Allied Tribal Forces

Go Back   Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > Other Games

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Swad

Swad RSS Feed
Free-to-play micro-transaction games SUCK!

...well, at least that I've found with every game I've tried which used this model to bring money in--until World of Tanks. I figure since a small handful of us have been playing it, it should get a mention here. It's a game which can be played entirely for free, but dropping some money can help a person progress more quickly to new tanks, open up more space to keep tanks, buy higher tier tanks right off the bat and so forth. Overall, though, spending money doesn't give you any real tactical advantage in the game. You can choose to not drop a dime and have quite a bit of fun.

While they kindof try to spin it like an MMO, it really isn't so much. It's more like a FPS game with tanks. Each round pits 15 v 15 tanks on a battlefield with the objective being to destroy the other side, or take over their flag. You gain experience and credits for various things in a round which you use to research and buy improvements to an existing tank or to work towards a new tank. There's also various angles of improving your tank crew so they are more efficient in their job.

All in all, it's worth a look if you like a good shooter. It's strangely addicting--you think you're just going to pop in for a match or two and about a dozen later, you wonder what ever happened to just playing one round. It's pretty fun to play with a couple others as well. This does bring up a big downside to it, though. Sadly, without playing in organized clan matches, you can't play with more than 3 people together at a time, and the battles are made up of random people using matchmaking. You can't get more than 3 together outside of the pure luck chance you might run across people from another platoon in a random battle, but that's pure chance (and has happened a couple times).

Give it a shot if it sounds remotely interesting. It's about a 2GB download and will cost you nothing to try out. A person can easily get into the first 2-3 tiers of tanks without much effort, and again--you don't have to spend a dime if you don't want. You could see most of the entire game without spending money, but you'll just see it at a lot slower pace. Some of us have liked it well enough that we have dropped money on it because it really is that good of a game.
Swad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via AIM to SilverTalon
Re: Free-to-play micro-transaction games SUCK!

To follow up on Swad's comments, the game is oddly addictive. One more round turns into a dozen, especially when you get knocked out early by out-driving any form of support and running into something you can't handle (i.e. - "The Cannonball Manuever").

I've already sunk about as much time into in two weeks as I have into many of the AAA $50-60 titles.

One thing that Swad did overlook is the MMO aspect is hidden in the Clan Wars piece of it where you can "battle" over various parts of "Europe" and the "Med" (as is viewable at: WoT: Clan Wars ). Essentially, you can grind on random battles to get your tank and crew ready to participate in large-scale organized activities with a static social group...which does bear a striking similiarity to the gameplay of...I don't know...WoW and by extension every other MMO. I just point that out random people don't think that the developers are inflating what their game is.

However, we obviously have played for weeks (months in some cases) without touching that aspect and we still have fun driving by the smoking wreck that used to be CB...

"But there's no sense crying over every mistake,
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake"
SilverTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
Stang
THZ* - CO
PlanetSide Characters

Stang RSS Feed
WoW Characters

Sorry no mines to run over and blow people up so it will bore me quickly . Who makes a game without that?!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters

You can drive into artillery fire if it makes you feel better, I'm quite the master at it apparently. Much the same result as a mine too.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
CannonBall
Celebrated Pooper
PlanetSide Characters

CannonBall RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via Yahoo to CannonBall

This is a really fun game. I really enjoy the history of some of these tanks. The upgrades are historically acurate, you can't put a M1A2 on T1 Cunningham. So I've been researching some of my favorite tanks M5 Stuart, M4A3E8 Sherman and that has made the game even more enjoyable.
I leveled up to the tier 3 tanks and paid nothing. The whole losing time thing does happen. Many times I've logged on for a map or two and look up and almost 3hrs is gone.

"This game is great! It is much better than Cats. I will play it again and again."for all you old farts who remember the old SNL skit.

CannonBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters

Swad today mentioned learning more about WW2 tanks than he ever learned in school by trying to figure out what tanks are likely to be ok and which ones are going to blow goats until you get them upgraded.

Of course, some tanks just always suck...we're looking at you T1 Heavy.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
Swad

Swad RSS Feed

Cool--I added you.

Mine is Swad.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
Grunt
Officer
PlanetSide Characters

Grunt RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via ICQ to Grunt Send a message via AIM to Grunt Send a message via MSN to Grunt Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt Send a message via Skype™ to Grunt

Ok I've actually started playing this now as well. I'll add those of you that have posted your names on here. Of course mine is SOBGrunt/
Old 07-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
Swad

Swad RSS Feed

Cool. Dane and Skillet play as well (Danerune and Plankeye in game, respectively). CB is CBonius. Don't let Gryph fool you--he doesn't really play.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
Shadowspirit

Shadowspirit RSS Feed

Downloading now. My user name is shadowkins.
Shadowspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #13
Grunt
Officer
PlanetSide Characters

Grunt RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via ICQ to Grunt Send a message via AIM to Grunt Send a message via MSN to Grunt Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt Send a message via Skype™ to Grunt

Was glad that I was finally able to hook up with you guys and get on TS tonight. Twas a good time. So I took the time to read the manual and here's the deal with Tank Companies:

Quote:

Tank company is a group of players with up to 15 participants. Note
that the total level of all the tank company participants’ vehicles
cannot be less than 70 or over 90.
You also need to have a premium account. I don't think we'd have enough points to hit the min thanks to slakers such as myself....
Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #14
Swad

Swad RSS Feed

Yeah, don't think we could get the numbers w/o outside help. As a reference point, you'd need 10 people with an average tank level of 7 just to do that, which we can't, really.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #15
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters

Not so much anyway. It does take a bit of effort to get to the T7 tanks.

Yay Shadoez joining the dark side!

Did anyone notice they're making a warplane variant?

Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > Other Games