PDA

View Full Version : The wonderful life of da Mage!

Calimitous Mayhem
03-27-2005, 02:03 PM
:relax:

Ahhh the Mage. I've had so much frustration playing the priest. I was paired with a pally the other day, he was lvl 14 and i was lvl 11. We were fighting gnolls in westfall(about lvl 12-13). Whenever multiple mobs would attack him it was still all good im mean im the healer. My job is to keep him alive right? He kills one, starts on the second one and hes at about half life so i toss a small heal(lesser heal rank 2, i have rank 3) then both mobs turn towards me, i use fade.....nothing., I use shield.....nothing, still on me! Then theres nothing to do but heal myself and that doesnt help aggro! Now i realize this isnt all the situations in the game but I can see this happening more then once during the game and this never happens in other games where I play the healer. So I just wanted to take a break and try something new. My friend wants to play the mage so i thought I could play one so I could tell him about it. I love it! I solo'ed to lvl 8 in 2 and 1/2 hours! Amazing. I think that's what I'm going to continue playing form now on.

Later,
Calimity :grenoop:
(Mizchief lvl 8 Mage)

Quartex
03-27-2005, 07:22 PM
The pally didn't know how to hold aggro, that's all.

Spinning Hat
03-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Soloing as a mage in lvls 1 to about 14 is Ok, it's the rest that sucks. Lately, just to gain levels, Iv'e been wandering around just fighting mobs to get stronger so I can do some of my quests I need to do.. Still need a group to get together with me to go into the deadmines again, and kill VanCleef, and a couple other things.. would like to go in with lvl 19-21's, so we can get the exp for being down there, but even the other night when I was in there with Sampson and a couple others it was still a good time, and I got some good stuff. (Lots of green items..) But I didn't have the quest to kill VanCleef yet, and I forgot about the miners Union cards, and such, so I need to go back into the pits of firey hell.. :lol: Maybe Thursday night around 8PM CST? A Tank, Healer, and then whatever else wants to fit in for 5?

Jadal
03-28-2005, 02:01 AM
yep the priest has very humble beginnnings, later in life it grows up to put out some serious damage

easily one of the more powerful classes in the end

Quartex
03-28-2005, 08:00 AM
I could be down with that Hat. Lvl 20 (i think) warrior alt.

Spinning Hat
03-28-2005, 09:34 AM
Sweet. Thursday at 8 CST / 9 EST work for you?

Quartex
03-28-2005, 10:49 AM
sure

Ardamir
03-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Even at lvl 32 I have had difficulties with being a priest. Ive gone into several dungeons with group members 1-15 lvls higher than me and still...when I heal the other party members I am the one that gets attacked. >:( Only my awesome dance moves compensate.

Torque
03-28-2005, 03:20 PM
You're at 32 already. Egads......

feratson
03-29-2005, 03:51 AM
I have pretty much soloed my mage up to level 40 with very little help from anyone. I think the mage is pretty good to solo with I can kill like 4 same level mobs before I have to take a drink and regen my mana and don't get me started on PVP there is nothing like blinking out of root and sheeping people or killing a warrior before they can even get close enough to touch you. Now since the patch and the implementation of mage armor I can do even more. I have honestly gotten to the point where it is not fun to level my mage because it is TO EASY!!!!!!!!!!! They should really think about nerfing the mage because they are to uber

skoog
03-29-2005, 07:09 AM
all I have to say is somone didn't know how to tank and keep the agro.

It is so easy with a pally... seal of fury use that to increase threat.... if there are two pallys the one tanking uses retribution aura. Oh an the healer gets aggroed heal him.

if the healer is still getting to much agro pull out the shield so you can absorb more damage. Pallys and warriors aren't there to do more damage. Thier dps is just to weak.

destinysend
03-30-2005, 03:36 AM
Jadal, priests only are powerful endgame if shadow speced
mm k, i'll see if i can give you some tips here for priests..
1) fade will not always work
2) make sure to keep innerfire up while soloing/grouping outside of an instance, most of the time in a instance you shouldn't even be hit
3) shield is your last resort spell, or for pre-shielding/ae, it's horribly mana inefficient but remember your armor reduction is counted into the dmg that it absorbs so with innerfire up you can take more dmg
4)http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-priest&t=68148&p=1&tmp=1#post68148
5) remember you can melee too, and if u are using a dagger don't forget the dagger/wand combo tactic
6) renew is your best mana/heal/aggro ratio spell
and well i think last i can add is just after some time you should be able to learn to manage your aggro (its your job as well not just your tank's)

that's all i can think of right now
des~

Calimitous Mayhem
03-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Yeah I agree with you des but I think I've made up my mind to stick with the mage. I don't have the right connection to be a realiable main healer for any group. My latency is too high for that. I don't need to be in a future instance needing to heal someone in the group but the amount of time from when i hit the heal button till it gets to the server is too much for something like that. So I'll just continue to play the mage until i get back to the states and can play much better. Thanks for the advice though i appreciate it.

Later,
Calimity :grenoop:

an3mia
04-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Priest > mage in PVP by alot, but yes I have a lvl 42 priest and i just started a mage and I will say it is alot more fun to be a mage, but I know from PVPing mages with my priest that shadowform and silence dominates them =)

KWood
04-05-2005, 02:22 PM
If a lvl42 priest beat a 42 mage, the mage suxxored.

JC
04-19-2005, 04:45 PM
LVL 60 Mage and i can tell you now. Go Back! Priest is the best engame everything. you wont regret it. Spec Shadow and throw like 10-15 points into healing you'll do fine.

Stang
04-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Shush you we need more Mages! :p

Jadal
04-20-2005, 07:39 PM
Destiny chill

why would you make a priest that wasnt shadow specced? To be an uber healer? yea ok! pvp much? shadow priest heals are fine for pve so there is no reason to not spec that way for pvp unless you just like to wear cloth, not kill anyone, and die alot.

mmm k

Stang
04-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Drugs are bad mmmmkay

Starflower
04-24-2005, 12:44 PM
Priest does suck at the beginning but it gets so much better later on. Well worth it.

destinysend
04-24-2005, 04:25 PM
iono what your talking about...i do fine in pvp as 32/16 disc/holy. shadow is just a bit more mana efficient in killing. And yes i can kill perfectly fine. you can ask other's who've seen me pvp, shadowpriests got nothing on me.