Old 12-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
AvengerX
PlanetSide Characters

AvengerX RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via AIM to AvengerX
Star Trek Online Beta Footage

http://www.youtube.com/user/adarons

This guy is posting a ton of footage from the closed beta. Take a look at it while you can! Anyone else planning on playing? I ordered the Collectors Edition last night from Amazon to get the Borg bridge officer. Can't wait to get a shot in open beta. If anyone else plans on playing, let me know and we can form a fleet for ATF.
AvengerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
Ghryphen
Officer
PlanetSide Characters

Ghryphen RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Re: Star Trek Online Beta Footage

I've been in the beta for a little while and it's just ok.

Ships and space doesn't have a very "epic" feeling. The ship combat is pretty fun, but kind of lame everything is kind of "2D", you can't flip over to attack someone behind you, you have to turn left or right, as proved by the shields that have fore/aft/left/right, no top/bottom.

Since the last patch it is really laggy, like running around you rubberband back to an earlier position. They wiped characters and when I replayed the starting area, when running around a ship the screen shakes from explosions, the screen shakes are now proceeded by graphical lag.

The loading between zones is really lame, a lot of times you see stuff processing before the loading splash screen comes up, or when you warp off to load a new zone you see the ship reappear where you started from before the loading screen comes up.

Movement etc pauses when dialog comes up, kind of lame, breaks the flow/reality of multitasking the running a ship. When you stop forward movement, you really stop forward movement. There is no feeling of mass, you stop as soon as you cut power, you go in reverse from forward as soon as you hit reverse.

The loot dialogs are a little clunky and don't seem to come up consistent manner, maybe due to being in combat, but sometimes prompting to loot, sometimes you have to initiate the loot by mashing F while in range.

I wish that they would have worked on the flow better like used a 3D loading screen for things like turbo lifts, put you in a 3D room, load the new area in the background and step out in the new "instance". Instead you click on a glowing door then look at a screenshot of the inside of a turbo lift and watch a loading bar.

It is fun to play, but the grand scale of the Star Trek ships/universe just seems so tiny here.
Ghryphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
AvengerX
PlanetSide Characters

AvengerX RSS Feed
WoW Characters

Interesting info Gryphon. Being a huge Star Trek geek, I'm willing to overlook some stuff, but I was hoping to get in the beta to test everything out for a while before I preordered. Looks like I'll have to pre-order and play the open beta and hope for the best at this point.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
AvengerX
PlanetSide Characters

AvengerX RSS Feed
WoW Characters

Ok, I'm stoked. I just won a closed beta key in a trivia contest. Looking forward to getting in some play time over Christmas break!
Old 12-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
Ghryphen
Officer
PlanetSide Characters

Ghryphen RSS Feed
WoW Characters

Good luck The play dates suck! Probably one on Saturday. They send an email a couple days before each one, usually open on Thurs and Sats.
Ghryphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
AvengerX
PlanetSide Characters

AvengerX RSS Feed
WoW Characters

That sucks that its only available on certain days/times, but understandable considering its closed beta. Haven't received the confirmation e-mail yet, but hoping for it soon.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:04 AM   #7
AvengerX
PlanetSide Characters

AvengerX RSS Feed
WoW Characters

Ok, got it all installed and ready to go... and the next playtest isn't until Wednesday. Figures.

Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > Other Games