PDA

View Full Version : Since all football things are competitions...

SilverTalon
08-29-2008, 09:35 AM
ESPN produced their highly subjective and completely unscientific rating of NFL fans.

However, I largely agree with their ratings. To see how things shook out fully go to http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview08/columns/story?id=3530077

I'll summarize the salient points of franchises followed here and by who:

#1 Steelers - Why do I want to say SpinningHat?
#4 Iggles - Silvertalon - Suck It Bitches. Philly ftw!
#8 Patriots - Reme - Because the Patriots make it look like their end zone is Reme's ass; easy to penetrate and accommodates many folks and often.
#13 Da Bears - Banne - In their defense, there's not been much to cheer about other than their punt returner.
#20 Seahawks - Gryph and Stang - No respect for the wrong coast I guess.
#25 Panthers - Stokette - Really, I'm surprised they made it that high...
#28 Dolphins - Daneford - They have even less to cheer about than the Bears...
#30 Falcons - CB - Hey, at least you beat the Lions and Cardinals?
#34 Cowgirls - Torm - Ok, so maybe the Cowboys were ranked at #12...but this is where the Cowboys belong on all rankings until the NFL has 35 or more teams. :)

Stoke
08-29-2008, 11:24 AM
The Kittys have the worst fans in the league.... The "true" fans are all but forced to sit way high in the upper decks. The folks with the good seats are the wine and cheese - in by the 2nd quarter, out by the 4th quarter peeps that only show up in decent weather.

Its been well documented that the lower bowl area is basically a social gathering spot for the city's wealthy and elite that could less about any activity on the field.

The other big drawback is that due to the relatively young age of the team, the fact that for years this was Redskins territory and then mix in the high number of residents transplanted from other cities with much older teams, sometimes the Panthers can seem like the visiting team in their own stadium due to the HUGE number of fans that show up for the opposing team - especially when Green Bay or Pittsburgh come to town.

From an old article on CNNSI.com.....

"Even though it's been a little over a decade [since the Panthers began play], people are still learning to be football fans ... in basketball country." Perhaps that's why Bank of America Stadium is "one of the quietest in the league." "There are people who will ask you to sit down on third-and-goal with the game on the line and the Panthers D on the field." "Panthers fans have a reputation for being a 'wine-and-cheese' crowd," where a "lady can walk into the lower level with a fur coat on," and fans are "often more worried about getting the wave started than a late fourth-quarter drive." "Many fans have a poor knowledge of football" and "have not learned how to cheer enough to create a hostile environment for the other team." In fact, "depending on whom the Panthers play, the other team's fans [often] outnumber Panthers' fans," a situation some attribute to a combination of Carolina "being relatively new in the league," and the city's "many transplants" "from NYC, Philly, Atlanta, etc." Admittedly, "we are not as rowdy as some fans; we are friendly and fun, not angry and hurtful, and we accommodate fans of other teams with good-natured ribbing." That may be admirable, but that's "not much of a home field advantage."

Stoke
08-29-2008, 11:34 AM
More internet chop busting....

They get criticized for being a "wine and cheese" crowd all the time, but it really is sort of true. Add the fact that this (NC) was all Redskin country prior to the expansion in the early ninteies. It is hard to see your old friends so many years claiming to be a "lifelong Panthers fan" when you remember they are from Cleveland (or wherever)... It is hard not to give fair-weather fans a hard time...They lost half of their potential fanbase the year before they started playing when they released their logo. Silver and teal? Even today, half the clothing in Goodwill stores here are Carolina Panther swag that no one wants to wear.

They call Carolina Panthers fans the wine and cheese crowd, because they fill the stadium when the weather is fair and get booted from the stands for doing harmless things like cursing and taking off their shirts.

SilverTalon
08-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Meanwhile, Philly has a judge in the stadium to quickly and efficiently dole out sentences for gameday offenses. The American ideal of a quick and speedy trial given form.

PHILLY FTW!!

FLY EAGLES FLY!

RéMe
08-31-2008, 10:02 PM
we'll see what you're saying about the Patsies when they go all the way this year...

scoring and they slightly upgraded the defense.. and of course, the best coach in the league.

CannonBall
08-31-2008, 10:32 PM
We got Matt Ryan.

Stoke
09-01-2008, 05:22 AM
scoring and they slightly upgraded the camera system.. and of course, the best cheater in the league.

Fixed.

Moomoomoo
09-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Fixed.

:lol:

Shadowspirit
09-01-2008, 06:12 PM
At least your not a Chiefs fan. I'm get more and more disappointed every year. The Raiders are going to do better then us.

RéMe
09-02-2008, 03:57 AM
*sigh* one little camera where there's not supposed to be one.. sheesh

Stoke
09-02-2008, 04:29 AM
Cheat once.... you'll cheat again.

SilverTalon
09-02-2008, 05:32 AM

Women say this to me so often...it must be true!

Stoke
09-02-2008, 08:12 AM

Women say this to me so often...it must be true!

Obviously its in reference to when you switch from your right hand to your left.....

SilverTalon
09-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Obviously its in reference to when you switch from your right hand to your left.....

I would NEVER! Mainly because my left hand is completely uncoordinated at even the most basic tasks. It's like asking Stoke to do anything useful on an instance run! Sure, it might happen, but largely out of sheer luck than of any attributable effort. You know...the way the Carolina Panthers win all their games?

That's right...I've tied your hometown team into masturbation (and put ATF on a whole new Google index) since everyone knows the only way the Panthers beat anyone is under those circumstances. OOOOOO! :)

Stoke
09-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Mainly because my left hand is completely uncoordinated at even the most basic tasks.:)

I'd have to disagree mainly due the large amount of time you spent honing your gaming skills.... that requires better than average use of the off hand. I'd say your argument is null and void. :yup:

asking Stoke to do anything useful on an instance run...

I'd say your chances of ever receiving another healthstone or summons from me is also null and void. :D

I've tied your hometown team into masturbation.....

Nothing new here as we all know the Kittys season usually degrades into a big circle-jerk anyway.

SilverTalon
09-02-2008, 11:53 AM
my left hand handles WASD and maybe the 1-5 keys....my right hand handles 5 through =, the shift of those, the [.],\ and ' keys and the number pad. :)

So 9 vs....24? :) I think it's clear which one is the superior hand...by almost a treble factor.

I mean, that'd be like settling for a Stoke-class mage when we could have a Baller-class one! You just wouldn't do it!

Stoke
09-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Oh I see how it is.....You had to bring Baller into it now....

SilverTalon
09-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Well, if we're going to discuss self-gratification...why not use what Stoke envisions when engaged in the practice? :)

Spinning Hat
09-03-2008, 01:47 AM
Unfortunately, I can not claim to be a fan of the Steelers... I am a lowly #19 Vikings fan... I have to say that the atmosphere in the dome is unlike anything you're likely to hear unless you go to Indy.. I've been to the Metrodome for many things... Remember when the twins won the Division on the last day in 2006? I was there, and the typical Vikes game is louder... And the sellout crowd was going nuts. (You can fit about 10000 more fans in the stadium for football..) It's a great atmosphere, but there's not enough parking close to really be able to tailgate... And in general, Minnesota fans are kinda flighty.. one bad game, and you lose a lot of the fans because they lost.. It's sad, but I bleed Purple, Maroon and Gold.. (Go Gophers!)

Moomoomoo
09-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Rumor has it Mr. Tom Brady is out for the season. i hope so.

Stoke
09-08-2008, 03:01 AM
I am recovering my near heart attack yesterday...... I cant take too many more 2 minute drills like that.

Who would have thought there would be a game winning TD pass (to the 2nd TE at that) with 2 seconds left....

SilverTalon
09-08-2008, 04:09 AM
Indeed...good finish.

More entertaining than, say, watching your team utterly dominate an outclassed team from the word go...but hey, they're all wins. :)

Stoke
09-08-2008, 04:23 AM
More entertaining than, say, watching your team utterly dominate an outclassed team from the word go...but hey, they're all wins. :)

I hear thats what the Bills fans were saying...

The Kittys were pretty much an all across the board prediction to lose. Everyone was saying "this might be the year the Chargers finally take down the Pats....." Most predictions by the so called experts were saying that while the Kittys might keep it close, there was still no way they would win.

Its a known fact in the NFL, anything can and sometimes will happen.....

I think that noise we're hearing this morning are the walls starting to crumble over there in Reme's little world...

SilverTalon
09-08-2008, 05:27 AM
Nah, Belicheat has the finest radio intercept gear in the league, on loan from the NSA. They'll be fine I'm sure.

CannonBall
09-08-2008, 06:37 AM
We have Matt Ryan.

Stoke
09-08-2008, 06:46 AM
Updated Predictions:

Falcons will now go 1-15.

SilverTalon
09-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Don't they play the Panthers twice?

From the race-to-the-bottom dept.

Stoke
09-08-2008, 08:21 AM
I stand by my prediction.

SilverTalon
09-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Yeah, but your predictions are about as reliable as the weatherman's....

Meteorologist - The Latin word for "Liar"

Stoke
09-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Kittys will beat the birds both games.

SilverTalon
09-08-2008, 10:25 AM
You don't play Philly in the regular season....and you already lost in the presea.....OH! You meant the Falcons.

I'm sorry, the only team that gets called "The Birds" are the Eagles. :) Please do no sully the nickname by associating it with the Falcons...or I'll start applying "Kittys" to Cincinnati...

Stoke
09-08-2008, 10:43 AM
The only thing the Eagles are called are the Iggles.

Stoke
09-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Speaking of preseason... heres an interesting - but meaningless - statistic:

The Panthers starters outscored their 4 opponents starters 58-3.

SilverTalon
09-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Here's another thing about preseason: None of the statistics actually matter. :)

Stoke
09-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Did you miss the "but meaningless" part of my post?

SilverTalon
09-08-2008, 01:03 PM
No, but everything Stoke says is like the preseason. :)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, BURN!

<3

Stoke
09-08-2008, 01:15 PM
You obviously - for some reason - are confusing me with Dane.

Banne
09-09-2008, 01:49 AM
I was unexpectedly really happy with the first week of the NFL season:
1.) The panters with that great win (I hate the Chargers!)
2.) The iggles looked pretty strong. McNabb looked awesome (And I love McNabb)! Then again...it was the Ram's D. But you cant shake a stick at 300 something yards passing and 3 TDs.
3.) I know I shouldnt root for injuries...but Brady and Young. I know Young will be back in a month, but I am already sick of the Boston Sports Channel (ESPN) reporting on the loss of their hero for the year.
4.) Atlanta Beat up on Detroit. Matt Ryan got the big balls out on that first pass.
5.) The Packers dont Miss Favre.
6.) The Jets wouldnt win without Favre.
7.) I hate Favre.
8.) Oakland still blows. I hate them, and I hate their fans, so I hope they go 0-16.
9.) My Bears beat the Colts....and they looked like a good football team. The Defense was moving, they had a running game and an efficent passer. They had a great third down percentage...and I cant believe I am saying this, but the Bear that looked the worst was.... DEVIN HESTER. I think they will be a little better than expectations, and the way the NFC North is, its up for grabs (Whichever team has the fewest major injuries will win the NFC North...seriously). I dont expect them to go anywhere in the playoffs, but then again you never know, we could get to an NFC Championship game. But, as much as it pains me to say it, if the Bears were to play the Eagles, they would probably get their asses kicked. Luckily, we will see how the teams match up in a few weeks on Sunday Night Football Week 4. I wanna get on teamspeak and watch the game while talking to Silver.

So basically, the only let down so far for me this young NFL season is...

NO ATF FANTASY FOOTBALL!
Damn. I knew I forgot something a few weeks ago.
This is the first time in like 3 years or something we havent done one.
That means we need to do -
ATF FANTASY HOCKEY *does that even exist?*

Spinning Hat
09-09-2008, 09:25 AM
yeah, Fantasy Hockey exists.. Hell, you could do a fantasy NASCAR season if you wanted to.. But I don't know why you would. Seriously. I love racing, but wouldn't a fantasy league consist of picking a driver, and riding out the season? Or would you go for an "owners" championship with 4-5 cars in the stable? We may want to look into the Fantasy Hockey..

CannonBall
09-21-2008, 02:03 PM
We have Matt Ryan.

Spinning Hat
09-22-2008, 09:28 AM
How 'bout those Kitty Cats? :D Vikings FTW!

Stoke
09-28-2008, 03:38 PM
We have Matt Ryan.

Mr. Ryan, meet Mr. Peppers....Mr. Peppers, meet... ... oh wait...why is Mr. Ryan on the ground?

RéMe
09-30-2008, 08:51 AM
well, Matt "m-fin" Cassell didn't fuck up another Pats game last weekend.. w00t!

CannonBall
10-12-2008, 01:14 PM
We have Matt Ryan.

RéMe
10-26-2008, 04:04 PM
5-2 at the midpoint.. Go Patsies!

Who'd have thought the pats would be actually in the WINNING side and vying for the division without a quarterback named Tom.

Stoke
10-26-2008, 04:37 PM
5-2 at the midpoint.. Go Patsies!

Who'd have thought the pats would be actually in the WINNING side and vying for the division without a quarterback named Tom.

since they are known cheaters, anything is possible.

SilverTalon
11-02-2008, 03:46 PM
The Falcons have Matt Ryan (tho it didn't do em any good last week).

CannonBall
11-09-2008, 03:05 PM
We have Matt Ryan.