PDA

View Full Version : Got a problem...

Ardamir
09-05-2005, 04:24 PM
I went to Best Buy and bought me a MP3 player with the intention of converting my WMA's into MP3's and transferring them over to said MP3 player.

However, when I try and convert a installation program for "Ace Media Codecs-ProXP" pops up. I once installed these for Winamp and then uninstalled them a few months back. Problem is...I dont have the installion file so it crashes everytime. In fact any time I use WMP this thing trys to install and I have no idea where the permission was given to do that.

I know it has something to do with opening WMA's...any tips on how to *completely* remove this crap?

Splidz
09-05-2005, 07:21 PM
What conversion tool are you using? Have you tried finding that codec and installing it over again to see what happens? Worse case you could then uninstall it successfully if you had to.

Ardamir
09-05-2005, 08:27 PM
I reinstalled them and then tried the uninstall again and there is no difference. Reinstalled and the install bar pops up again. This isnt 1 codec, it was a package of many.

DarkFact
09-06-2005, 04:22 AM
I reinstalled them and then tried the uninstall again and there is no difference. Reinstalled and the install bar pops up again. This isnt 1 codec, it was a package of many.

Could be part of the problem there. The codec packs can be nice but they can hurt as much as they help overwriting known good codec strings already in Xp.

Ardamir
09-06-2005, 07:22 AM
So what should I do?

SilverTalon
09-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Step 1) Shut Off Computer
Step 2) Place in the middle of cleared field
Step 3) Douse with gasoline
Step 4) Add flame
Step 5) Dance gleefully around the burning heap

You could also check WMP and make sure there's not a reference to that as a plug-in (under Tools->Plug-ins) and remove anything that says...whatever the program is called. Too lazy to scroll down to the post history.

Stoke
09-06-2005, 10:25 AM
I went to Best Buy

Thats your problem right there.....:yup:

Ghryphen
09-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Did you get the extended warranty? I hope you got the extended warranty. Extended warranties extend the warranty and it is good to extend the warranty.

Ardamir
09-06-2005, 03:22 PM
Hmm...Perhaps reinstalling Windows XP would overwrite the overwrote codecs. Linara...been there done that. I did notice something interesting in Regedit, there was a codec that basically said to override WMP stuff.

Splidz
09-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Aaaahhh ha ha ha ha ROFL those last three "helpful" responses made my night.

Ard, you never told me what you're trying to use to encode the files. That might help.

It sounds to me like the problem you are having could be that you are missing the codec for the file you are trying to open. Try something for me. Open Windows Media Player, click Tools->Options, go to the Player tab, and uncheck "Download codecs automatically" (or check it if it's unchecked). See if that makes a difference.

Also, you can download a tool from Microsoft that lets you eliminate bad installs of things, that might help you get rid of your annoying codec pack for good. Just go here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

CannonBall
09-07-2005, 05:45 AM
Stop offering advice to Ardamir... it's just a joke. He didn't win the roll on a MP3 player, because no MP3 player dropped at Best Buy!!

Stang
09-07-2005, 04:10 PM
:lol: