Old 09-12-2007, 02:55 AM   #1
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via Yahoo to Stoke
Was Skillet involved?

OKLAHOMA CITY --

To some Oklahoma football fans, there are things that just aren't done in the heart of Sooner Nation, and one of them is to walk into a bar wearing a Texas Longhorns T-shirt.That's exactly what touched off a bloody skirmish that left a Texas-shirt-wearing fan nearly castrated and an Oklahoma fan facing aggravated assault charges that could put him in prison for up to five years.
The shocking case has set off a raging debate in this football-crazed region about the extreme passions behind a bitter rivalry. Some legal observers have even questioned whether this case could ever truly have an impartial jury.
"I've actually heard callers on talk radio say that this guy deserved what he got for wearing a Texas T-shirt into a bar in the middle of Sooner country," said Irven Box, an attorney in this city 20 miles from Oklahoma's campus in Norman.
According to police, 32-year-old Texas fan Brian Christopher Thomas walked into Henry Hudson's Pub on June 17 wearing a Longhorns T-shirt and quickly became the focus of football "trash talk" from another regular, 53-year-old Oklahoma fan Allen Michael Beckett.
Thomas told police that when he decided to leave and went to the bar to pay his tab, Beckett grabbed him in the crotch, pulled him to the ground and wouldn't let go, even as bar patrons tried to break it up. When the two men were separated, Thomas looked down and realized the extent of his injuries.
"He could see both of his testicles hanging on the outside of his body," said Thomas' attorney, Carl Hughes. "He was wearing a pair of white shorts, which made it that much worse."
It took more than 60 stitches to close the wound, and police interviewed Thomas at a nearby hospital emergency room.
Beckett's attorney, Billy Bock, concedes that his client commented about Thomas' shirt, but said it was just good-natured ribbing and that he apologized to Thomas when it appeared to upset the Texas fan. Later, Bock said Thomas approached his client at the bar and threatened him.
"My client is a little man, and this guy (Thomas) is 30 to 40 pounds bigger than him," Bock said. "He's bigger, stronger, younger and probably faster, and he aggressively leaned in and touched my client and threatened to beat him up. ... My guy was defending himself and just took control of the situation."
Thomas' attorney disputes Beckett's version.
"That's total malarkey," Hughes said. "My client never said a word to him. He got up to pay and when he paid and left a tip, the guy grabbed him."
Beckett, a 53-year-old church deacon, federal auditor and former Army combat veteran, has pleaded not guilty. His next court appearance comes Oct. 4, two days before the Sooners and Horns tangle in their annual football game at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.
Thomas, who once lived in Houston and became a Texas fan during the heyday of star running back Earl Campbell, is still recovering from his injuries but has returned to work as a meat cutter at a Sam's Club warehouse store.
Like Beckett and Thomas, many fans of the two college squads never attended either university, but have come to identify so closely with these teams that they attach banners to their cars, wear team colors on game day and even have programmed their car horns to play school fight songs.
Dallas police Sgt. Andy Harvey, a 12-year veteran of the force, said it's not uncommon for fights to break out between fans of the two schools.
"People are passionate about their teams and their universities, and that's a good thing," he said, "but when you mix a real passionate sports fan and then get a little alcohol in there, sometimes it's not a good mix."
On both Texas and Oklahoma fan Web sites, boosters trade familiar tales of having their car tires slashed or windshields smashed for sporting the opposing team's sticker in enemy territory.
Assistant District Attorney Scott Rowland said the rivalry will have no bearing on the way the case is prosecuted.
"It appears that it played a part in the fight," he said, "but that won't play any more of a role in our handling of the case than would a fight over a girl or a car or a song on the jukebox."
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:38 AM   #2
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via AIM to SilverTalon
Re: Was Skillet involved?

There were no roundhouse kicks involved, so you know the Son of Chuck Norris® was not implicated directly.

"But there's no sense crying over every mistake,
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake"
SilverTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:31 PM   #3
techneck

techneck RSS Feed
WoW Characters

Welcome to Oklahoma. Most sooner fans are over zealous, backwoods, toothless meth addicts, and half of them did not even go there, or have any ties to the school besides the sports programs. Football is huge in Oklahoma, but there has to be some lines not to cross, e.g. ripping peoples balls offs. I support Oklahoma State, and have to spend a lot of time in Norman, most of the time I don't have any problems. I did not go to OSU, but I have spent much time there in various FFA events, so even tho I have a few ties to the school, I really have no reason to get that crazy over a game. Sometimes I wear a Texas hat just to piss people off, and it works fairly well. I guess what I'm saying is that the people that take this stuff too serious are the ones with no reason too. That makes all of the sooner fans, even the 2 or 3, that are nice people look bad. Not all sooner fans are bad so don't get me wrong, there are some that are ok.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:58 PM   #4
Banne
Cake Fairy

Banne RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via AIM to Banne Send a message via MSN to Banne

Yeah, its not bad everywhere. I think its fun to mess with fans of other teams when I go to whitesox games, but I always let them know its in good fun, and make them feel welcome in the city. I was messing with a BoSox fan two years ago, and it was alot of fun, it was nice to hear him say how much he enjoyed the city and the fans.

But what I really meant to post was that no sports team should ever invoke emotions in you that lead to an action that could potentially land you in prison.

Thats just dumb. If people in Chicago did stupid shit like this, we would need a giant wall to seperate the Chubs and Sox fans. Although, Sox fans know that harming a Cubs fan automatically is upgraded to a hate crime due to new laws that include homosexuals under the hate shield. yes. All cubs fans are gay.
Banne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
BlackPlague

BlackPlague RSS Feed
WoW Characters

Alot of people ask me "Are you and OU or an OSU fan?" Really the only reply i ever give is that im a sports fan. I guess when it comes to supporting a team ive never really been into all that. I's much rather support the good athletes instead of the team. Now in the rare case that most of one team had great athletes then you might say i support that team, but as stated that is rare. As far as violence goes ..... i cant see wehre wearing an oposing teams apperal is any reson for violence no matter what.

BlackPlague is offline   Reply With Quote

Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > Sports