Go Back   Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > Sports

Notices

Old 04-03-2006, 07:15 AM   #16
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via Yahoo to Stoke
Well, at least I participated unlike the rest of you trolls.
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:35 AM   #17
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via AIM to SilverTalon
I would have participated had you selected a sport that didn't suck.

"But there's no sense crying over every mistake,
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake"
SilverTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:45 AM   #18
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters
And that sport would be what Eagle Boy?.....
Old 04-03-2006, 08:43 AM   #20
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Is it football seaon now? I didnt think so.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:05 AM   #22
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Again I say...is it football season. Those don't count. Like Indoor soccer... and hockey.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:50 AM   #23
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Arena football is actually kind fun to watch as a "football substitute"...I'd take the NFL any day of the week, but since the NFL isn't around...

The NFL Europe games are in that little niche between college and the NFL. They can be fun to watch as well.

The worst football game is almost always > the best basketball game.

Hockey sucks now that they don't let riots break out on the ice...
Old 04-03-2006, 12:04 PM   #24
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters
We've had 2 Arena teams here and it just didnt catch on for whatever reason. I guess its just not going to work in an NFL city. I never cared to watch AF on tv. The first team, the Charlotte Rage played in the original Old Coliseum (only held about 10,000) and it was really a lot of fun to go to the games. When they moved to what is now the newer Old Coliseum (held 24,000), it lost its apeal and the 2nd team, the Carolina Cobras just didnt last....

Now we have the New Coliseum, they moved the minor league hockey team from the original old coliseum to the new one (where they play basketball), its not going over as well either. But then again, why do they bother to play hockey in the south anyway....
Old 04-03-2006, 05:18 PM   #25
Ardamir

Ardamir RSS Feed
College sports are better than professional anyday...Especially when your team wins the nat'l championship
Old 04-03-2006, 07:56 PM   #26
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters
College sports kinda suck, actually.

College football results in games that are practically impossible for one team to lose barring a massive meltdown. The fact that schedules are often manipulated to inflate both BCS standing and attendance money is in itself wholly unsavory. There are teams that have turned being bad into a profit machine by agreeing to play an away game for a cut of the ticket sales at the gate, knowing that their own home ticket sales would be insufficient. As much as people say college football is about the game, it's all about the money in the end...at least the NFL is honest about it and has controls in place to ensure a modicum of fairness. Hell, that's how you get teams like Carolina and Tampa Bay going from the dumpster one year and Super Bowl champs (or at least near it) the next and how the 49ers can go from a dominant dynasty to a sad-sack loser in the span of a few years.

NFL >>>>>>> College Football...anyone who says otherwise just hasn't looked into college football that much. Only good thing you can say about NCAA football over the NFL is more teams = more cheerleaders.

The football theme is repeated throughout the college sports with professional equivalents really. The same underhanded schedule manipulation and padding goes in to ensure more money from tickets, advertisments and school endorsements.

They're no different, just one set of sports doesn't try to pretend it's about something else. It always comes down to money.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:36 PM   #27
Ardamir

Ardamir RSS Feed
Youre sitting here telling me that the NFL is better than college football because it is all about money....thats kinda ironic. Where is it where player get paid millions of dollars and do huge endorsement deals so they can buy huge houses? Oh its the NFL? How bout that!
Unlike many underfunded state schools which are dependant on their sports programs to make money, the NFL is a bunch of greedy, overpaid, egotisical guys. Oh ya, the fans are much more passionate at college football games. Ask the NFL players, theyll set ya straight.
Ardamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:17 AM   #28
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTalon
There are teams that have turned being bad into a profit machine by agreeing to play an away game for a cut of the ticket sales at the gate, knowing that their own home ticket sales would be insufficient.
The school I went to is an Division I-AA school. Enrollment of about 6-7,000. Every year there are always at least 2 away games against decent Division I schools that we stand no chance of winning. When questioned about it, the athletic department said the visitors share of the ticket receipts from those 2 games alone pretty much financed the rest of the non Football/Basketball athletic programs for that year. If we didnt take those two losses up the butt, then there would be no baseball, softball, soccer, track, underwater basketweaving, etc......
Old 04-04-2006, 05:29 AM   #29
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters
So because the state of educational funding in America sucks (which it does), it's ok to manipulate thousands of people to make the money? The bottom-line is that they're both about the money. Saying that because the college (nominally) uses it for education is a bit fallicious. The legend of the athelete's free ride through college? Think that might have something to do with the money attached to sports? They get degrees, and the entire American educational system is cheapened upon the altar of college sports. Now, that's not every athelete...many earned their grades and degrees like everyone else, but any school that turns a blind eye to any substandard performance because of what the student can do on a sports field is to blame for the poor quality of education.

For example, the whole thing with Marcus Vick at VA Tech went on for far too long. No "normal" student could have done things similar and not been punished severely well before Marcus actually got it. Why? Because the fans liked him, and paid money to see him. When he pulled the stunt at the Bowl Game and fan opinion rapidly turned against him...suddenly parking tickets acquired off-campus are reasons to boot him from the team. They wanted him gone before that, it just wasn't wise economically to enrage the fans.

There are also many NFL franchises that have no good fans, just like there are many schools who usurp education in the name of sports money. This is not all of them. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia have absolutely fanatical fans...if you've never heard of the Steeler Nation, you've not been paying attention. Set a Cowboys fan next to a Redskins fan and watch the fun ensue. Just because some franchises don't have any fan loyalty (49ers...Cardinals...etc) does not mean they all share that trait.

Players in Philadelphia (going to the team of which I'm most familiar) often describe it as the most emotionally intense place they've ever played. Sure, it's wise to be kind to the hand that feeds you, but there's a reason that many players there will take pay cuts to stay there or come back.

Are sports atheletes overpaid? Absolutely. But the blame for that lies squarely in the mirror, not with the players or the league.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:27 AM   #30
Nizuttz
t3h suck

Nizuttz RSS Feed
WoW Characters
I like college football better than NFL football as well and the reason for it is...

BECAUSE I FUCKIN DO! so Yay!

Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > Sports