Old 10-17-2006, 12:34 PM   #16
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via AIM to SilverTalon
Re: ATF Fantasy Football Update

Bears winning the Super Bowl? Ah what the hell...

If the Bears win, I'll send you a gift card to Best Buy or some such.

If not, I expect my food.

"But there's no sense crying over every mistake,
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake"
SilverTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #17
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
I'm not sure who will emerge to be the NFC Superbowl representative (prob. Seattle or Philly) but I will just about bet anything neither Chicago or New Orleans, while good teams, are anywhere near as good as their record makes you believe.....
The Bears have a defense, and that wins championships as the cliche goes.

What they lack is experience, same with the Saints. They're not used to "the show", so I expect they'll make some doofus, cardinal-esque screw-ups in the playoffs if they face a veteran playoff team (which the most certainly will in the Super Bowl even if they luck out in the NFC playoffs).
Old 10-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #18
Nizuttz
t3h suck

Nizuttz RSS Feed
WoW Characters

The stakes are STFU no one cares.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:39 PM   #19
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via Yahoo to Stoke

I typically stay away from betting on sporting events. I will just allow you the honor of rubbing it in my face if the Bears do win.
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:41 PM   #20
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
I typically stay away from betting on sporting events. I will just allow you the honor of rubbing it in my face if the Bears do win.
Do it for the cheesecake stoke! Do it for the cheesecake!!
Old 10-17-2006, 01:24 PM   #21
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banne View Post
No Experience? Our entire ankle grabbing, suck-ass team, including that sheep molesting homo Rex were in the playoffs last year in that OMGWTFBBQPWNING by the PANTHERS!
fixed.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:30 PM   #22
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters

The NFC Championship and the Super Bowl are levels of magnitude beyond what the Bears are used to. If Philly or the Seachickens or the Carolina Panties make it that far, they'll most likely beat the Bears.

The Bears offense is good, for a Bears team. They're just slightly above average compared to the good defenses in the league. New York, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Dallas, Atlanta, Carolina, St. Louis and Seattle have much, much better offenses than Chicago. While Chicago's defense is impressive, against any of those teams you make one mistake and it's a touchdown. Conversely, Chicago doesn't make big plays on offense as much as it lucks into them. Watch those other teams play and you'll see big plays being made in spite of excellent defense, not because nobody bothered to cover someone or because the defender fell down.

Hard to base things off of six games, but Rex has not shown he's a true playoff WINNING QB. While the Ravens proved you don't need a QB to win a Super Bowl, the Bears defense is not the perfect storm that the Ravens were.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:45 PM   #23
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters

I have to agree with Silver.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:49 PM   #24
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters

Made it to the playoffs is not the same as "winning in the playoffs". The Bears are not veteran enough to get the nod to go to the Super Bowl at this point. Now, every other team that's been regulars in the playoffs and knows how to win might not make it...not the way to bet at this point, but it's possible.

The Bears not playing well on national television is what I'm talking about. To win the Super Bowl, you have to win 3 (at least) nationally televised games. If they play that hideously on national TV versus the CARDINALS....yeah, not boding real well. You can't rely on veteran teams who have a culture of winning self-destructing like that, especially in January.

Guess we'll see if I'm dining on cheesecake and ribs in January/February or if you've got a new toy from somewhere.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:33 PM   #25
Belenos
King of the Horny Ferrets

Belenos RSS Feed
WoW Characters

Since you are so confident about winning your cheesecake, you should send Banne a Xbox 360 if he wins. Besides, the odds are with you on this one...

And by the way, Im staying the fuck out of this one. You guys are just jaded cause your teams suck this year.

Last edited by Belenos; 10-17-2006 at 09:35 PM. Reason: because I care...
Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:06 AM   #26
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters

Right now I dont consider a 4 and 2 record "sucking"....

Sure the Kitties got their asses handed to them by Michael Prick and then literally GAVE one to the Vikings giftwrapped.....but.... who plays Baltimore AT Baltimore - the leagues supposedly #2 defense - and puts up over 400 yards of offense? Not just anyteam in the NFL.... and I'd really like to see the cubbies trying to keep up with that Soup Eating McNabb.

Thw cubbies may be decent but I still say wait til the thye play a team that **IS** good and not **SUPPOSED TO BE** good.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:49 AM   #27
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters

Well Stoke, looking at the cream puffs they have on their schedule and how bad the rest of the NFC North is...at this point it's pretty likely they're going to the playoffs at least unless they have a COMPLETE meltdown.

The question is going to be who are they likely to face?

Any of the four teams in the NFC East are poised to go. I'd give the Bears the nod over Washington and Dallas, but Philly and New York have enough between them to beat the Bears. Washington, depending on which team shows up, would either decimate the Bears or lose by at least forty. Dallas...meh, assuming they get Ricky Manning Jr. back, I think the Bears defense can shut down the Cowboys...Drew isn't that great if he's pressured (unlike a certain McQuarterback who uses pressure to score touchdowns).

NFC North...meh, Minnesota MIGHT go, but first year under that coach with a new QB and a whole slew of other newbies...I'd expect the Bears to win that one.

NFC South is interesting. The Atlanta Vicks are looking very "meh", and it's pretty well documented that Vick can't beat an average defense with his arm alone. The Saints, on the other hand....Brees has been there, Reggie Bush while still a rookie is quite familiar with national attention. That'd be a tough call. The Panties are like the Redskins...they'll either blow you out or play like a high school prep team.

The NFC West is the Seachickens and the Rams. I'd say the Bears should be able to handle the Rams, but the Seachickens are the defending NFC champions for a reason.

The key thing to bear (pun intended) in mind while you're preparing my "Tastes of Chicago" package is that championships are not won in September, October or November. Decemeber and January is when the winner is decided.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:07 AM   #28
Danerune

Danerune RSS Feed
WoW Characters

The Vikings QB isn't new, Brad Johnson been in the league something like 14 years and he played a good chunk of last year for the Vikes. They do have offensive problems tho but have a pretty decent offense. They will however lose to the Bears in Soldiers Field because its cold there and despite being up north the Vikings are used to indoor playing.

I don't see the Seahawks giving the Bears trouble... Hawks are having line troubles and Alexander might not be what he was last year with his injury problems.

I would say the two teams to worry about are the Giants and the Eagles, with maybe the Vikes and the Saints in position to upset. Saints are playing well this year afterall Bush and Brees have done something for that team.
Danerune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:10 AM   #29
Danerune

Danerune RSS Feed
WoW Characters

The Ari game got out of hand because Grossman is starting to believe the hype and trying to make too many big plays, while Leinart showed that he should have been the no 1 pick of the draft all on the same night.
Danerune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:58 AM   #30
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters

I don't know about Leinart proving he should have been number one, Bush is playing like a top draft pick and Vince Young, for a rookie, is playing wonderfully. Leinart should have been two or three for sure though.

What I mean by "the Vikings QB is new" is that he's new to the system that Childress brought with him. It's not really how the Vikings played before (for reference, consult Mark Brunell who's a good veteran QB in a new system this year....hot and cold), and he's not got that great of a supporting cast.

Philly and New York...yeah, they can beat any team, in any venue, at any time. I think those two teams are really the elite of the NFC at the moment (Granted, they're both also capable of laying enormous eggs every now and again). They have off days, but those two are truly complete teams. The Bears....eh, once their RB matures and Grossman understands the limits of his abilities and plays within them...they'll be there too.

Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > Sports