Allied Tribal Forces

Allied Tribal Forces (https://alliedtribalforces.com/forum.php)
-   Technical (https://alliedtribalforces.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Satellite? (https://alliedtribalforces.com/showthread.php?t=3154)

Stoke 01-16-2006 09:54 AM

Satellite?

Anyone here have any experience with internet service provided thru the satellite tv folks??

How is comparable to cable?
Is there a delay?
Is it suitable for gaming?

RagingSamster 01-16-2006 10:31 AM

It's quick, if you don't mind ping times in the 800 ms range. Reletivity is a bummer. BTW first post from my new Blackberry 8700c w00t!

4hops X 22K miles = 88K miles light @186Kps ~ 500ms just for the spaceflight

CannonBall 01-16-2006 11:43 AM

I use a phone service for my internet. In fact today I'm switching from DSL 3.0 to DSL 6.0. I'll post my speed test result when I get home.

Stoke 01-16-2006 12:17 PM

Well, the problem is that we were blantantly lied to about cable service in the new neighborhood we are moving too. There is none....at least not yet. DSL is also showing to be unavailable as well although a friend that works for BellSouth and lives just across the street has it. She is looking into it.

High speed home internet service is pretty much a necessity for Mrs. Stokes job so satellite will be the only option left if the DSL doesnt come through. I am hearing that there is about a 2 second delay that is very noticeable during play.....

I am concerned....

Stang 01-16-2006 04:56 PM

What you bought a house without finding about internet services?! Better be an awesome house :).

I know when we move thats the first thing Gryphon is going to find out or we aren't moving.

RagingSamster 01-16-2006 08:33 PM

Pay the friend for wifi.. offer to pay her bill (or pay the equivalent of a DSL bill for her) anything but dial-up, that stuff is scary.

SilverTalon 01-16-2006 09:55 PM

From the little bit I know about satellite, isn't your upload speed basically dial-up, even if your download speed is quasi-normal?

That might be a specfic type of satellite, but I know some people with it have mentioned that.

Stoke 01-17-2006 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stang
What you bought a house without finding about internet services?! Better be an awesome house :).

I know when we move thats the first thing Gryphon is going to find out or we aren't moving.

We did...or at least we thought we did. First the real estate people said there was cable. Then the cable service said there was cable. Now, when we actualy go to transfer the service, the cable people said "oops. my bad".....

%@#%@#$%@ T%^$%$^% bastards.....

It looks like we will be having DSL....

Nizuttz 01-17-2006 06:30 AM

DSL == t3h suck!!!

TimberWolf 01-17-2006 07:44 AM

DSl >> Cable

I know that from experience.

Stoke 01-17-2006 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimberWolf
DSl >> Cable

I've seen this go both ways. I guess this depnds on each individual situation. I havent had any major problems with my cable but my neighbor thinks their service sucks.

Likewise, I have friends here at work that love their DSL and one former guildie who constantly threated to have the phone people take his out....

so...Cable - DSL ..... six of one, half dozen of the other......

All I am finding on the satellite service is that it is of course way better than dialup but ranks a far distant third behind cable or DSL.

Cptmorgan 01-17-2006 08:46 AM

Satelite - home satelite internet connections typically use the satelite for downstream and dial up for upstream. Latency is a major issue and bad for gaming, i dont have any experience but i would love to see the difference in gaming on dial up and on satelite connection...im leaning towards the dial up.

DSL is NOT better than cable. DSL simply cannot touch the speeds of cable. Most people who say DSL is better than cable have dealt with a cheep ass cable company who can only afford to throttle their bandwidth to that of DSL. Come to Tampa Bay and you can get 15mps down 2 up. And one of our competitors, another cable company, only offers 2mps down as their fastest speed. It all depends on the company and the plant the company has in that area.

TimberWolf 01-17-2006 10:28 AM

From my own experience I have had the best internet connection at home when I had a DSL line from Verizon who had the phone bank just a block away from my house. My cable line at my home has drop outs couple of times a minute, this service is Road Runner. Granted the difference between the two homes I had these at is over a thousand miles, DSL back in Dallas Tx and Cable in Lima Oh. The big problem with cable is if their hardware isn't up to date, this includes the lines running to the houses, then you can't get DSL quality speeds. So that maybe my biggest grip.

MagnoliaFly 01-17-2006 11:28 AM

Just seduce a cable man and get some cable hooked up Stoke. Anything for the WoW dude, for the WoW.

Stoke 01-17-2006 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagnoliaFly
Just seduce a cable man and get some cable hooked up Stoke. Anything for the WoW dude, for the WoW.

Its a brand new neighborhood with all newlybuilt and still under construction houses. We will be the 3rd house occupied on the street. They wont bring the cable in until there are enough people to justify it (their words). We can *PAY* to have them run the needed 3200 feet of undergound wire down the street but....I dont think so.....

Its not like its in B.F.E where there is nothing. Its just a brand new little development and it will proably take a year or so to get enough houses in there to get it.... I mean, its only right down the street.....

I'll do the DSL for the time being and deal with whatever on TV....not like I watch it anyway so no big loss for me there.

Wednesday night will probably be the last I get to play for a couple weeks. Closing is on Thursday so therefore Thursday evening the Great Move commences. I expect this will take some time. Our phone is scheduled to be switched on Saturday and I cant request the DSL until after that is established. I was told it would be at least a week - maybe a little longer to get it going after that..... That probably wont be too bad.... I got so much shit to clean, move and relocate, its not like I'm gonna have any time to play anyway.

Anyone wanting to help are more than welcome to come. Just ask for the directions and I'll see you there! ;) Wouldnt be a bad little weekend trip for Cannon or Silver. Might be a little tougher for the rest of ya'll.