Allied Tribal Forces

Go Back   Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > Technical

Notices

Old 06-05-2003, 12:59 AM   #1
Dax
PlanetSide Characters

Dax RSS Feed
SOE sucks

Ok the other day i loaded up Planet Side to play me a games of Planet side...

well the SECOND it finnished loading i heard a click and my screen went black and comp started to hum a bit...

what ended up happening is that the geforce 3 ti 2100 (128 MB card) was Blown (and i am suspecting slight damage to the APG port as well) to make a really LONG and depressing story short I spent the last 3 days trying to get my computer to work. with lots of Lost data and hard work and a few tears... i got it back up again.... it was a REAL bitch to get the OS back on it... everytime i tryed it would just freaze in the middle of installation.

anyways SOE wont take any responsability for a few month old card Blowing.... (well it was in operation a few months) it was on a shelf long enough to be past warrinty)
Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 01:42 AM   #2
Grunt
Officer
PlanetSide Characters

Grunt RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via ICQ to Grunt Send a message via AIM to Grunt Send a message via MSN to Grunt Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt Send a message via Skype™ to Grunt
Uh dude that sucks... but it's hardly SOE's fault. I'm betting that your cooling fan on the vid card stopped working and eventually it just overheated.

Sorry to hear it though.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:11 AM   #3
insaneferret
PlanetSide Characters

insaneferret RSS Feed
sorry to hear that, your computer frying can really suck, it's happened to me before

well i've been playing planetside daily scince early beta and i havent had any problems of that kind with the same card (less memory), the card's cooling is probably defective

are you sure it's the vcard that's blown? i've seen clicks and total crashes come from defective hard drives, which would also explain your OS problems, are you seeing artifacts on the screen? (a sure sign of vcard damage)

my card, asus v8200 deluxe (mine is fitted with a 60-80mm fan adaptor and a 80mm fan and overclocked 20%)

Last edited by insaneferret; 06-05-2003 at 08:17 AM.
insaneferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 06:59 AM   #4
the46
PlanetSide Characters

the46 RSS Feed
Send a message via AIM to the46
Quote:
Originally posted by [SOB]Grunt
Uh dude that sucks... but it's hardly SOE's fault. I'm betting that your cooling fan on the vid card stopped working and eventually it just overheated.

Sorry to hear it though.
Man I would have loved to be the guy at SOE who received this call.. Dude call your the place you got your video card..
the46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 09:34 AM   #5
Dax
PlanetSide Characters

Dax RSS Feed
The fan is the only thing on the card that still works...

and there is HD problems... they both have bad sectors from MASSAVE over use. But with the fan still working and the card blowing the second i opend there software makes it pretty susspisous

edited:
(oh and the card belong to my Friend who no longer is in the state) he moves arround so much i bet even he doesnt know were he got it...
edited:
Old 06-05-2003, 09:40 AM   #7
Dax
PlanetSide Characters

Dax RSS Feed
uh.... dax cant afford a new card will take a few months to grab enough cash for that....
Old 06-05-2003, 10:53 AM   #8
Splidz
PlanetSide Characters

Splidz RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Modern games like Planetside do all of their graphics work through DirectX. They don't communicate directly with the hardware, they communicate with DirectX which communicates with your hardware. So if it was game-related, you can blame Microsoft, like usual.

But the chances of software directly causing a hardware malfunction are pretty slim.

Sucks about your vid card though.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:54 AM   #9
Splidz
PlanetSide Characters

Splidz RSS Feed
WoW Characters
About your warranty though, I don't get it, I've never seen a warranty whose time is calculated from moment of manufacture. All the ones I've seen are from the time you bought it. If your GeForce has a crap warranty get an ATI card, I think mine has a warranty of three years. Not sure, but it's at least a year.

Btw, I had a GeForce2 for over a year, and it blew on me...the heatsink fell off and fried the chip. I had to mail them the defective card, but I got a new one no problem.
Splidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 12:24 PM   #10
Malthus
PlanetSide Characters

Malthus RSS Feed
I told you how to handle the warranty Dax...pull out the card. Somewhere there is a sticker that tells you who made it. Goto their website and find their customer service phone number. Call them up and ask what you have to do to get an RMA number and send your card back under warranty. If they ask you anything about where or when you bought it you tell them it was a gift and you have no reciept. It's that simple. A friend of mine did it with 3 different cards, all over a year and got new ones for all 3.
Malthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:46 PM   #11
Dax
PlanetSide Characters

Dax RSS Feed
It was purchased from GoogleGear my friend is checking on the warrentey now... if its up i will try your sugestion.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:09 PM   #12
Spinning Hat
XMEN - CO
PlanetSide Characters

Spinning Hat RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via ICQ to Spinning Hat Send a message via AIM to Spinning Hat Send a message via MSN to Spinning Hat Send a message via Yahoo to Spinning Hat
Hell, I'd do it anyways. Who's was it? Kings?
Spinning Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 04:24 PM   #13
Dax
PlanetSide Characters

Dax RSS Feed
yeah it was kings
Old 06-05-2003, 06:59 PM   #14
Malthus
PlanetSide Characters

Malthus RSS Feed
It has nothing to do with where he bought it, and everything to do with what manufacturer mad the card. It's on a sticker on the back of the card, look it up.
Malthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 07:47 AM   #15
SmackDab
PlanetSide Characters

SmackDab RSS Feed
Send a message via ICQ to SmackDab
I did that with Guillemont/Gainward sent them an email told them what was up they sent me a RMA number and replaced the card, didn't even ask about where I bought it or proof of payment or anything.
SmackDab is offline   Reply With Quote

Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > Technical