PDA

View Full Version : PS Bandwith Settings

Ghryphen
06-14-2003, 02:56 PM
It's possible to change your bandwidth settings to restrict or expand the maximum amount of data that you're sending/receiving.

This can help smooth out gameplay for low bandwidth users and can even allow smoother gameplay for high bandwidth users if they have the pipeline to support it.

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/planetside/Forum7/HTML/006966.html

insaneferret
06-14-2003, 03:53 PM
to do it type

/info switchboard cullwatermark 40 80 (56k)

/info switchboard cullwatermark 80 120 (medium)

/info switchboard cullwatermark 120 200 (high, for 'fat pipes')

ok, i'm not a technical guy, anyone know what those numbers mean and how i would be able to set my connectionto its optimal setting using a connection speed test?

PS check out the live stats in the sig :D

Ghryphen
06-14-2003, 04:03 PM
What is the results of your test?

insaneferret
06-14-2003, 04:08 PM
using http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest
i use road runner cable as my ISP

Your raw speed was 2748840.82 bits per second which is the same as:

Communications

2.7 megabits per second
How communication devices are rated. Kilo means 1,000 and mega means 1,000,000. Examples include 56k modem and 10Mbit Ethernet

Storage

335.6 kilobytes per second
The way data is measured on your hard drive and how file sharing and FTP programs measure transfer speeds. Kilo is 1,024 and mega is 1,048,576.

Form Based Upstream Test

279.2 kilobits per second

PsychomanX
06-16-2003, 08:02 AM
wtf why didnt they tell about this in beta when I was fucking struggling with 56k.. Anything could have helped.

SmackDab
06-16-2003, 08:26 AM
I tried out the HIGH settings last night but didnt' see any difference yet.

TimberWolf
06-16-2003, 09:24 AM
I have tried all three settings and non help with my lag in big battles. I did not have this kinda of lag in Beta even in big battles.

Freebird
06-16-2003, 09:56 AM
High settings really made the action pretty jerky. Even in the sanct. :(

SmackDab
06-16-2003, 12:06 PM
Remember they changed the NET CODE, from beta to now, to add the "ZERO PING" stuff with the client side hit detection to help out the modem guys. Basically they get the game like if they lag they still move freely and can snipe people sitting still, but in your game you are running fast, then all of a sudden you take damage even if you are like inside the building, cause when the 56K llama's computer submits the hit code the server updates and says oh you were hit, so register the hit. Some people are just running outside away from the base or enemies and just die, cause they got shot coming outside the base but didn't register until the update was processed.

This is shit, client side = spamming ping/upload and cheats, hope they fix it cause all someone needs to code is a packet interceptor and just add in hits or just lag your machine's network so you see people dead then they just die.

Like there were reports of someone already doing this, people said his whole squad lagged out when they ran by this one dude, then they came back and everyone around him just died cause that dude hit them while lagging. LAME.

Ghryphen
06-16-2003, 12:08 PM
Yeah, people are talking about unplugging their modems and shooting then plugging back in.

Client side hit ditection is rather archaic and just a quick fix so they dont have to work on their netcode :rolleyes:

Malthus
06-16-2003, 12:32 PM
Ummm...no one from SOE has comfirmed their use of client side/zero-ping anything, it's all just rumors on message boards. They would have to be out of their minds to allow the client that much say over what happens, and contrary to what the SOE message boards would have you believe, they devs aren't stupid. It's probably more of the server checking what the client reports and applying the damage, and right now the err on the side of the client. Eventually they will stop doing that and people will move on to complain about something else on the message boards.

The problems with getting hit after you turn corners and stuff was in beta as well. There just wasn't as much lag in large battles. People used to complain about being hit by a guy they just killed all the time.

It's damn near impossible to figure out what the cause of the lag is when it happens to so many people at such random times. I can play for hours on a packed continent and get no lag at all and othertimes just running through the middle of nowhere and it's like a slide show.

While the basic gameplay of PS is a FPS, it is more complex then most of the games that have come before it. Only one other game around tries to put as many people on one server fighting it out, WW2OL, and it's taken them 2 years to get it kinda right. PS has been out for less then a month.

The devs have yet to not fix a problem, I'm gonna hold on to my faith that they will solve this one also.