PDA

View Full Version : XP chop?

Ambush_Bug
05-20-2003, 04:34 PM
http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/planetside/Forum1/HTML/000070.html

Have any of you guys been able to verify this?

Nosferatu
05-20-2003, 04:59 PM
I get a "message not found" error when I click on that link :(

Ambush_Bug
05-20-2003, 05:13 PM
That's 'cause that post has been removed. And it's a NEWS post, btw, detailing the 90-percent cut in experience awarded for kills.

Now I wish I'd taken a screenshot. Feel free to check the 'general chat' at those boards, though... you'll find plenty of complaints.

*edit*

Here's the text; someone was nice enough to post it elsewhere. :)

Lastly, folks that were in Beta have noticed that experience awards are lower than those to which they were accustomed. This is true, but the experience curves in beta were intentionally overinflated to allow faster progression of rank. This allowed our design team to examine data about the usage of weapons and armor at the various Battle Ranks. Those XP gains are now returned to the gains originally intended. For the record, the experience gains while in a squad are shared evenly among squad members, but with a 20% bonus added onto them. Therefore, if you destroy a target worth 100 raw XP, and you're in a squad of 10 people, your individual gain would be:
(100/10) * 1.2 = 11.2 XP (rounded up to 12).

This may seem like a reduction in experience potential, but when in a squad of 10 you rack up kills at a greater rate and with relative ease compared to doing so as an individual, so it's possible to gain a great deal of experience that way. (Plus, squads allow easier communication and allow the sharing of base capture experience, as well as allowing Command functionality, so they're very worthwhile groups.)

Ravin
05-20-2003, 05:31 PM
This type of slowdown is totally unwarrented for this game. This is not a RPG where content is the only thing going for the game. Having the majority of players being max level in under a month in an RPG is bad for the game as they have access to all content and go thru it too fast. This game revolves around FPS style combat and max level has nothing to do with experiencing any content in the game. This is not the kind of thing I wanted to hear about the day the game is released.

Malthus
05-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Wow, that is a 180 from what they said at the end of beta.

Having played tonight it's still not that bad, we are just back to taking bases being the only way to make any real experience, just like it was at the start of exclusive beta. All they did was make it so there is no reason to defend again....back to musical bases and if the enemy hacks yours, let it go through so you can cap it back, you make more xp that way.

I thought they learned their lesson 2 months ago, but apparently not.

Grunt
05-20-2003, 08:44 PM
Actually from playing tonite I've found that you gain a very large amount of XP for stopping a hack compared to the amount of effort it requires....

AvengerX
05-21-2003, 12:09 AM
Agreed, I was gaining 1000+ from resecuring.

Walks on Clouds
05-21-2003, 12:32 AM
Haven't they said that resxecuring a base is worht more "raw XP" than hacking it? I think I remember someone saying that once...

Malthus
05-21-2003, 06:31 AM
Ahhh...cool, but it still encourages letting the enemy in rather then defending the base, since xp for kills is so low.

Don't get me wrong, I like the low XP, I thought people advanced way to fast, but they did mislead us about xp at the end of beta, and that is a little disheartening. Not enough to stop me from playing, but dissapointing none the less.

DAKOTA
05-21-2003, 06:37 AM
well its nottin like the 3500 we would get in beta but on average i was getting 1500 with the most being 2400 xp. it doesnt take too long to level at this rate. though xp for killijng people is still too low in my opinion

Shark
05-21-2003, 07:20 AM
I recall getting over 3000 for one cap, and most in the 1500-2000 range. There were some nice bonuses for taking bases back too. I think what they need to do is triple the exp/kill when you are in a friendly SOI...that would give people some incentive to defend.

-shark

insaneferret
05-21-2003, 07:37 AM
why did they nerf squads, you're supposed to get rewarded for teaming up not punished

squad kills 10 people = 100xp

loner kills one person = 100xp

this so sucks

DAKOTA
05-21-2003, 07:40 AM
actually when you are in a squad you get a %20 bonous for xp. *shrugs* we seemed to have leveled up pretty quickly last night

insaneferret
05-21-2003, 07:53 AM
that +20% is for the two support guys everyone has in the squad so they dont get kicked out for not getting kills

outside of huge zergs you get little-no xp, was playing this morning for 2-3 hours, low server population, i made half of 1 block of xp

Shark
05-21-2003, 08:06 AM
It might be interesting to split our squads up a bit to see if it helps. Theoretically, it shouldn't. Each squad would miss out on the experience gained by the other squad. I would really like to see a little more incentive for defense, beyond the reward for resecuring a base, like doubling or tripling the experience per kill while in a friendly SOI. Overall, their system rewards success in large battles. While I think they have some problems with the current system, what they seem to be going for is to reward risk. In order to do this, they need to increase the defensive incentive without making it the primary incentive.

After our play last night, I think we need to rethink our mobility. Traveling as a group certainly works better, whether there is one squad or more. I'm not sure multiple squads should always work together, because IMO, comm gets really confusing. Also, I would suggest that we create permanent squad assignments. If I play in Alpha, then I always play in Alpha. I'm also thinking of dropping my tank cert. Until we get a regular schedule and gunning setup, along with a committed vehicle squad, it's not much fun, because I end up pimping gunners and waiting to meet up with them. Perhaps I'll make a thread on this in the private forums, which I might add, this thread should probably be moved to.

-shark

SmackDab
05-21-2003, 08:17 AM
Yea I noticed I was getting SQUAT for personal kills, like I kill 3 or 4 NC tools from hacking one of our base, I got like 10, 11, 14 and so of XP for those kills. Man they were full health and had weapons not the spawn kill types. I did get some kills on this one NC base spawn room, firing away at it from the outside, got like 1 XP, lol. Man...

But overall, I got from BR3 to BR5 with ease, in like 5 hours. Also got CR1 quickly as well. Everything revolves around base hacks for outfit points, and resecure points for stopping a hack. Other than that you just have to make sure you kill enemies at bases. When a base is hacked and the enemy abandons it, it's time to move on and bail to another base. Well, as long as there are VS friendlies there to watch over it.

MyPitBullTank
05-21-2003, 09:08 AM
Five hours to get from BR3 to BR5....

So, from BR13 to BR15 should take about two weeks...

I was very disheartened to be getting ten BEP for kills MAXes last night. Best way to level up might be squads of three AV guys taking out vehicles and squatting bases.

The really bad part of all of this is if they made us pay for this painful levelling, nobody would do it, but they make this part of the free trial, so by the time the trial period is over, you should be high enough up that it doesn't matter. It will still matter to me though. Fuck sittin around bases, I want to kill stuff....

Musical bases is for the birds.

SmackDab
05-21-2003, 10:34 AM
WTF is all this talk about "support personnel" being kicked for not getting kills? Man WTF, our support staff owns, they don't hide they kill.

I know Malthus, Vito, VOMP, and the rest can hold their own when under fire.

Nosferatu
05-21-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by SmackDab
WTF is all this talk about "support personnel" being kicked for not getting kills? Man WTF, our support staff owns, they don't hide they kill.

I know Malthus, Vito, VOMP, and the rest can hold their own when under fire.

And don't forget out l337 Ninja Hackerz of Doom!!!!!! :rofl:

SmackDab
05-21-2003, 01:41 PM
True dat, see that's what I'm talking a full outfit of soldiers, not water boys.

VeryGrimm
05-21-2003, 02:34 PM
Feh. I don't understand the rush for BR20. Are you guys going to be bored when you get there? This isn't EQ.

You can get to br 6 or 7 in relatively short order and have 3 major certs. If you're dying to wear so many different hats, level a couple other guys to 6 or 7 and play the guy who's talents you're in the mood for. BR20 will come.

Grunt
05-21-2003, 11:58 PM
well everybody in the outfit is basically between 6 and 9 now and 3 of us have CR2.... so it's not all THAT hard to level :)

DAKOTA
05-22-2003, 06:13 AM
my only rush to level is i want adv hack adv engineering and an ams cert. so at BR level 13 im very happy. but lately i have been concentrating on CR so the BR is sloooooooooooow going

Walks on Clouds
05-22-2003, 08:33 AM
The big problem I foresee with this new XP system isn't for us, the already well-organized outfits, but for individuals or people just trying to hook up with a squad. Especially support role characters.

Wasn't there a story on the forums about a Galaxy pilot being dropped from the squad after having delivered the others to the frontlines, because "you will just be sucking up our XP"? Now, there's got to be something wrong with a system that gives rise to that kind of thinking.

SmackDab
05-22-2003, 09:18 AM
I just want 2 implants and the ability to be both MAX, reinforced armor, and have a vehicle cert that's all I need. No rush for me, once I hit like BR11 - 17 I'll be happy and just PUB all night