PDA

View Full Version : does Vanu suck? at least right now?

Splidz
04-14-2003, 09:04 AM
I haven't had the chance to play yet, still waiting for my open beta cds. But I've been doing a fair bit of reading on the beta forums, and pretty much everyone seems to agree: VS are the underdogs.

Apparently our weapons suck. The TR chaingun and the NC phoenix seem to be very powerful, with no comparison in power on the Vanu side. Also, weapons like the "cycler" seem to be very popular and better than any assault rifle that we have. So, you guys who have been playing: what's up with Vanu? Do you think we're going to get improved? Are equal numbers of VS and NC or TR a match for each other, or do we need extra numbers to do okay? Is increased mobility enough of a benefit to counteract superior firepower from our enemies? Will teamwork lessen the benefits that, say, the ability to fire a guided missile (the phoenix) unseen and far away give to an empire?

Ghryphen
04-14-2003, 09:12 AM
The guided missiles suck. Not only do they have AA MAXs, they have guided missles so it does't take a MAX to take out aircraft. And the guided missles will take out a Reaver in two shots.

I'm sticking to VS though. People have just not learned the abilities yet of VS I dont think. The Magrider and Thrasher do not get used enough. And once people get used to the Pulsar again since they are fixing the coding error that was causing it to do less damage, it should get better.

the46
04-14-2003, 11:05 AM
It doesn't matter what you read... when you add ATF to VS = unbeatable..

Ashaman
04-14-2003, 11:33 AM
Yeah... from what I can gather, we're the most organized outfit. As well as having an abundance of experience and skill along with some people that think strategy and tactics.

AvengerX
04-14-2003, 11:33 AM
From what I read, in the first couple weeks, the Vanu managed to lock down some continents. Also it looks like in the last few days they managed to lock down another one. Sounds pretty damn good to me.

Ghryphen
04-14-2003, 11:56 AM
Yeah VS was the first to lock down a continent in the beta. They almost always have a continent lock, or very close to one. I don't think the other empires can say the same. I think Vanu attracts more dedicated skilled players, where the other empires just pick up those who don't understand the Vanu technology, I see a lot of coordinated attacks. Though the flock does move from one base to another instead of splitting up and holding separate bases.

Stang
04-14-2003, 12:00 PM
And how can you pass up PURPLE :imu:

Spinning Hat
04-14-2003, 01:01 PM
VS is the thinking man's outfit. We've had some of the most coordinated tactics on the fly that you could have in the game. It was sweet.

Splidz
04-14-2003, 01:15 PM
Well, this is all good to hear. It just seems that on the forums, there is wide agreement that Vanu needs some better weapons. I certainly don't have a problem with the developers agreeing and then deciding to bump up our weapon damage a bit. :D I was just worried that some of our guns are crap.

Dionisus
04-14-2003, 01:28 PM
I honestly think that is a load of BS. Every time i hope on it seems like Vanu is dominating. I have seen VS repel attacks, while I don't think I have ever been involved in an unsuccesful base assault. I dont know, personally I think those other empries have some good weapons, but the VS overall just seems to rape em.

Second, I have been watching the Lasher and that gun kicks ass. I have seen that thing just destroy MAXs, and the Pulsar is sweet too. I used it all day yesterday and it was a killer. Second, the jump jets give our MAXs a HUGE advantage. I can enter and leave a fight at will without getting bogged down, and we attacking a base i just have to jet over the wall and then i am on the 2nd level where I have a distinct advantage.

I don't think I would want to touch another empire.

AvengerX
04-14-2003, 02:15 PM
And there you have it folks, Dio owns the thread :)

Ashaman
04-14-2003, 02:35 PM
With his ASS SMELL!!!!!

Spinning Hat
04-14-2003, 02:44 PM
Dio is right, but the Pulsar IMO, blows goats. I get more kills with Commmon weapons than I do Vanu Tech. Also, I have issues with the netcode and damages... I can run around a corner from someone, while being shot, and still take damage upto 1 full SECOND after darting around a corner away from the fire. now, if that's the damn Chaingun hitting me, that second means instant and total obliteration. Not my Idea of a fair or fun fight. Things need to be fixed a bit, and hopefully lots of stuff will get tweaked during Open Beta.

Stang
04-14-2003, 04:49 PM
I agree some of Vanu's weapons can be tweaked. That chaingun can be just rediculous compared to some of Vanu's weapons. They need to at least make all the weapons some what balanced.

Yeah what the hell is up with that going around a corner or getting behind a heavy and their bullets can arch and still get you? I dont think so :nono: .

Vanu sure can hold their own though and has some kickass fights.

Ravin
04-14-2003, 05:58 PM
The Cycler is their premium medium assault rifle like the Pulsar is ours. Right now there is no comparison. I've nabbed a few Cyclers and tried them out. Their cone of fire when kneeling is just sick considering how many bullets are being fired. Basically, its like a Punisher rifle with better zoom, better fire rate, tighter cone of fire and no grenade launcher.

On the other hand, our Pulsar has a very loose cone of fire, slower rate of fire and worst of all, it let's EVERYONE know where you are. The damage thing is bad too of course but that's supposed to get fixed soon.

The Lasher has lots of potential. It's damage is adequate considering its rate of fire. It share's the Pulsar's problem in that it lets everyone know where you are. The biggest problem I have with it atm is that its projectiles are still way too slow. It's also an extremely inaccurate weapon over more than close range. This thing is great for close quarters or firing into loads of badguys. This is supposed to be comparable to the TR chain gun. I think not.

While our MAX's seem to accel against their intended targets, they lack any versatility whatsoever. Yes, they can jumpjet. That's their only saving grace. NC and TR both have AA-MAXs that are nasty against infantry while their AI-MAXs are pretty tough on vehicles as well. Our MAXs seem to have shorter lifespans in heavy fighting tho I'm not sure if this is unbalanced armor or just more effective enemy weapons.

All that junk considered, I could live with our weapons being weaker or more specialized if they would focus NC and TR MAXs the way ours are.

AvengerX
04-14-2003, 06:38 PM
As far as the Max's are concerned, I believe that the VS Max isn't supposed to be able to hold up well in a toe-to-toe firefight with a TR or NC Max.

SirDiesalot
04-14-2003, 07:03 PM
it would be interesting to see the numbers of just how many people are in each empire total. i remember a long time ago they said something like there will be incentives/ bonuses to join an empire with fewer people on it. but as it is... it seems like since the TR and NC are relatively similar other than the max's special feature, the lock on missles and color preference. where as the VS is quite different, so it may attract a higher percentage compared to the other two. if it's the case that the VS does have more numbers, our weapons SHOULD be weaker. if you like team play, play for VS, if you want to try to be a lone wolf, the higher powered weapons of the other empires would suit you better.

Ghryphen
04-14-2003, 07:21 PM
VS has actually had lower numbers. You can type
/who NC
/who TR
/who VS
and get the totals. VS is usually lowest.

Dionisus
04-14-2003, 08:53 PM
Which is interesting because the other day we were taking XP hits for having the most people.

I dont know, i think VS is the way to go, but that is just me.

Sorry about my grammar on the other post, i was prolly drunk :)

Spinning Hat
04-14-2003, 09:35 PM
No, we were getting 1% increases of XP for having the least...

Walks on Clouds
04-14-2003, 11:44 PM
I think I've heard one of the devs say that it's not actually about the NUMBER olf players dedicated to an empire that counts towards underdog incentives, but rather the amount of PLAY HOURS each empire has. So the more dedicated players is on your empire, the less XP you'll get compared to the others. I think...

Maz
04-15-2003, 05:02 AM
it was 2% last nigth

SirDiesalot
04-15-2003, 10:35 AM
as in + 2 %?

Maz
04-15-2003, 10:44 AM
as in yes

SirDiesalot
04-15-2003, 10:50 AM
instead of - 2 %

jonnyb
04-15-2003, 12:13 PM
my opinion, the VS suck against any enemy max. there were 2 NC maxes holding a base last night and about 15 light armored guys could not take one of them down.... of course they were guarding the CC so with the gay ass grief system about everyone in my squad ended up having about 500 grief points for trying to kill 2 maxes. NO weaponry we have can match NC of TR. lasher is cool, but considering how i got over 1400 grief points for using it..... yeah real cool....

honestly, i think if we stick with VS something good might come up. but yes our weapons blow against enemy Maxes.

Ashaman
04-15-2003, 01:18 PM
We're supposed to represent the technological weapons right? Shouldn't that also mean that our assaults should be done intelligently?

(Not saying that you weren't being smart, johnny, but I've seen people just fling themselves against a tank crew in T2. A good tank crew can last a long time, unless the other side gets smart about how they attack it.)

SirDiesalot
04-15-2003, 01:26 PM
yup, if you go in with light, you can chain whore/disk spam/nade spam/lance/snipe/blaster(?)/laze till the maps over and the tank won't take damage unless the blaster goes through vehicle shields, which i can't remember if the most recent version it does or not. but unless you go at it prefferably with missles or you and some buddies are l33t mort spammers, it's gonna keep killin u

now that my T2 rant is done, umm... just cuz we're organized and the VS seem to (for the most part) be more organized that the other empires right now, who's to say that other empires won't get more organized and then finall lay the smacking down ownage that makes babies cry

Dionisus
04-15-2003, 02:21 PM
I disagree JB. Yesterday lots of ATF were moving through a continent, and most of us were lights and we had NO problem ripping through NC and TR MAXs. The Lancer works quite well and ripping em up.

Im sorry, I just dont think VS weapons are very weak at all. I agree that we don't have that one dominating weapon, but I think that all our weapons work well when used in the right situation.

ICE9
04-15-2003, 02:28 PM
My main gripe is that our ENERGY weapons have such a HUGE spread?

How is it that a laser beam causes huge spread, but a chaingun firing rediculous numbers of rounds does not.

When i'm an AI max outdoors the enimies just strafe back and forth and between the lag and shot spread half my shots miss them from 3 feet away. To make it worse the half that do hit don't even do any substantial dammage.

The real problem with the AI max compared to others, is the speed of kill. Thier maxes can kill infantry instantly. However, even if i get the jump on a light from behind, they have time to arm the uber rocket, turn around, and take 1/2 my armor in 1 shot. So even if i die, i have no way to kill them before loosing half my life.

Spinning Hat
04-15-2003, 03:32 PM
yeah, it sucks. I used to enjoy the Pulsar, ut I switched to common pool weapons, and I started dying less. Hopefully, with the new patch, The Pulsar will be better.

Dionisus
04-15-2003, 04:02 PM
Bleh, maybe I am just blind but i like the Pulsar:(

Ghryphen
04-15-2003, 04:12 PM
I went into training and set the pulsar to AP and shot a MAX point blank with two clips and nothing happened. I switched to the Punisher with AP and a clip killed him. I may have taken down the armor with the Pulsar, and that helped, I will have to test it more.

Ravin
04-15-2003, 05:11 PM
I forget exactly how many bullets it takes from a Punisher but its close to 2 AP clips.

Maz
04-16-2003, 04:32 AM
the shotgun works really good with MAX, but you have to be up close

Dionisus
04-16-2003, 10:37 AM
I like the shotgun, i normally carry it around with me on my medium assault, it is a good indoor weapon.

Maz
04-16-2003, 12:12 PM
I usually carry 2 frag grenades and a shotgun

tuftedpuffin
04-16-2003, 03:42 PM
http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/planetside-vanusovereignty/Forum2/HTML/001247.html

This is a funny commentary on the topic of the weaknesses of Vanu energy weapons and hovercraft. :)

(BTW, I'm Gambit from the XMEN. I used the new name because "Gambit" was taken already, as were acceptable variants. Should I post in the apps forum to join up?)

Ghryphen
04-16-2003, 03:43 PM
Alliance team members are in. tuftedpuffin :eek:

Joe Shmoe
04-16-2003, 07:02 PM
Could you possibly pick a more gay name Gambit?

tuftedpuffin
04-16-2003, 07:05 PM
Hey, the Puffin and I have a long and glorious history!

For example, try saying "TuftedPuffin" several times fast when you're, um, less than sober. ;)

=G=

Ashaman
04-16-2003, 07:08 PM
:lol:

OMG! I was thinking of posting something like that, Joe, but I couldn't think of anything!

:lol:

Sidewinder
04-17-2003, 12:02 AM
Dionisus you claim that the Vanu weapons don't suck as much as we claim they do. Have you ever tried stealing an enemy Chaingun/Cycler/Gauss Rifle? I'm sure your good at the game but can you back up your opinion? All 3 of them can totally blow BOTH of our rifles (Pulsar and Lasher) right out of the water. When I have a lasher I can usually take out a chaingunner indoors simply because I consider myself to be extremely good with the weapon and I usually have way more skill/experience then that enemy. When I steal either of those 3 mentioned weapons I become unstoppable 1 on 1 full health vs full health infantry, my kills easily triple. Our weapons are nowhere near the power of those weapons and thats what we are trying to get at.

I forgot to mention MAX's. Ravin hit it right on the nose. Our maxs have the best special ability but they are merely a convenience and only good at getting to where you want to go faster. The jumpjets are also good for running away so you don't get your ass kicked by superior weapons. Hmmmm, suddenly our jump jets don't mean much do they? Their MAX's can go everywhere ours can almost just as fast and they usually deal about 2x the damage that ours can deal out, especially the TR MAX's. Lets talk about TR's AI MAX. It has a 100 round clip and can go into a room and take out a reinforced Exo suit armor in about 2 seconds, then it goes to the next one. Finally it clears the whole room and kills about 5 infantry with 1 clip. Now lets look at our MAX, ours has a clip of 40 rounds and can take out about 2 infantry IF every single shot hits. Usually you always have to reload after every kill since hitting them with all your shots is pretty hard. Basically our AI max doesn't even compare to the TR's.

Now lets talk about the other 2 MAX's. Vanu has the Anti-armor MAX with a clip of 10 rounds which are slow moving energy balls. The TR MAX has at least double the clip size and fires very very powerful grenades at a rate faster than ours can. don't get me wrong, both MAX's are pretty much balanced when it comes to killing vehicles/other MAX's. What ISN'T fair is that theirs are about 5 times more effective vs infantry then ours is which makes them way more effective. They can mow down infantry with them grenades faster then our AI max can and the grenades have a HUGE blast radius.

The only MAX that we have thats more effective vs its intended target is our AA max. Our AA max can tear apart a reaver in seconds if you "time" yours shots. You have a clip of 4 rounds and it takes exactly 8 to take our a reaver. You simply fire 4 rounds into the air, hell, you don't even have to fire them in the general direction of the plane. Then you reload and fire 4 more then you move your reticule on the plane and get an instant lock and all 8 plasma balls zoom to the plane at incredible speed and the reaver goes up in an instant mushroom cloud without it even having a chance to know whats going on > : ). BUT our AA max totally SUCKS against infantry. 1 infantry with AP bullets can take out one of our AA maxs. The other 2 AA maxs can easily down infantry and have much much larger ammo clips, way more then 4 shots.

My solutions:

-Double the speed of the lasher projectiles

-Fix the pulsar (NEXT PATCH ITS GETTING FIXED YAY, it might even be as powerful as the other empires)

-Nerf the other empires MAX's so that the non AI max's are not so DAMN powerful against infantry. Lower their damage vs flesh but keep it the same vs its intended type. EXAMPLE: keep the TR AA max's damage vs aircraft the same but slash the damage vs infantry by more then half. That way infantry with anti armor weapons can actually take them out 1 on 1 like they should. The other 2 empires infantry can take our our AA max EASILY if they have any sort of anti armor weapon.

-Give our AI max a slightly larger clip or make it more effective vs infantry.

Sidewinder
04-17-2003, 12:13 AM
I have played all 3 empires and have tested every weapon in the game and can back up ALL of my claims, just so it doesn't sound like I'm talking out my ass ;). I am kinda wrong about 1 thing though, our jumpjets are very very nice but the other empires MAX's are still overall way more powerful. That still doesn't change the FACT that our side needs improvement and the others need some slight nerfing.

tuftedpuffin
04-17-2003, 05:37 AM
Well, here's how the different empires' wepons philosophy is SUPPOSED to work, according to the manual:
--------------
Terran Republic -
Though usually not as powerful as NC equipment in a shot-for-shot basis, the Terran Republic's equipment exemplifies the "more is better" attitude especially when the - more' is lead. Therefore their weapons generally fire faster which is exemplified in both their Medium Assault weapon, the Cycler, and their Heavy Assault Weapon, the Chaingun. Furthermore their vehicles such as the Marauder (Heavy Assault Buggy) and the Prowler (Heavy Assault Tank) can carry two independent gunners vs. the equivalent Vanu Sovereignty or New Conglomerate vehicles that only have one gunner.

New Conglomerate -
The New Conglomerate's equipment generally can deliver the most punch up in a single but slower firing shot. This is typified by the NC's Assault Tank, the Vanguard that packs the largest cannon available but with the slowest rate of fire. Further illustrating the NC's love for pure punch is their Jackhammer, a Tri-Barreled Auto shotgun that can tear up enemy soldiers and vehicles at short range but quickly loses effectiveness as distance to the target increases.

Vanu Sovereignty -
Flexibility and mobility are what the Vanu Sovereignty are about. Their equipment may lack the sheer power or rate of fire that their enemies enjoy but their built-in Armor Piercing mode for their weapons gives them the flexibility in combat that can't be matched. Likewise, though their vehicles may not have quite the top speed of other vehicles, the ability to move across water allows them to strike from unexpected angles and thus shift the tide of battle easier than a conventional attack upon an entrenched opponent.

(and then this answers another question that was brought up earlier...)
Empire Incentives or Disincentives
These bonuses/penalties are constantly in flux in relation to the number of hours played by each Empire in the last 24 hours. As more players from an Empire log on and play over time, their incentives/disincentives will be altered accordingly.
----------------

So, it looks as though the VS is supposed to have weaker, slower weapons, but has ability to deliver them better. Obviously, how MUCH weaker is still being tweaked.

Maz
04-17-2003, 06:08 AM
I beleaive it's currently too weak, hopefully the patch helpd our pulsar gun

Ashaman
04-17-2003, 11:50 AM
It makes sense that a grenade launcher would be extremely effective against infantry, but a plasma weapon would not. Yeah if the round hit, it would roast the person. But plasma weapons, from a physics standpoint, are better suited against armor like tanks.

Ashaman
04-17-2003, 11:57 AM
Is there a greater damage percentage for headshots? I'd have to also say that from a physics standpoint, a directed energy weapon such as a laser would not be highly effective against infantry if it hit on the torso. The wounds would cauterize instantly and not slow the person down much. A head wound would be disastrous since the brain is made of fatty material and would instantly be cauterized, but portions of it would also melt like a stick of butter on a hot pan.

I'm just coming at this from a physics standpoint. No, I have not played the game. But the way that I see it is that the weapons are useful, and very specific to their use. Maybe the weapons also require more finesse to use properly. Then again, you could easily shut my comments down by pointing out that I have not played the game yet. I'm just wondering if you've tried everything as thoroughly as you've said. ;)

Freebird
04-17-2003, 12:50 PM
No separate hit zones between head and body.

Try to think that they improved head gear so much in the future, it just does the same amount of damage. :D

SmackDab
04-21-2003, 08:48 AM
Man I didn't know Vanu weapons were so shitty before the patch. Did it really tweak things out? I wasn't home to test before the major patch changed everything.

jonnyb
04-21-2003, 10:02 AM
welll... the punsiher is still the only thing worthy. pulsar still blows. lasher i havent tried cuz no heavy assault cert. the shitgun ownz maxes with AP ammo in it. i took down a TR max(ooooo......ahhhhh........) with only 2 clips, 8 rounds each clip. with pulsar on AP mode it wouldve taken like 100 clips!

i think it was malthus..... maybe, who said teh decimator owns Maxes.

Freebird
04-21-2003, 10:46 AM
AP ammo isn't supposed to do much to a MAX at all. Get a couple AV people to own the MAX and then you're golden, or maybe a squad with AP ammo all shooting the MAX. I've also heard that plasma grenades help.

Malthus
04-21-2003, 10:52 AM
Hat uses the Decimator against mxes...like 2-3 shots I believe.

I love the pulsar, we were cleaning up with it last night, especially while the NC fumbled to draw their missle launcher at point blank range :)

Spinning Hat
04-21-2003, 10:54 AM
Yeah, the Decimator is sweet agaionst maxes.

Fyunch Click
04-21-2003, 11:15 AM
My personal views regarding the Vanu AI Max, and general grumbles.

1st grumble: The VS use energy weapons, that would imply some form of powerplant or energy source, not cartridges that are fired. My thoughts are do away with "ammo" for energy weapons. Make them run off a man portable powerplant, if you run down the power you cannot fire, sort of like overheating your guns in BF1942 or in Wolfenstein and/or you can overcharge the shot as well, again temporarily preventing you from firing again immediately. That makes more logical sense to me: A weapon, that if used properly, can always fire and NEVER run out of ammo.
It seems to me that that is a better idea of the combination of Alien Tech and such.

As to the Vanu AI MAX: That is my baby.
For all intensive purposes Vanu HAS to be in balanced squads moving together, one Vanu cannot and will not be able to go toe to toe with either enemy.
The Secondary fire on the Max is useless, AFAIC. Why? Beause it's fire rate far outstrips it's ammo supply and it's less effective.
I say didtch the secondary fire and if we must have ammo, double the ammo amount.
Don't get me wrong, the AI Max can kick some serious NC tail. I took out around 12-15 people in a base stairwell and allowed our group to enter the base. It wa a pain in the ass to have to reload every 3 seconds though.
I like the feel of the AI Max, it plays well within the group, (as long as compatriots don't run in front of my guns :) )
But the Vanu have to work together and be coordinated, no lone wolfing it on the Vanu side. The other sides allow much more of the Lone Wolf approach, IMHO, due to their firepower and armor.

I think that the Vanu grav vehicles should be able to go over water of any depth, much like hovercraft can do now.
I think that removing the damage to Vanu from a Lasher was a step in the right direction.
I would also like to see the cone of fire cut in half for all energy weapons.
I would like to see a damage increase for Vanu weapons of around 25-35%. All our bullets are supposed to be "default" AP which is why unless the target is shielded the target should recieve more damage. Failing that a reduction in damage of 15-20% of the other sides would be fair.

The game is fun, if still a bit wonky, I would just like to see the Vanu be able to better "compete" militarily with the other sides.

jonnyb
04-21-2003, 11:50 AM
AP shots DO do damage to maxes..... fucks them up pretty good too, but maybe it was the shotgun that was bringing on the hurt.

Walks on Clouds
04-21-2003, 12:18 PM
After spending some time in the VR shooting range, I figured out that about 3 or 4 plasma grenades do away with any NC or TR MAX, so use them plasma grenades boys! The Rocklet secondary fire, when it empties all barrels at once is pretty hard on MAXes at short range. One of those and a couple rounds more, and they're down.

And johnnyB, you're not even in the neighbourhood of the amount of damage the Pulsar dishes out against MAXes in AP mode. I'd say, judging from my small experience that about 2-3 clips does the trick.

Furhtermore, when it comes to COF, I certainly do hope that you guys remember to fire in bursts, not full auto. Don't go out there firing full auto and complain about the cone of fire, please. :D

Ashaman
04-21-2003, 12:23 PM
Yep. I can handle myself pretty good with the rifle energy weapon (pulsar?... the one available to regular infantry).

Took out several Reavers, a few Mosquitos, a Harasser, and a couple of MAX's with that loadout. Though with the MAX's I was tossing plasma grenades at them first. I even pissed off a Reaver pilot so much he decided to ram me as I was firing at him. I didn't move in time, because I wasn't sure if he was going to fly over or not. Heh.

Ashaman
04-21-2003, 12:24 PM
What I forgot to mention is that I fire my weapon in bursts. Even though I use secondary mode, the bursts help to conserve ammo. So the probability cone for the rounds is small compared to if you go full auto.
;)

Ambush_Bug
04-21-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Fyunch Click

For all intensive purposes Vanu HAS to be in balanced squads moving together, one Vanu cannot and will not be able to go toe to toe with either enemy.

Sorry, I'm the son of an English/Lit teacher and thus a born Grammar Nazi. The bolded phrase above is supposed to be 'intents and purposes', not 'intensive purposes'. (eg: ....for all intents and purposes...)

Nothing personal, d00d. :)

Dionisus
04-21-2003, 02:59 PM
When close quarters I just hold down the trigger and spray those big fucking MAXs.

jonnyb
04-21-2003, 03:23 PM
u swedish people :D sarcasm!! hahaha

Ravin
04-21-2003, 06:23 PM
Thanks Bug, that was gonna kill me.

SirDiesalot
04-21-2003, 06:26 PM
heheh, that should be his title... grammar nazi.. self professed even.

AvengerX
04-22-2003, 06:59 AM
Back on topic though, the last couple nights I've played the Vanu have been able to hold their own, especially ATF. We took over a number of facilities, only to move on to the next facility and have the previous one hacked again. I guess thats what happens when you don't have a whole lot of people in the game yet...

Ambush_Bug
04-22-2003, 07:42 AM
Well, I've found out that my AA MAX comes in damn handy. I was dropping folks in via my Galaxy, then following the squad in to the equipment terminals, and then loading up with my MAX after that.

With the jumpjets, I could easily make it onto the facility's roof and hide out up there between various pieces of architechture, popping out to blow away Reavers and Mosquitoes with my homing cannon. Very nice, and it was fun watching those Reavers run for a change. :)

Say, can all empires' MAXes run, or just ours?

tuftedpuffin
04-22-2003, 08:11 AM
All can run. Only Vanu can fly. :)

Fyunch Click
04-22-2003, 10:51 AM
Lol...
If that is the only fuckup you couldn't stand Rav and Bug then I'm doing well. :)

(Yes, the lack of punctuation was purposeful.)

Dionisus
04-22-2003, 01:49 PM
ya AB, i have been doing that for awhile. It really comes in handy for all MAXs. I just hop up there, pick at a few infantry, piss em off.... they can't get me unless they send reavers at ya... and if you are an AA MAX :) :) :)

Ravin
04-22-2003, 05:10 PM
Nah. I'm not half as much grammer nazi as spelling nazi. But I try really hard to ignore that stuff since I make plenty of mistakes as well.

Stigma
04-23-2003, 05:56 PM
I have been against the idea of us being Vanu from the very begginning. I hate energy weapons and I've had a serious hard on for the TR MAX.

That said, I played about 9 hours last night with both Vanu and TR. What I saw from Vanu was impressive. Note that I was playing only as a Heavy MAX on both empires.

IMO from one day's play, I'd take the Vanu MAX over the Terran MAX. Of course, I've got a lot to learn, but I didn't appreciate how effective the Vanu MAX is until fought against one while playing Terran. They are much stronger than some of you think. The Terran special ability to lock down on the ground looks fucking cool, but it can be infuriatingly annoying. Try locking down against a MAX than can out manuever you in a second...it can be a bitch. Now, Terran MAXes have their place (indoors) and believe me, I don't like running into them, but they suck ass outdoors in comparison to Vanu. Someone mentioned that they can get to bases faster. Damn, is that ever true. The whole map changes when you go a different race...suddenly you can't just get into a base...you gotta run circles around the damn thing to get to an entrance (*tick tock*) and it can take a while to get to the top levels to give support. With Vanu it all becomes much more simple.

I don't think a Vanu MAX would win in a toe to toe battle with a locked down Terran MAX, but you don't have to fight toe to toe. Believe me, I wanted the strongest thing out there, but sometimes strength is not determined by hitpoints and firepower alone.

BTW: I walked into a base yesterday with an anti-infantry MAX. I must have shredded at least 18 guys close to a spawn area...total mayhem

last thing, something to remember when you play against Terran: those chainguns are badass, but we might be giving them more credit than they are due. They are constant right? that means, not only are we getting hit a lot, we feel like it. Don't let the rate of fire intimidate you. Sure, dodge around, but don't stop fighting...just because a Terran MAXes health isn't going down doesn't mean his shields ain't getting shot to shit. I faced off with a few Vanu lights who put up one hell of a fight against me yesterday. Yeah, I killed them in the end, but they tore my shields to shit

Dionisus
04-23-2003, 08:01 PM
I honestly have a 3-1 kill rate against TR AI MAXs.... i fought a ton of em today and I just owned em with my AP Mode on the Quaser...

Besides that, we can charge a base and be over the wall before the enemy even knows what is going on.

Dionisus
04-23-2003, 08:01 PM
I honestly have a 3-1 kill rate against TR AI MAXs.... i fought a ton of em today and I just owned em with my AP Mode on the Quaser...

Besides that, we can charge a base and be over the wall before the enemy even knows what is going on.

Walks on Clouds
04-24-2003, 12:18 AM
I've been using hand-held plasma grenades quite a lot recently, and I really like them. I've killed rather many with them as of late. The aggravated burning damage is really nice. Works fine against MAXes and any other fairly slow moving people. I am also going for the Lasher when I reach my next BR. That is one hell of a weapon!

Maz
04-24-2003, 04:57 AM
I use plasma grenades also, it really hurts MAX