PDA

View Full Version : SW:TOR Pre-order

Swad
07-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Just curious who in ATF is pre-ordering Star War: The Old Republic (http://www.swtor.com/). At this point in time, I'm not planning to. While the game does have my interest a bit and Bioware is typically known for fantastic games, I'm just not convinced enough yet or ready to commit to ordering a game I don't know enough about and which really doesn't have a set release date yet (or does it?).

AvengerX
07-28-2011, 09:35 AM
I preordered the Collector's Edition. I've been following it for a couple of years and I'm pretty sure I'll play it for a lengthy period of time unless its absolute crap (which I highly doubt).

SilverTalon
07-28-2011, 01:57 PM
On the fence about the game still. Will probably get it, but I don't know about a pre-order.

Ghryphen
07-29-2011, 06:18 PM
I'll have to see how things go. At the moment, no plans to get it.

Shadowspirit
07-29-2011, 06:19 PM
I didn't pre-order it, but I will probably get it. Anything I have ever gotten from Bioware has been fun.

Ghryphen
08-17-2011, 12:33 AM
TORDemo.wmv - YouTube

Skillet
08-17-2011, 04:11 PM
I Pre-ordered it...so will Swad!

Swad
08-18-2011, 05:41 AM
I'm still waiting on that $60 check from you, Skillet... it hasn't arrived yet.

SilverTalon
08-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Check waiting, too am I, before ordering of the pre will occur.

poonster
08-19-2011, 11:39 AM
i'm in the beta, if you liked KOTOR, you'll like SWTOR, if not.....pass.

Swad
08-19-2011, 12:00 PM
I enjoyed KOTOR 1 quite a bit. Didn't play 2, but didn't hear good about it (It wasn't Bioware, however).

Skillet
09-22-2011, 11:40 AM
So Tummi just told me he pre-ordered his. Who else has now!?

Ghryphen
11-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Stang and I might get the game, but probably not until after release. We are also interested in playing Sith if we do. I will probably try and play on CDL's server so we have peeps to play with since I don't think we will have a big ATF showing.

We may want to get people listed on CDL roster so you can get on the server, seems like they are pre assigning what server people are on.

SilverTalon
11-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Stang and I might get the game, but probably not until after release. We are also interested in playing Sith if we do. I will probably try and play on CDL's server so we have peeps to play with since I don't think we will have a big ATF showing.

We may want to get people listed on CDL roster so you can get on the server, seems like they are pre assigning what server people are on.

I'm kind of with Snuggs. I'm on the fence still, though slightly closer to ordering. Definitely would be Sith as well (and yes, I realize this will instantly put Gryph on the side of the Republic :p), and I support the idea of going in with CDL. While that Hamma character is rather shady sometimes, I think it'd be a good move if they want to have us along.

Still at the pondering phase though.

Ghryphen
11-28-2011, 01:26 PM
12:47 <@Hamma> We are manually picking a server since we are going RP-PVP @Hamma
12:47 <@Hamma> RP-PVP isn't available for the guild deployment @Jennyboo
12:47 <@Hamma> Once I know the server I can let you know :D
13:02 <@Gryphon> didnt know you had rp peeps
13:03 <@Gryphon> isnt that weird? "halt, who goes there?"
13:16 <@CDL-Hamma> Gryphon it's more getting rid of the asshat factor
13:16 <@CDL-Hamma> You don't actually have to RP
13:17 <@CDL-Hamma> Less asshats tend to gravitate towards RP-PVP servers

SilverTalon
11-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Hamma is largely correct. And with confirmation that THE Hamma will likely be playing I've gone ahead and thrown my hat in the ring. Also, if WoW is any indication, the servers break down like so:

PvE - idiots (see also: Barrens Chat worldwide)
PvP - Assholes
RP - idiots with funny accents, also weak assholes with too little time who like harassing said idiots
RP-PvP - Assholes scared away by the "RP" and the fact that they can only be dumbasses in the cities, idiots scared off by the "PvP"

Also, damn you Skillet...damn you.

Stang
11-29-2011, 06:24 PM
It's sad what I'm about to say but if Silver is in I just might have to follow as I haven't had any Silver interaction in quite a while. Geez I can't believe I just said that. "Your going to regret it after 1 day girl!"

SilverTalon
11-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Yeah, but you got the same advice on your wedding day and that seems to have turned out......well, exactly like they said it would. Thank goodness for Stockholm Syndrome though, amirite?

I'm not sold on the idea of the game being able to last as long as WoW did around here, but it was nice to look at a new Star Wars thing and not cringe or feel like Lucas was once again attempting to say he was awesome by destroying something good. Figured stabbing people in the face with a lightsaber was worth it for a little bit at any rate.

Also, I blame Skillet.

Ghryphen
11-29-2011, 10:32 PM
I created ATF, Allied Tribal Forces | Star Wars: The Old Republic (http://www.swtor.com/guilds/291034/allied-tribal-forces)

Have until Dec 2nd to get 4 pre-orders in the guild to get it imported.

SilverTalon
11-30-2011, 04:29 AM
I did my part...tho I gave up on the questions. :( Hopefully Gryph will be able to decide if I'm in the group without it.

Swad
11-30-2011, 05:40 AM
I wasn't really planning to consider buying until after Jan 1st due to being on vacation Dec 22nd - Jan 1st (lot of wasted game time for first free month). However, I'll bite the bullet and pre-order if it will make the ATF deal happen. I'll do it after there are 3 more who will commit to make it a done deal. Dane was saying last night that he will probably go ahead and get it, so that's probably 1. Find 2 more and I'll see about making that 4th happen.

Besides, appears pre-orders get a 5-day head start before 20th launch, so I could have almost a week to play before vacation.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm just confused what this is for, Gryph. Can people who already pre-ordered take care of those spots? Some have already pre-ordered, like Skillet. I'm so confused. -.-

EDIT2: Nevermind, I see it's just to get the guild going ahead of time, more or less. I assume the other people who have already pre-ordered can take care of this. I'm still probably waiting. Being such a late pre-order if I was to do it now, I probably would only get like a 1 day head start as they're spacing out how early people start based on when they pre-ordered. I'm sure people who did way back will get the 5 days. People now... not so much.

Stang
11-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Same, not going to grab it til after the new year and if we have a good group of people playing it. But if we do play with CDL probably have a good size group. We shall see.

Shadowspirit
12-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Same for me now. Finals get over and then short vacation and then Christmas. Ill be playing sometime after the new year. Still have to figure out when to put skyrim in the mix too.

Ghryphen
12-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Have 2 of the 4 pre-orders Allied Tribal Forces | Star Wars: The Old Republic (http://www.swtor.com/guilds/291034/allied-tribal-forces)

Ghryphen
12-03-2011, 11:17 AM
We just made it, 4 pre orders. The guild is now frozen while imports are being done.

RagingSamster
12-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Hi guys, Long time, got the email and was glad to see you're still around.
I've preordered, been beta testing on the two weekends they had available - Sith Inquisitor is hard, Trooper is easy.

Ghryphen
12-13-2011, 10:26 AM
CDL have chosen Sith on server Jung Ma

Asp
12-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Hey Guys,

Yes, we've (CDL) chosen Jung Ma as our primary RP-PVP server, with the backup being the non-RP Shein server. RP tends to keep the asshat population lower, which is why it was preferred by the majority of people in the guild alliance.

The big concern is server population at the moment, so if anything changes, I will let you guys know what our plans are..

See you all soon!

edit: Didn't realize the backup server Shein was non-PVP, which means we may have to have an alternate backup server if Jung Ma doesn't work out in the end. We'll have a better idea in a few days I think

Talatha
12-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Hey folks, looking to play with you all again in SW ToR. I played WoW years back and got away from MMOs, but I want to get into SW for sure! Any info/ servers that we are sticking to? I love the decision to go Sith, by the way :)

Ghryphen
12-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Hey Talatha, looking to follow CDL to whatever server they choose. ATF probably won't have a huge player base so being able to have some CDL friends on the same server will help out.

Right now looking like Jung Ma. But as more CDL and ATF get in later, it may become pop locked which will cause some challenges.

Stay tuned to this thread, everyone try and stick together, we won't have the numbers we had in WoW.

Skillet
12-13-2011, 04:22 PM
I blame Dane...

Audioslave
12-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Don't think I'm going to pre-order but I'll probably grab it up as soon as it's released. I played through the Beta and was pretty impressed with the story line, voice overs and general combat of the characters. UI was a little cheesy but hey, never really had one that didn't get modded one way or another ;)

Swad
12-16-2011, 07:43 AM
I broke down last night and went ahead and pre-ordered. Main reason I didn't before was I didn't want to waste 10 days of free first month game time while I was on vacation around the holidays. I found out last night that you don't have to put in your registration for the final game until release (the early access is kindof a free "gimme"). They're also extending a 48 hour grace period on registering after retail hits the 20th, so you don't have to go live with your retail game until the 22nd, which happens to be the day I leave for vacation.

Yay--I can wait until I get back to register with retail but still potentially get some early access before I leave. Guess I'll see you guys as soon as they let me in.

SilverTalon
12-16-2011, 08:11 AM
For completeness in case I decide to fiddle with an alt (because I NEVER do that....nope, never):

Cynia - Bounty Hunter (Human) - Armstech/Scavenger/Investigation for professions
Solonra - Sith Warrior (Cyborg)
Tylista - Imperial Agent (Chiss)
Draaci - Sith Inquisitor (Twi'lek)

Now to decide what roles to have them be...

Stoke
12-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Those names sound vaguely familiar.

I will probably show up as a Sith Warrior with some form of the name Stoke.

Swad
12-16-2011, 01:17 PM
With my pre-order last night, I now have my early access invite today to start playing. Can't wait for queues! I'll probably roll initially with a Sith Inquisitor Assassin. Whether more tanky or more stabby--I don't know yet. I'll invariably have one of each major class, though.

Talatha
12-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Are we still trying for sith/ jung ma? it says its very heavy pop/ full....i haven't even been able to make it in easily. i rolled a jedi counsular>>>shadow on Ven Zallow if anyone wants to play that while we wait to see where our final sith server lands. the Name is Roukmar

Ghryphen
12-17-2011, 12:47 PM
So far CDL are staying Jung Ma, no mention of changing servers atm.

Danerune
12-18-2011, 08:00 PM
We are getting a pretty large contingent of ATF to play. I'd like to suggest a different server than Jung Ma its over populated with long que times. I am not a fan of waiting 30 minutes to play.

I suggest either the server the guys playing right now switched to randomly or the server Swads friends are on so that we can team up with another group.

Shadowspirit
12-18-2011, 08:06 PM
As someone who hated malganis queues, I would prefer moving. Its still just preorders that are playing, I can't imagine what the servers will look like on Tuesday. But that's my 2 cents.

Ghryphen
12-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Should be a lot of CDL to team up with already on Jung Ma. I asked them to come over and give an update on what CDL is thinking about.

Stang
12-18-2011, 10:52 PM
This is another reason I am not playing yet. This happens with any big game and went thru it with WoW. Like Shadow said wait til Tuesday and even more servers are going to have ques so kinda hard to jump ship so quickly for a game that hasn't hardly been out. So discuss with CDL or tell us what server Swad is playing on so we have some choices. I don't want to be server hopping. I know with CDL we will have more people to team up with and don't want to fall into us moving to a server where we will have numbers for awhile then things dwindle off, don't know how many are in Swads group. But I do understand about the ques.

Blackwolf
12-18-2011, 10:54 PM
I've already pre-ordered and I'm on Rep side right now, eventually plan on rolling Imps out the wazzooo, when I get bored with the blues :D Shouldn't take long, I have a short attention span...

Let me know where you guys finalize and I'll join ya.

SilverTalon
12-19-2011, 03:19 AM
Things are very chaotic with the queues at the moment, and a big question mark is what BioWare is going to do about it. Jung Ma is, sadly, far from the worst server for queues in the game; some servers have queue times in the 5-6 hour range (I like playing with you all, but yeah...not that much...no offense :p).

It's hard to decide because while CDL gives us people to work with, the queues make it unpleasant on those days that the Internet just sucks. Imagine if we let Skillet tank, he d/c's (like Skillet always does when the hamsters get tired) and it's a 45 minute wait in whatever we're doing just for the queue, and 45 minutes again every time he disconnects while waiting.

Shien has been ok so far, but what surge will we see after Christmas? I'm not thinking the 20th will be a HUGE surge; most people who get the game on launch day are likely pre-orders anyway.

Swad might be friends with other folks, but is that a party we can crash? Seemed like they were RL friends and we know how Swad is ashamed of us; he just sticks around for Fate's cookies. So forth and so on...

We do need to decide though, and thanks Gryph for pinging CDL so we can try to coordinate.

Swad
12-19-2011, 05:51 AM
I'm just waiting for you all to sort this out after I get back from vacation. Seems every server is dying right now from queues. Last night when I got on, I saw a grand total of 5 servers *without queues* on the list of servers that was displayed (didn't scroll the whole list, was just looking at the 30 or so servers on screen w/o scrolling the list). Two of the three servers I have characters on right now have queues.

Bottom line is it will only get worse after tomorrow if EA isn't ready to both deploy new servers *and* provide a means for those who want to to transfer off for free. Let's hope the devs are prepared with character transfer means, and EA realizes they need a LOT more servers.

As for me, I care not to deal with queues in the long term. If it's a short term pain that will go away--I can manage that. I get on and off a few times in a given weekday evening due to supper and whatever else that might have me logging out for a while. I want to spend time playing a game, not sitting around staring at a decreasing number for 30m - 1hr. each time I log in. Wherever we end up, I just don't want to see queues for the long term (and this issue we might not see resolved until a week or two after release) or land somewhere by ourselves (don't feel like playing on Shien because there's nobody there we know).

Also, on a side note, I'm not going to push that we go where I have a couple friends I know (playing with about 30 others I don't know). I'm sure each of us has friends playing somewhere else and we could go one of a dozen different places. Bottom line, though, is I think it should be somewhere that we can have another group we can team up with--whether CDL or some other group.

RocketMad
12-19-2011, 05:58 AM
Hey guys. I am getting the game too and no one in my current guild is going to get it so (if I'm welcome) I'd like to play with you guys again. I am not quite sure about the latency but I doubt it's a problem for MMO's? Correct me if I'm wrong.

SilverTalon
12-19-2011, 06:17 AM
Rocket:
Latency can be tricky depending on the path you have to take to get to the server. Sometimes it's not a big deal, others it's horrid. MMOs aren't exempt from it, you just have a larger cushion than an FPS. Playing at 500ms provides a very not-good experience with people snagging mobs before you or being behind on what your role should be doing in a group (since you're working that little bit slower). That said, I've played on EU servers for various things and found servers in the 150-250ms range which is just fine, and others where it was 700ms+. Lot of variables at work but assuming we ever pick a place to end up and it works for you, the more the merrier.

Swad:
I agree. I can put up with 20-30 minute queues for a short time, but much more than that and I start wandering to other places. There's just too many questions about what will and won't happen at the moment which sucks, but like Stang said it's nothing new for this sort of thing. We did the same thing in WoW, same thing in WAR. Just have to be patient and figure it out.

On the upside, the game is fun at least. Review of the Night from CB:

"Wow! Bioware did a great job with the women in this game. When I say something I think they'll like, they get mad at me but when I do something that seems certain to piss them off they're ok with it. I'm so confused about what I should and shouldn't be saying...it's just like every woman I know!"

Swad
12-19-2011, 06:28 AM
On the upside, the game is fun at least. Review of the Night from CB:

"Wow! Bioware did a great job with the women in this game. When I say something I think they'll like, they get mad at me but when I do something that seems certain to piss them off they're ok with it. I'm so confused about what I should and shouldn't be saying...it's just like every woman I know!"

Just don't tell CB about the possibilities with the Sith Warrior and dark side conversation options when first getting a companion. He may over work that shock collar on his slave (ok, I confess--I did too).

SilverTalon
12-19-2011, 06:35 AM
Oh...and you should really make your Sith Warriors as Sith Truebloods. Their racial "power" is to bitch-slap their companions. No, really...backhand to the face. It's great.

Stoke
12-19-2011, 08:15 AM
sigh.......

SilverTalon
12-19-2011, 10:16 AM
It will be sorted Stoke, your career as a Dark Lord online as well as IRL will not be unduly impeded. :p

Patience have you must.

Stoke
12-19-2011, 03:03 PM
damnit

SilverTalon
12-19-2011, 03:49 PM
My feelings on the end of early access too Stokeles. :(

Hamma
12-19-2011, 05:57 PM
In CDL there has been no discussion so far on moving. Early on in WoW we moved off of Mal'Ganis in favor of Laughing Skull. We have some almost 30's now so I don't foresee us moving at this point. Our roster just to give you guys an idea is around 20 active users right now and im sure most of them will be active for a while.

From what I have seen thus far Bioware is well aware of the issues and I trust in them to correct it. I know alot of folks have mentioned EA - but they aren't the folks in charge of this operation Bioware is. With launch tomorrow Bioware area increasing the server count and they have also talked about increasing the max player count on servers with issues.

In short, we are just playing the wait and see attitude this time rather than jumping to another server. We will remain on Jung Ma for at least the foreseeable future unless queues remain crazy high for a long time.

Asp
12-19-2011, 07:42 PM
I'll follow shamelessly after Hamma with our reasoning on our server choice so far..

We went with RP-PVP as (in WoW at least) it tended to cut down on the asshat population somewhat in the player base..

Bioware in a feat of heroic stupidity only gave us 2 RP-PVP servers (one east and one west coast) initially. Which is why Jung Ma filled up so quickly, and has a high queue. I'm rather confident that bioware will address this issue quickly as it's in their best interest to have as smooth a launch as possible (I remember ridiculous queues at WoW's beginning too).. Their servers may have had an artificial population limit as one way to shape the traffic of players heading to particular servers. Today there was no queue (that I saw) all day, even in prime time, so they may have adjusted the population limits on their heavy loaded servers.
I'd also imagine that if the issue is persistent, they'll allow (much like Blizzard did) players to transfer off high pop servers onto new servers. In which case we would make a call on either moving or staying put and hope Bioware gets the balance right.

Some of our guys were talking about this as well, but the problem is over 75% of the servers on the NA list were full, so there'd be queues there too. Even the "very heavy" servers could be that way today, full tomorrow. It's a gamble whatever we do.

The queues suck, no doubt about it.. My advice would be to ride it out, see what bioware has in mind to deal with the issue first, and decide to pull or not the ejector seat then. The population will either right itself or they'll allow us to transfer to a new server. Not sure how much playing musical servers would help when you look at how full they almost all are now quite frankly..

It'd be great to play with you guys, so I hope we're all on the same server; but that's basically our thought process at the moment. We're going to give it a chance, wait and see. Though if the opportunity comes to move and it's a good deal, we'll certainly let you guys know..

http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/fe48bc1ec4f9a7da.png
asp@dragonwolves.com

SilverTalon
12-19-2011, 10:33 PM
The big problem ATF is going to have (aside from queues) is how staggered people getting the game is going to be. Our fairly reliable roster will probably resemble:

Skillet
Gryphon
Stang
Silver
Stoke
Cannonball
Danerune
Swad
Shadow
Tummi

Skimming the thread I see other names as well, which will probably add up to a healthy 8 man group at least. However, with people playing the game at different paces, "when" that will happen becomes a big question.

My point of view is that we will eventually be fine if we all play together, but that a situation where we have CDL to work with gives us the best options (and helps them out with similar "not enough hardcores" or "time zones suck" issues). Might we be the second-fiddle to start out? Possibly, but I'd rather be second-fiddle to friends while we gather our feet up under us than spam recruit to fill ranks on another server where we have no similar friends and/or have guild collaborations like what we did in WoW where members get outright stolen.

CDL would give us a fair deal, in my opinion, and if they don't then nobody else in this world is really going to either. The guilds go way back and Gryph does remember where Hamma hid the bodies...

Ghryphen
12-20-2011, 12:11 AM
If we don't get a fair deal, Hamma doesn't get a new PlanetSide Universe website ;)

Asp
12-20-2011, 04:07 PM
What I'd like to do personally is, as soon as we figure it out, setup a CDL channel that the ATF can monitor, and you guys can do likewise (or do one communal channel).. That way when we need people to run flashpoints/operations we can help each other out.. Sort of like a private looking for group, looking for pvp channel we can each monitor..

The server queues suck, but it will get better, and just randomly picking a new server less than a day into full launch is Russian Roulette for finding a decent one. Bioware have said now that they're artificially capping servers and forcing queues to direct new players to empty servers, so that should get better soon; and they're working on server transfers if things get too unbearable..

I can't see you guys getting a raw deal, though we may trade you Hamma, Mars, and Mani for future picks or maybe something off waivers..

Stang
12-20-2011, 06:02 PM
I'd say we can trade Silver but I just can't do that to you guys ;).

Stoke
12-21-2011, 04:16 AM
I always liked the phrase "for cash and players to be named later"....

SilverTalon
12-21-2011, 05:39 AM
CDL doesn't need me like you guys need me. :p Last night CDL mustered 28 people, so my preference remains to work with CDL.

The queue on Jung Ma was much better than advertised where it said 30 minutes and 400 people, and it took 5 minutes (surprisingly). Then later I disconnected randomly and was able to log right back in. So something somewhere has been improved.

Cannonball was there too, so now we have the cool kids. :p

In terms of trades with CDL, if we assume the contract of Hamma, we have to get Jennyboo too; they're a package deal and all. We will trade you CB and Dane, who are a nearly identical package deal.

Stoke
12-21-2011, 07:14 AM
We will trade you CB and Dane, who are a nearly identical package deal.

Commissioner Gryphon will likely veto that trade as its not in the best interest of ATF.

SilverTalon
12-21-2011, 07:41 AM
That's a bold-faced lie! Gryph would gladly trade the pair for a super-size bag of cheetos....

Stoke
12-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Supersize? Single serving.....

SilverTalon
12-21-2011, 07:52 AM
Always ask for more than you want...

In more on-topic news for everyone, please hop onto TeamSpeak if you're playing tonight to see who's on. We're trying to get the actual guild established on Jung Ma but I understand if you're in the "poking about" phase still that you don't want to sit in queue to find nobody else logged on.

Hopefully if we can get at least 3 on we can impose on CDL to make a throwaway alt for a few minutes to get the ball rolling.

Gryphon will thank you for your cooperation by asking for the 18 bag sample pack of chips when he trades you away to CDL or some other gaming franchise.