Allied Tribal Forces

Go Back   Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > Technical

Notices

Old 03-02-2003, 06:38 PM   #1
Dionisus

Dionisus RSS Feed
Windows XP questions...

Does anyone here know anything about Windows User accounts for XP?

I currently have two roomates who use my compter constantly, and I am not happy about it. I want to be able to limit them to only using MS Word and IE Explorer, and not allow them to fool around with the background, install programs, or change any settings. Currently they have been downloading **** to the computer that i don't want, and basically fooling around with lots of stuff that I don't want them to use. I created a limited account for em, but that doesn't seem to be effective. Is there anything XP program or settings that can let me specifically limit what other users are able to do on my computer?
Old 03-02-2003, 07:33 PM   #2
Jester
THZ* - XO

Jester RSS Feed
hrm. Seems to me that you should just delete their accounts and pw yours. so that they cannot do anything and then just tell to get their own damn computer.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 09:28 PM   #3
Dionisus

Dionisus RSS Feed
yea, i want to do that, but i am not cold-hearted. One of my roomates uses a Mac from like 91', and his family isn't very well off so he can't really get a new one. My other roomate has a fairly new laptop, but he won't upgrade his windows so he can't use our campus e-mail and stuff

They already ruined my floppy drive, they jammed a disk in there and now it doesn't read at all =(

But, i did find a sweet program which lets me do everything i asked, unfortunatly it is only free for 30 days. Good side is that now they can only use MS Office and IE Explorer, and that is all
Dionisus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 05:51 AM   #4
Spinning Hat
XMEN - CO
PlanetSide Characters

Spinning Hat RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via ICQ to Spinning Hat Send a message via AIM to Spinning Hat Send a message via MSN to Spinning Hat Send a message via Yahoo to Spinning Hat
One way to do that, is to create the limited accounts, and in your account, under sharing and security, you make make all your files private, keeping them out of your files in the My Documents folder, etc. Also, you can go through their accounts, and delete all the shortcuts to other software so all they can use is IE and Word. I'll do some more searching on editing user accounts in a bit, and get you some MS Knowledge Base Articles to read, because XP allows all kinds of user rights stuff.

BTW- is this XP home or Pro?
Spinning Hat is offline   Reply With Quote

Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > Technical