comic is hilarious and extremely appropriate!

Jadal
01-12-2005, 01:25 PM
lol Splidz

I know exactly what you mean I think. When I first starting playing MMOs I never used TS, but once I found out about it I was like OMGWTF this is sooooo cool.

I met Muzo, Zanik, Erlik (Vicious), Fearce (Tremor), Verra, Ferion and quite a few others online. TS really made playing MMOs much more fun (SWG at the time). But it was so weird for me to be talking to people that I had never met. So when I travelled to Florida one time I met everyone but Erlik and Verra.

Now I knew their real names and they knew mine, but when I went back home they still called me Jadal even if I changed my characte name, lol. Drove me nuts for awhile but then I guess that is just the nature of it :) So now all my names are Jadal or some variation of it.

Now the really weird part is that my alternate Jaydal is now my main and I'm a little put off because I've come to identify with the name Jadal. How weird is that?

Should I seek professional help??? :P

Ghryphen
01-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Jadal
Now the really weird part is that my alternate Jaydal is now my main and I'm a little put off because I've come to identify with the name Jadal. How weird is that?

Should I seek professional help??? :P Imagine having my name and hearing it mentioned on TS and I'm like "What?" or "Oo someones talking to me!" only to find out they are just talking about hitching a flight to the next town on one of those winged beasties.

Stang
01-12-2005, 05:43 PM
:lol: ROFL :lol:

You can just continue to call me Stang :D.

Torque
01-12-2005, 08:37 PM
I liked the part were Quartex was yelling, "why are you running, I'm still alive...." ROFLMFAO

I'm Fish, Torque or DiTor depending on the game. Real life Michael

Muzo
01-13-2005, 09:03 AM
Quartex is right! We miners have to get to the veins! You have no Idea! Mining turns into a game all its own! When you see the blip on your min-map you immediately start running towards the vein without looking out for monsters (the whole time wondering if anyone else saw the vein) then as you start to mine you move your camera in circles just to make sure no other miner is heading your way to steal your damn vine!

As for the name thing I wouldn’t worry about it I’ve never called Stang Chestylaru in team speak I just call her Stang. Oh but make you sure you pronounce Gryphen’s name correctly when you address him or he will not only kick you from the guild but hack into your computer and put homo pron on your PC with his Ub3r r0x0r5 1337 5ki11’5!!!

Stang
01-13-2005, 04:09 PM
:lol:

I don't know how many times I've heard people try to pronounce his name, ITS A DAMN GRYPHON HOW CAN YOU GET THAT WRONG! :p

When the game came out I had a long ass weird name that had a good meaning then I hear yourmom trying to pronounce it and so he made me change it :lol:.

Mining is an addiction, have they set up a community for us addictions yet? :D "Hi, Im Stang and Im addicted to mining"

Muzo
01-13-2005, 07:12 PM
oh man Now I have to remember what your beta name was..

Ghryphen
01-14-2005, 09:20 AM
It was some kind of elfish name..

Muzo
01-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Galadri-Hoe?

Stang
01-18-2005, 04:16 PM
:nana: