PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Ati is just getting ridiclous...

Ardamir
02-27-2005, 12:27 PM
http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050226_174539.html

1)Does it look like it will take up 2 PCI Slots?
2)The cooling unit looks ridiclous....and loud.

What do you guys think about it?

insaneferret
02-27-2005, 04:13 PM
bah, screw PCI slots, most computers have too many in the first place, used for what? sound card, network card, thats about it. besides, i'd probably just rip the big ugly thing off and put my waterblock on it

Verra
02-27-2005, 06:40 PM
viciuos had to go to two slots for his ATI, it was running hot and shutting his computer down. Order a arctic cooling fan, replaced the fan on the card for it and now it runs fine

BTW have you seen the nvidia GeForce 6800 OC it almost takes up two slots by it size

Verra

but yeah the video card are getting bigger and bulker all the time.
just wait until they think it would be cool to make it external
LOL

Ardamir
02-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Well they have the new PCI Express which is so supposed to be better than AGP. nVidia also has this thing to where you can link 2 videocards together (newer ones) and have them work in unison.

When I bought my current computer I made the good mistake of selecting a gforce fx 5800 (two slots and very loud). However due to manufaturing errors of the card, my computer shipped 3 weeks late with a then brand spanking new ATi 9800 pro :D

I just wonder if ATI is making a mistake in doing this...

Stang
02-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Whats going to be rediculious is the price they will have attached to it.

I will never put $400-500 on a video card when in time it will go down or in 2 mths a new one comes out. I can think of better things to spend that kinda money on.