PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Broadband

0ri0n
05-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Theres a chance I might move to a remote location and I wonder if anyone had suggestions on satellite broadband companies or suggestions. Appreciate the help.

Orion:cry: :D

RagingSamster
05-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Ping will kill you, the satellites are geosychronous, so... 22.3K miles away up and down then up and down to you is 89k miles relativistically speaking thats 500ms of lag in the system before the intarweb gets involved.

I'd check for the possibility of cellular modems - Verizon is starting to go international and cingular has a large international presence. It all depends on how "remote" remote is.

Stoke
05-23-2007, 03:43 PM
From everything I read last year when I had no cable or dsl... satellite internet is great! good download speeds, good reliability. However, in every article, after spouting off about all the good things about it, they always threw in the "not suitable for online gaming" for the exact reasons Sambalam mentioned.

I just weathered through a couple months of dialup (which actually wasnt *that* bad) until we got our DSL.

0ri0n
05-24-2007, 07:23 AM
Well there is a chance I could get an opportunity to move into company housing in the Adirondack State Park. If we do it, its like living in a camp. LoL.
I think the closet DSL is several miles away, I dont know if we will do it or not, its the wifes call. But the house would only cost me 400 bucks a month and I would be right on the river and a reservoir. Very nice location but the house would be a tight fit for my 3 kids and us. But I would be able to sock a bunch a money away for a couple of years. Thanks for the help. I can get a cingular cell phone to work there. My cell phone is verizon but my company cell phone is cingular. Thanks again.

Orion