Allied Tribal Forces

Allied Tribal Forces (https://alliedtribalforces.com/forum.php)
-   PlanetSide 2 (https://alliedtribalforces.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   PlanetSide $12.95 a month. (https://alliedtribalforces.com/showthread.php?t=616)

Ghryphen 05-08-2003 10:44 AM

PlanetSide $12.95 a month.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categorie...p?pf_id=234944

TimberWolf 05-08-2003 11:03 AM

Ouch, thats too high. They are going to hurt if thats true cause that will scare alot of people away.

Malthus 05-08-2003 11:08 AM

Thats standard for a MMPG, and I don't think it will scare away as many as people want to believe. It's exactly what I expected it to be.

TimberWolf 05-08-2003 11:09 AM

Well as a College student, I am out till either the fee goes down or I get a really, really, good job to pay for it.

VeryGrimm 05-08-2003 11:11 AM

The fee is pretty much what I expected too.

Nosferatu 05-08-2003 11:15 AM

Don't expect it to go down.... :(

As MMO's get more popular the monthly charges will increase as game company accountants figure out just how much they can get away with charging...

Grunt 05-08-2003 11:30 AM

As another college student, how is this too much? Just don't go to the movies once a month, drink 3 less lattes a month, buy one less cd a month (not that you probably buy them :)). But in the grand scheme of things it's really not a lot of money at all. There's tons of little things you can cut out for this kind of $$$

AvengerX 05-08-2003 11:31 AM

Who drinks a latte when you can have a George Killian's Irish Red? WTF???

Grunt 05-08-2003 11:47 AM

LOL, I was thinking of IN-CLASS drinks... but afterwards I would highly suggest a Yuengling Lager..... made by americas oldest brewing company! That's right, since 1829!!!! http://www.yuengling.com/

SirDiesalot 05-08-2003 11:48 AM

if you're 20, you can't... and 'sides.... caffeine!

Stang 05-08-2003 11:53 AM

Well it is expensive for some if you have to spend the $50 for the game itself then go pay a monthly fee. And when you have 2 gamers in a house hold paying $100 2 games and then paying a double account fee is rediculious.

What I want to know is since Gryphon and I play the game will there be a special for families that have more than one gamer or will we have to pay for 2 accounts? Im pretty sure we would have to pay for 2, and that sucks, cuz we wont do that. Guess Ill just create a character on his account and try to play when hes not.

AvengerX 05-08-2003 11:59 AM

I'm 20, and I do it all the time ;)

Grunt 05-08-2003 12:01 PM

ROFLMAO

SirDiesalot 05-08-2003 12:03 PM

well... if you got the contacts i guess you can.

AvengerX 05-08-2003 12:21 PM

Contacts? Dude, I just walk into a bar or local dining facility and order. Like last week, I went to Ruby Tuesday's with a few of my friends, ordered a Long Island Iced Tea, they brought it right out, no questions, no carding. :o

SirDiesalot 05-08-2003 12:58 PM

:eek:

Nosferatu 05-08-2003 01:11 PM

Stang,

All MMO's that I've played to date don't offer discounts of any kind. My wife and I always have to buy 2 of every MMO and pay for 2 accounts. It sucks. :(

I'm currently paying for 2 Dark Age of Camelot accounts, a Neocron account, a Shadowbane account and soon to be 2 Planetside accounts and at least 1 Star Wars Galaxies.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to start cancelling stuff, it's getting out of hand! :eek:

Hot Damn 05-08-2003 01:25 PM

LOL!! Man, you need to seriously get rid of some of that ;) I remember when you had to go ask your wife if you could play a game that charged a monthly fee!! ;) So I take it Ana is coming to PS?

TimberWolf 05-08-2003 01:26 PM

I have nothing else that I can cut out of my budget besides buying the needed RAM for my computer. I already don't see movies, buy CD's, go out to eat, or buy anything thats not for school or to fuel the vehicle that gets me there. Also I pay for a toll tag wich costs me over a doller to get back and forth from school.

I will wait till I get a job and have money saved up to pay for a year or so of school before joining in on PS.

Stang 05-08-2003 04:35 PM

Damn Nosferatu!!

I pretty much had a good feeling that there wouldnt be a discount just dreaming you know :D.

Ill just hog Gryphons account for a while :p.

Paying off credit cards is more important than getting 2 games and accounts right now :( .

Nosferatu 05-08-2003 05:31 PM

Yeah, it's a wee bit excessive. I'm gonna go cancel neocron and daoc tonight because i don't play them enough to warrant paying for them.... and after re-reading my post I feel guilty. :D

I sure hope my wife will play Planetside. She liked Tribes 2 a lot. I offered to grab another beta from fileplanet for her and she declined, so who knows. :confused:

Ambush_Bug 05-08-2003 05:35 PM

If there was more content at release (PLATOONS, DAMMIT!) I'd pay. I can afford it the thirteen bucks, yes, but I don't feel I'll be getting the money's worth.

Hot Damn 05-08-2003 08:04 PM

I'm actually questioning whether to hang around after beta....the game is fun, but not what I would call enthralling ;)

Kaioh 05-08-2003 10:20 PM

Hrm, thats kinda steep....Its not EQ.

Grunt 05-08-2003 11:32 PM

LOL, exactly! That's why i'm willing to pay... I'm not into regular actual RPGs let along the MMO ones :)

Malthus 05-09-2003 06:18 AM

I'm willing to pay for a couple of reasons. 13 bucks isn't really alot of money....1 less lunch out every week and I could save more then enough to cover that, maybe even eat a little better too. :)

Also, as a bunch of us in LoS learned when we ran a BF1942 server, it's a pain in the ass. It's worth it to me to have someone else police the server, and keep out the cheats and griefers. 50 cents a day for less stress when I'm playing? Sign me up.

Hot Damn 05-09-2003 06:41 AM

Money is not the issue for me. It's the overall game goals. Take a base to lose a base to take a base to lose a base.... You lock a continent, they lock a continent, you both lose your locks, take a base, lose a base, take a base, lose a base.

Spinning Hat 05-09-2003 06:43 AM

There will be more content and features on release. There's no sense in giving us the whole enchilada for free, without leaving some stuff for the release group.

At this point, I'm still going to buy the game, and play it for the free month, but after that, depending on how the release version is, we'll see.

But the caveat to that is this: I don't want to see ATF be just a Beta outfit. I talked to BEE War again last night, and he told me that they were still deliberating on joining ATF, but he said that if they went Vanu, the'd be here. And he said that was a pretty sure thing.

So we have even more peeps wanting to come over.

Malthus 05-09-2003 07:07 AM

I hear ya HD...that's more a decision that everyone has to make on their own, value is a hard thing to define specifically for everyone. :)

That said, doesn't the musical base thing also have to do with no real incentive to defend? It's human nature to go for the greatest reward, and capping bases provides the greatest reward in xp, so thats what people seem to do. If we as an empire stopped to defend a base (in our outfits case we could probably cover 2), would that at least slow down the base game? Is it a flaw in the game or a flaw in how we play it, or both?

Regardless, I've seen so many changes just since I got into beta that I have a lot of faith in the dev teams ability to find the right balance between defensive and offensive rewards. If you don't play the game on release, definately stick around and keep track of the changes, in 3 months it might be exactly what you want to play. :)

Shoddy 05-09-2003 07:11 AM

Yeah, I think you'll get some BEE in here. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be terribly many. For a few who played the beta its not holding their interest anymore. So there may only be 5 or so of us.

Nosferatu 05-09-2003 07:48 AM

If this was my first pay-to-play game I might be a little concerned, but I'm afraid this is the future of gaming. If Planetside enjoys even a modicum of success then it will set a precedent for a whole new generation of pay-to-play games. A gaming company would be dumb NOT to adapt this model that provides them with continual revenue.

If the game continues to improve and change and new features are added fairly regularly (like all mmorpg's) then IMO it's money well spent. The game also provides a "safer" FPS environment with no cheaters or hacks that would give someone an unfair advantage.

I do agree that there needs to be more incentives to do things other than just xp gain. Maybe if things were more teritorial of if there were bonuses to be gained from controlling realstate.

That said, the main source of enjoyment for me personally in this game is playing with you guys. I don't care if I'm stuck in some far off tower or running with the main force into the maw of a heavily defended base.... I like team-based fps action and I enjoy the voice communication and the sense of being a part of something bigger.

Everyone gets burned out on a game eventually, but I fully intend to play Planetside after realease for many months. I haven't had this kinds of fun since I stopped playing T2.

skoog 05-09-2003 08:29 AM

i haven't had this much fun since t1/early days of t2

Walks on Clouds 05-09-2003 09:37 AM

I haven't had this much fun. Period. I love this game and I am getting it, although I really can't afford it. I've been in beta for what, 2 weeks?, and I have seen so many improvements in gameplay that I have no fear of this game getting me bored in the foreseeable future. I certainly do hope that ATF will still be there after beta...

Ghryphen 05-09-2003 09:59 AM

SH, there will not be much different, if any, content at release. They have said that there will be stuff after release.

I would like to see Empire specific air vehicles.

Nosferatu 05-09-2003 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gryphon
SH, there will not be much different, if any, content at release. They have said that there will be stuff after release.

I would like to see Empire specific air vehicles.

I remember waaaaaay back when the very first information about PS had begun to trickle out it was said that stealing enemy technology would be important. That you would be able to steal someone's vehicle and that if you did, you needed to take care of it because an empire might "stop production" of a certain vehicle to make something "new and improved".

To this end, it would be cool if there were garages or hangars on Sanctuary where you could store vehicles. Storing would keep captured enemy vehicles in tact as well as any equipment that you may have loaded up in the trunk.

I think they had originally planned for a LOT more RPG-type elements.

I read an article the other day that said they had enough content in reserve to be able to do monthly content updates through October or November. Maybe they'll release some cool stuff to keep everyone hanging on.... :D

Spinning Hat 05-09-2003 11:53 AM

Well, like I said, we'll see what happens. I am going to buy it for sure. There was talk a long time ago of Naval Combat... Now THAt would add an interesting twist....

SmackDab 05-09-2003 12:45 PM

Just think of how much trouble you STAY OUT OF for only $13 bucks. Like if you weren't playing PS all night long you might be out gangbanging or getting drunk and getting a DUI or killing someone or getting VD from some chick and have to amputate your penis. Man 13 bucks for fun seems cheap to me.

Splidz 05-09-2003 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SmackDab
Just think of how much trouble you STAY OUT OF for only $13 bucks. Like if you weren't playing PS all night long you might be out gangbanging or getting drunk and getting a DUI or killing someone or getting VD from some chick and have to amputate your penis. Man 13 bucks for fun seems cheap to me.
lol! man, 13 bucks is a STEAL, if i can avoid STDs cuz of Planetside they can charge me $50/mo!

Lynxbat 05-09-2003 01:16 PM

Quote:

lol! man, 13 bucks is a STEAL, if i can avoid STDs cuz of Planetside they can charge me $50/mo!
Dude, what kind of sex-ed did you have? Avoiding std's by gaming? Now that would rock as a bumper sticker!

Nosferatu 05-09-2003 01:22 PM

roflmao

Full version of Planetside: $49.99

Monthly fee for playing: $12.99

Avoiding STD's by playing Planetside all the time: Priceless