PDA

View Full Version : Future Updates (from official site)

AvengerX
06-10-2003, 08:06 PM
Check this out, looks hella sweet...

http://planetside.station.sony.com/news_story.jsp?story=56618

Grunt
06-10-2003, 08:15 PM
You bastard!!!! I was just about to post that... :(

But yea.. it looks finally like there going to start making things interesting.

Splidz
06-10-2003, 08:28 PM
Wicked! Those are some really cool additions.

Grunt
06-10-2003, 08:29 PM
Yeppurs... THIS is why we're paying to play this damn thing... now if only they fix the server stability and netcode a bit :)

AvengerX
06-10-2003, 08:31 PM
I just think the process of using the outfit points to "purchase" things for the outfit is going to be VERY interesting. Perhaps a floating base for ATF use? ;)

Sidewinder
06-10-2003, 08:56 PM
I wonder how this outfit speading thing will work. Kinda sucks if your an outfit with less than 50 members.

Spinning Hat
06-10-2003, 09:40 PM
So much stuff coming soon... Mmm... Need... money....

SlayerZero
06-11-2003, 12:03 AM
I knew about some of that but the rest is just great.

Who needs a floating base, pick a continent and lets claim it and keep it locked. Nothing could piss off and stire up the other armys then doing that, we could ahve mass running battles as a result.

Shoddy
06-11-2003, 07:27 AM
w00t for the instant action improvements! As it is now, that thing is amazing in it's ability to put you in the most useless spot in the entire planet.

SmackDab
06-11-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Shoddy
w00t for the instant action improvements! As it is now, that thing is amazing in it's ability to put you in the most useless spot in the entire planet.

Dude no shyte, I tried it out for a little solo action and it put me at some tower with like 5 other vanu fooz on a TR locked down continent with no base we could hack. OMFG, I was like whaaaaaaaaaaat.

I like the bio lab respawn thing, and the automated turrets will be nice for air vehicles that hover, but it will suck for us on offense.

The Advanced Hacking being the only cert that can hack Equipment Terminals and Vehicle terminals will cause me to toss aside my hacking cert. I don't want to be a hacker only had it to hack equip terminals so I could dress up in my FATT SUIT. So now, I guess I'll buy something useful. Reinforced and Lancer/Lasher I guess.

Finally some info on orbital strike. Wonder how hard it is to get outfit points to spend.

EMP Blast, really like this one, that's sweet. Doesn't say if it'll use outfit points but i'm sure it does. This could be really useful in attacking a hevily defended base.

No "Hack Leapfrogging": You will soon be unable to hack an enemy facility if the only friendly facility linked to that enemy facility is also hacked itself. This will stabilize the "fronts" and prevent "hack leapfrogging".

This is an interesting one, guess you have to DEFEND now in a way or at least break a hack on your base before you can hack the next one in line.

Defenders can Respawn at Hacked Facilities: To aid the defense a bit, they will soon be able to respawn at hacked facilities. Of course, the respawn tubes have to be in operating condition, but if they're available, then defenders can respawn there.

Hrm, this is cool too for defense. Guess we'll have to toss the respawn tubes or camp them, could always just take the gen out I guess.

phalanx
06-11-2003, 08:23 AM
that last point about the "defenders respawning at hacked facilities" sounds like post-hack activity will become a little messy for the attackers heh

arent some cc's on the same level as the tubes?

TimberWolf
06-11-2003, 10:05 AM
Hmmm, I am debating with my self, again, if these imporvments and addons is worth paying $50 up front and then $13 a month.

VeryGrimm
06-11-2003, 11:47 AM
Phalanx, sounds more to me like we'll just have to send a team in to keep the spawn tubes down whenever we're heading in for a hack. It'll make ghost hacking a lot less profitable, that's for sure.

SmackDab
06-11-2003, 12:12 PM
TW YES, it's fun.

Myria
06-11-2003, 12:24 PM
OUch I dont know how I feel about the Towers having NTU's. And the 5 min hack time on towers. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.:confused:
But Damn being able to spend outfit points will rock!!!

TimberWolf
06-11-2003, 01:10 PM
Smack, I know its fun but is it worth the cost at the moment. Also with working evenings, I can only play after noons or way early mornings. Have they brought back the experience points from the VR yet? Thinking about it, I did say I would try to get a character ready for the new vehicles.

Nosferatu
06-11-2003, 02:08 PM
Yeah you get XP in the VR areas now....as well as for the first-time use of several other things that you run across in the game world. (terminals, etc.)

I've been playing pay-to-play MMO's for a few years now so my opinion may be a tad biased, but I think Planetside is worth it. You pay a premium to play an ever-evolving game. Yes, they string you along by adding all that new content in periodic updates, but overall you end up with a larger, more feature-rich game than comperable non-pay-to-play games.

Coachman
06-12-2003, 07:37 AM
"The Advanced Hacking being the only cert that can hack Equipment Terminals and Vehicle terminals will cause me to toss aside my hacking cert."

I going to do a wait and see on this one....I think this one might be as needed skill as repair/combat engineer especially combined with 1)five minute tower hack timer(especially breaking into a locked continient. 2)needing a direct link to a vehicle station in order to spawn a magrider from a more remote base. 3)base defenders being able to respawn even though the base has been hacked.

SlayerZero
06-12-2003, 11:13 AM
I was talking with some guys I play with and we kind agree that with towers haveing power limmits now its going to be damn rare to see one that ever has any power. Towers trade hands so often and get the hell used out of them, and with no exp to cap or hold it then AMS will be the way to go.

Also has anyone noticed that the pop cap per island is off? Amerish was locked most of last night but we never saw half our VS people. We were lucky to see 50 in 3 hours there, I think they messed up and set it to total and not total per faction.

TimberWolf
06-12-2003, 11:41 AM
I think the towers will have smaller silos and slower drain then the facilities. The towers provide a easily defendable location to spawn in, and also a height advantage when firing on enemy units. The towers will still be needed to defend bases and help prevent the enemy from getting to a base. We don't want to be stuck to a base when under siege, and spawning back at the santuary most often is too far to come from to get behind the enemy.

SirDiesalot
06-12-2003, 11:48 AM
question, if you could drop a lightning from a galaxy (or vanguard from lodestar?) onto the pad on top of a tower, wouldn't it be fun to long range bombard directly only the main base? sure you could only do that with the towers that are really close to bases, but it does sound fun.

SmackDab
06-12-2003, 11:50 AM
But if you can't flip flop hack a facility. Meaning you can't hack the next base connected to the lattice if your current base that links you has a hack on it, there should be some HUGE battles for fronts now. With a XP cap of max 5,000 points what would be the point though. Just kill your required 30 people and still move on. Valid tactics would still be making a base go neutral, so oh well on that idea. I hate doing majical bases all night though.

Ashaman
06-12-2003, 01:26 PM
What they need to do is have a way to use different strategies. Asymmetric warfare rarely gets used by anyone other than TR... Preclusive defense is laughable due to the dropships... And the whole idea of total war? Doesn't happen because you can't really implement a "scorched-earth" strategy...

What we need is deformable terrain, and buildings that take damage. Those would make things interesting...

SmackDab
06-12-2003, 01:33 PM
What we need to do more is hold TR off as long as we can like we did last night. Nothing more fun that playing defense in a base, jumping on the walls and slaughtering all that oppose our way of life. Damn bring them to us, we serve them up a nice big helping of death with a side of humility on their way to being worm food.

TimberWolf
06-12-2003, 01:46 PM
I say we send out hunting parties wail defending a base to catch the enemy AMS's wail they are in transit, then destroy them. With no AMS then they can't spawn close enough to Zerg us quickly. We have to have scouts looking for the enemy and follow them till the right equipment gets there to take care of the threat.

SlayerZero
06-12-2003, 03:53 PM
It jsut means that we need to get more people up in the air in Mosquitos running the scaners to find them, and/or hook up people that are jsut scouts with the hearing implants so we can get a better picture of locations on our mini-maps.

Stuwey
06-13-2003, 06:55 AM
now if the towers recharged themselves when not being used, i could see that.

SmackDab
06-13-2003, 07:52 AM
They need to make ANT's more better, or have an air ANT or something.

Ya know something funny as shit, 3 lancer shots blow an ANT to pieces. I killed two of those TR ANTs trying to fill up that base one time. Damn funny.

Shoddy
06-13-2003, 09:13 AM
There is an air ANT of sorts. ANTs fit in galaxies and can hot drop next to the silo

TimberWolf
06-13-2003, 09:53 AM
When they open up Naval combat, they will probably add floating bases out in the ocean (Not hovering bases, but bases that float on the surface of the water and are anchered to the sea floor) and they will need to have an ANT boat that can hold more than what the current one holds and can move faster, but lower handling.