PDA

View Full Version : Virus' and the bastards that create them....

Stoke
03-02-2006, 04:26 AM
Don't you just love it when you are just sitting there minding your own business and a little box pops up from your virus software telling you something to the effect of "wow.exe has been infected by the w32/gael.worm.a virus and has been cleaned"....

Ok, the first thing that runs through your mind is "wait a minute... my .dat files are up to date...how they hell did the virus even get through to the point of needing to be cleaned?"

Then after the initial panic, a little research on said virus shows that basically this virus is a low threat virus and it mainly just slows down network traffic as it trys to spread to other systems. It does not create any registry entries, yada yada yada......

Ok, all is well you think.... well not so fast there....

What they dont bother to tell you is that this little low threat, nothing much to be concerned about virus infects just about every damn .exe file on your computer. These .exe files also seem to get corrupted when they are cleaned. Corrupted .exe files = file's that don't work. Also, both my cd and dvd drives just went away...vanished. I got a "registry entry corrupted" message for those. That was a bitch to fix.

Needless to say, I spent hours yesterday trying to get stuff to work again.... As of shutting the thing down last night, the drives worked, WoW would load (although i was stuck at the retrieving char screen and never actually got in the game) and everything seemed mostly stable.

Maybe I'll get to play tonite.....
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

SilverTalon
03-02-2006, 07:02 AM
It would appear that your virus scanner is a lot worse than the viruses...

Stoke
03-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Mcafee for the loss

RagingSamster
03-02-2006, 11:13 AM
My company and Comcast provide free McAfee

I do not use McAfee on any of my home systems.

I use AVG - free version

http://free.grisoft.com

Stoke
03-02-2006, 11:25 AM
I use the exact same version of Mcafee used here at this large Fortune 100 company I work for...

Never had a problem with it in 3+ years.... until a couple nights ago.

Ardamir
03-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Omg Stoke! I subscribe to Fortune...Is your employer based on Charlotte?

Stoke
03-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Corporate HQ is in Charlotte. I saw the CEO today. We are #86 on the list I believe....

Cptmorgan
03-03-2006, 06:34 AM
I learned of the "Zip of Death" Virus/DoS attack yesterday... it was most enjoyable :)

Pastar
03-04-2006, 11:24 PM
ok heres one of my major problems i have avg-free adition and i scan it like everyday with it and it never picks up any viruses.. so i installed avast tonight, and it picked up 4 viruses!!! in my registery what the fuck do i do... im so scared right now that someone has been watching me!!what do i what do i do please help!!

TimberWolf
03-05-2006, 06:40 AM
You can try using TweakNow Registry Cleaner, which is a free download.

http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.html

I don't know if it will solve the problem but it will tell you of every Registry that can be deleted.

Rallos
03-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Okay guy's im a Computer freak so is my dad What i do when my comp has a virus I use Panda 2006 Virus protection it picks up from the smallest bit of Corrupt file or virus for 25.99bucks a month you can get it at WWW.Panda.com

Nizuttz
03-14-2006, 06:13 AM
computer freaks don't actually pay for their software.

Cass
03-14-2006, 08:43 AM
That sucks. That reminds me I need to get a virus scanner :(.