PDA

View Full Version : @#$@%$^@%$^@$%@^##$@^%@$#^

Ghryphen
05-26-2003, 04:14 PM
I HATE ISP's! Why must they infect computers with their logos! Arg! "Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Comcast" wtf, I thought it was provided by Windows! :mad: I knew it was going to happen, I tried not installing their crap, but you have to, to activate your account. :mad:

Anyone know how to fix that crap? And get the windows logo back in the top right corner and not the damn Comcast advertisement?

Spinning Hat
05-26-2003, 04:59 PM
what version of IE did it install? I'd go to The IE Site, and reinstall IE again.

Ghryphen
05-26-2003, 07:38 PM
I will try that, it has never worked in the past tho.

Spinning Hat
05-26-2003, 08:36 PM
OR- Delete your IE Dir, and reinstall it... Not sure how well that works in Win XP, but it's worth a shot... I always hated installing that ISP Specific Crap on People's PCs when I was installing Cable Inet.. But then again, we didn't need it to activate any accounts, either... We just had to setup OE, and a NIC.

Splidz
05-26-2003, 09:30 PM
Try repairing your installation instead of deleting it and reinstalling...or try searching through the registry. There may be registry settings for the title bar and image in IE.

Grunt
05-26-2003, 10:16 PM
Weird I have comcast cable access and I didn't have to do anything.. I must be special :)

Jester
05-26-2003, 10:44 PM
upper right hand corner, the stupid comcast C. it also puts it in your outlook express

TimberWolf
05-26-2003, 10:49 PM
Can you use the system restore function? It should have restore points at each time before you update or install things.

SirDiesalot
05-27-2003, 10:48 AM
and go back to having no internet explorer at all? just make sure you have a regular install on CD or something if you go that route.

Ghryphen
05-27-2003, 11:00 AM
Still have not found a fix for it yet. I will try the registry. I remember seeing a site somewhere that told you how you could have your own cutom IE icon. Need to find that and find out how it's added.

Yeah, my DSL, just plug in the modem and it's connected. With the Cable you plug it in and you get a blocked message when you try and browse, you have to install their CD and enter your info to activate it.

I will hopefully be formatting soon anyway, that will fix it. Now that it's activated I won't have to install it again. :rolleyes:

Ghryphen
05-27-2003, 06:48 PM
Figured it out! Comcast put a folder in the IE directory called SUPPORT rather than Custom. Everything else was the same.

http://support.earthlink.net/mu/1/psc/img/walkthroughs/windows_9x_nt/browsers/ie_5.0/2996.psc.html

Joe Shmoe
05-29-2003, 07:14 AM
1) That software is a waste of time call tech support and give them the MAC adress of your NIC card.

2) If you must run the activation CD (which you don't) there are three reboots in the process. After each reboot something neat happens - it gives you a second before it starts any installations. After the third rebooot is when it installs all that crap. Simply remove CD while rebooting and it can't install the comcast crap.

Ghryphen
05-29-2003, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I was like, wtf is with all this rebooting.