View Single Post
Old 02-07-2005, 10:38 AM   #8
TimberWolf
LoS-XO, ATF Resident Goober
PlanetSide Characters

TimberWolf RSS Feed
Send a message via AIM to TimberWolf Send a message via MSN to TimberWolf
I can see as well how this could easily fail but if they do it right it could also out do anything else out there. I have not seen or played Matrix online but if it follows the movies then it would have a hard time standing as a MMOG, maybe something like SpiderMan 2 the game but not as it is. Hopefully the company making STO will take the lessons learned by other MMOGs and build off them. One thing I think will help STO is the fact that most of the action takes place in FPS on ever changing planet surfaces (the maps are said to be randomly generated at the beginning of each FPS mission). For those who don't like a lot of FPS can center themselfs on Starship battles (maintaining the systems, regular duties, and following the captains orders) but they probably won't get much in promotions.

What makes me wonder is how will they keep bringing in new material through updates without constricting the ST Universe in the beginning too much or turning it into something completely different over time. I know they will add in other factions, such as Romulans and maybe even Civilian for each race.

I will follow this game because it has the ability for groups to really be together and control themselfs that PS lacked. The ability to command a Starship for the Clan and have the entire crew be Clan members is the type of cooperation I looked for in PS.

"Republican Ideology advanced the concept of 'civic virtue' - the idea that democracy depended on the unselfish commitment of each citizen to the public good." from The Brief American Pageant 6st edition
TimberWolf is offline   Reply With Quote