LoS-XO, ATF Resident Goober
PlanetSide Characters

TimberWolf RSS Feed
Send a message via AIM to TimberWolf Send a message via MSN to TimberWolf
Future Plans

Striaght from the PS site:

Quote:
Associate Producer's Letter - July 21, 2003
Several weeks ago, we announced our future plans for the game and started on PlanetSide's never-ending journey of continually added content and gameplay. The two new vehicles we added, the Liberator three-person bomber and the SkyGuard anti-aircraft buggy, have had a huge impact on battle conditions across Auraxis. Commanders are now able to rain destruction on their enemies through the Orbital Strike and EMP Blasts. Medics are now able to locate soldiers that need their help easier. I wanted to take a moment to shed some light on what's next for PlanetSide.

In a few weeks, we'll be shaking up the base capture process by bringing out of the SOI and back onto the terrain. In order to successfully capture a base, rather than waiting inside the base's SOI for the capture process to count down, players will need to capture a base's Lattice Logic Unit and deliver it to one of their nearest facilities. We'll describe this more fully in the coming days.

In the month of August, we will be finishing up the long-awaited Facility Link Benefits across the world. As described previously, these will include the following:

Bio Laboratory: Reduces all respawn penalties by 50%. Note that this only applies to linked facilities , not Towers or AMSs.
Technology Plant: Makes "advanced" vehicles available at any vehicle pad linked to a friendly Tech Plant.
Amp Station: Allows vehicles to recharge their shield capacitors in the courtyard of any linked facility. This shield strengthens the armor of the vehicle, but its strength dissipates as damage hits that shield. Vehicles recharge over time when in a linked courtyard. Vehicles' energy dissipates only when they're damaged. There is no way to recharge a shield capacitor "in the field."
Dropship Center: Allows access to Repair/Rearm Pads at linked facilities. Air vehicles can now land on the air vehicle pads, and ground vehicles can pull up to a wall station in the courtyards. Once at the Dropship Center, the vehicles can repair themselves over time; and they can access a terminal interface that's based in the Equipment Terminal allowing them to fill their trunk space without leaving the vehicle.
Interlink Facility: Greatly enhances the coverage area of a player's basic radar and makes Phalanx Wall Turrets much more effective.

In addition, we will be implementing the Base Ownership System. This will allow Outfits to stake their claim on a friendly base and claim certain benefits as long as it remains under their Empire's control. Outfits will be able to quickly recall to Outfit-owned bases, similar to recalling to Sanctuary. An Outfit-owned base will always be available as a respawn point to players on the same continent, regardless of their proximity to the base. Of course, controlling your own turf isn't half as cool if no one knows the base is yours. This will warn enemies of who they're about to attack upon entering an Outfit-owned SOI. The Outfit's logo will appear on the Empire hologram flag and be visible over the base SOI on the Continental Map.

To help those brave soldiers who choose to stay behind and defend their Empire's facility holdings, there will be an Enemy Density Warning. Soldiers in a friend SOI will be alerted when enemy forces begin to build up near the facility.

We continue our ongoing efforts to eliminate bugs and exploits. There have been a few stubborn issues that we hope to have addressed soon. We'll also implementing enhanced community features in the near future.

For Land. For Power. Forever. See you on Auraxis!

Danny "Blackbird" Han
Associate Producer

"Republican Ideology advanced the concept of 'civic virtue' - the idea that democracy depended on the unselfish commitment of each citizen to the public good." from The Brief American Pageant 6st edition
TimberWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 11:36 PM   #2
SlayerZero
PlanetSide Characters

SlayerZero RSS Feed
Send a message via ICQ to SlayerZero
AND STILL no word on Platoons..*sigh*
Old 07-22-2003, 04:33 AM   #3
Splidz
PlanetSide Characters

Splidz RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Yeah, no platoons, but this sounds cool. "Lattice Logic Unit" - can you say "capture the flag"? Should be interesting...
Old 07-22-2003, 05:21 AM   #4
Swad

Swad RSS Feed
It will be interesting to see how this stuff pans out. I just want to be able to land my craft and repair / reload on a pad. Also, It would be nice if they would just implement some form of platoons so you could coordinate and communicate more easily. I and others couldn't honestly care less if there is any sharing of XP. We just need the communications abilities.

Last edited by Swad; 07-22-2003 at 05:48 AM.
Swad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:37 AM   #5
SlayerZero
PlanetSide Characters

SlayerZero RSS Feed
Send a message via ICQ to SlayerZero
No kidding, jsut to be able to have at least 2 squads worth of people with the same way points and each squad dividing the exp only amonst them selfs would be so killer. And to have those pilons that they jsut HAD to add work would be nice, sick of seeing usless crap ina base.
SlayerZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 07:29 AM   #6
Shoddy
PlanetSide Characters

Shoddy RSS Feed
Sounds like they're contemplating some significant gameflow stuff and I think that's more urgently needed than the platoon stuff.
Shoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 07:53 AM   #7
Swad

Swad RSS Feed
Heh... even people on PSU are bitching about a lot of this. If you guys start bitching here I'LL TK EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU IN GAME. Too fed up with ungreatful bastards.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:27 AM   #8
SmackDab
PlanetSide Characters

SmackDab RSS Feed
Send a message via ICQ to SmackDab
WTF, our AA MAX still sucks....lol
SmackDab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:21 AM   #9
TimberWolf
PlanetSide Characters

TimberWolf RSS Feed
I would not be suprised if they make it so only a certain vehicle can carry the Lattice Logic Unit, similar in that only the ANT can carry NTU's. It would probably be a modified ANT, with its NTU coils removed and a docking system in its place to "capture" the unit from the base and transport it to the next where its then docked. It would be better yet if you had to take the unit back after being redone for your empire and place it back into the base you want to capture. That would force much more team work and coordination then whats seen for the most part right now.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:42 AM   #10
SmackDab
PlanetSide Characters

SmackDab RSS Feed
Send a message via ICQ to SmackDab
But still, NO ENCENTIVE for defense, still, after so much bitching and help from the community, they just give us a WARNING. WTF, man, Dave G is a total idiot I guess.

His vision, or NO vision!
SmackDab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:53 AM   #11
Freebird
PlanetSide Characters

Freebird RSS Feed
What's with this Base Ownership system? That's nuts! There are far more outfits than there are bases right now. How do they intend on having an Outfit base without some sort of overlap?
Old 07-22-2003, 09:58 AM   #12
TimberWolf
PlanetSide Characters

TimberWolf RSS Feed
I can't really see any good way to make an encentive to keep people defending a base. The rehacking is great under large battle conditions, which is an encentive to hold a base in those cunditions, but not when there is just a handfull of enemy troops in the SOI. The only thing I can think of that would make people want to defend is make each kill worth 3 or 4 times the normal amount of exp. in your Empires Bases SOI.

The CTF like hacking would make the maps geography more usefull and actualy make it more fun in general. Instead of spending all you time at bases, they are encouraging battles along the roads. I am getting sick of doing the rinse and repeat attacks at bases. I think its time they tossed us some new bones to chew on. Thats also why I am trying Infiltration.

Yes, I agree they need to do more in getting people to want to defend, but they can only do so much. It comes down to how the people want to play. I didn't mind sitting at a tower for 30mins or so defending it from the few hackers that came once in a wail, but thats a small place to defend and I was all alone.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:32 AM   #13
Splidz
PlanetSide Characters

Splidz RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Well, the outfit ownership thing I can see working towards defense. It gives you warnings about it, it lets you recall quickly to that base, and so on. I'm guessing that outfits will get to claim a base when the base changes hands, based on whether or not that outfit members got the most points or kills from the capture (i.e. which outfit did the most work). That's why I think it's a little unlikely that we will have bases very often or for very long, since we are quite small. But that doesn't really matter.

The enemy density warning is a great idea, I think. These ideas fit in pretty close to some suggestions I made in the past on the PS forums. Specifically, I said that there needs to be more awareness of where enemies are, and there needs to be a way to quickly defend bases "behind the lines".

Hopefully these changes will mean that when we show up on a continent that appears empty and start hacking bases, enemies will appear a lot quicker. That equals more fun for everyone.
Splidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 11:18 AM   #14
Swad

Swad RSS Feed
Quote:
Originally posted by Splidz
Hopefully these changes will mean that when we show up on a continent that appears empty and start hacking bases, enemies will appear a lot quicker.[/B]
Exactly. It's not fun to spend an hour walking across a continent uncontested. Maybe now when something like this starts it will alert the enemy and we can get a good fight for a continent that we choose to try to take rather than just take a walk.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:18 AM   #15
TimberWolf
PlanetSide Characters

TimberWolf RSS Feed
It would be easyer to defend a base with fewer numbers if they added a security room and cameras through the base. They can set it up so that only a single CR2 or higher can use the system at a time in room which would have multiple locks on the door, which have to be unlocked within seconds of each other. Put cameras in the Gen room, CC room, Main Entrence, Spawn room, Stair well, Gerbel door hall way, if its a tech plant then on at the Vehicle Pads, if its the dropship center then on at the Air vehicle pad, and if its the bio lab then one in the cert/implant room.

As I talked about at the very beginning of beta, we should choose one base to stay at and keep as our own. The Outfit ownership goes along with that very idea, and makes it easyer to do. I don't think ownership will be bases off what outfit did the best in taking the base. I think it would be more like first come first servered, and then if no one in that outfit is there for 30mins then it reverts back to empire ownership. This would help solve the defence problem too since an actual group will have something to protect that is their own. They would protect the base to also protect their reputation. They would be responcible for the caring of the base, the supply of the NTU's, and any damage that will be delt to any of its equipment.

Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > PlanetSide 2