Allied Tribal Forces

Go Back   Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > General Forum

Notices

Old 07-12-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
Sharpster

Sharpster RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via AIM to Sharpster Send a message via MSN to Sharpster Send a message via Yahoo to Sharpster
Haha, when im not in my basement watchin tv or playing ps2... i'm chillin with my family in the living room, and pretty much unless we are watchin a movie my mom has fox news on in the backgrounder all the time.. I actually saw that happen when it was aired on fox news
Old 07-12-2005, 11:13 AM   #3
Jadal

Jadal RSS Feed
I really cant decide who the bigger "idiot" is: The citizen, the first commentator, or Fox News. Seems like a toss up between the three.

It's a shame the guy couldn't come up with the appropriate response, which is: Freedom of speech is a right not a gift. The armed forces protect the country and government of the United States. Free speech is not a gift from the military to its' citizens. Free speech is an inalienable right which is yours upon birth.

This is obviously a lame attempt by Fox News to once again shove the Neo-conservative view point to the audience. This guy wouldnt have gotten any air time on a legitimate news program. But of course, it was an opportunity for Fox to wave their collective flags and show us how patriotic they are. They should switch their name to Fox Propaganda; Your #1 Source for Wishful Thinking, Half-Truths, and Out Right Lies.

Disgusting
Jadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:38 PM   #5
Swad

Swad RSS Feed
Just as an aside--this show isn't trying to be news, per se. Hannity & Colmes totes itself as a highly opinionated commentary show. Hannity clearly states all the time that he's staunchly conservative (at least on his radio show--I listen to it if it's on when I'm in the car). I believe Colmes clearly holds that he is of liberal thinking. I'm not going to go blow the bugle for FoxNews, but it is tunnel vision to believe that no other news network doesn't have opinion based shows along with their news. They're all the same. It so happens that Fox is about the only one approaching things from the right where others are more left. No one network can be called center. Anyone can see bias for one way or another given their worldview and political stance.

I could easily take this line:

Quote:
They should switch their name to Fox Propaganda; Your #1 Source for Wishful Thinking, Half-Truths, and Out Right Lies.
and swap out Fox for any other major news network. It's all just entertainment these days. People have to pull out the news they want and interpret it how they see fit. Pinning just one as biased, though, is--well--biased. :P
Swad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:41 PM   #6
Splidz
PlanetSide Characters

Splidz RSS Feed
WoW Characters
The right to freedom of speech in the US comes from the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. It's the US military's job to protect the Constitution as well as the persons and property of Americans, although these days whether or not they are doing that or simply fulfilling American imperial ambitions is arguable and not something I'm willing to get into here.

The subtext of the broadcast, though, is more interesting than what this asshat had to say about US troops: FOX News has him on the program because to them, he represents a "liberal". They went and found some offensively ignorant moron and put him on the show not because there's any shortage of morons and finding one is newsworthy, but because he reaffirms the views FOX viewers already have of "liberals" or people who are "anti-military": that they are idiots. In other words:

Quote:
This is obviously a lame attempt by Fox News to once again shove the Neo-conservative view point to the audience. This guy wouldnt have gotten any air time on a legitimate news program. But of course, it was an opportunity for Fox to wave their collective flags and show us how patriotic they are. They should switch their name to Fox Propaganda; Your #1 Source for Wishful Thinking, Half-Truths, and Out Right Lies.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:57 PM   #7
Jadal

Jadal RSS Feed
Worth a read:

"WE hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness -- That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happines"

"endowed by their Creator" -- the rights we have are not gifts from one man to another but are entitlements to the human condition.

Be that as it may, the point has been brought up that the military "protects" our rights. If your saying that the military in protecting the status quo also protects our right to free speech, then yes, in a round about way you could make that argument. Of course, by using the same argument, you would have to admit that every function of your daily life is protected by the military. It might then follow, in cases of the extreme, we could never speak out or protest against the military/government because these are the people who "protect" us so we just need to keep quite.

Now I personally do not agree with the idea that the military protects my rights as an American. It would be more accurate to say the individual actions of each citizen on a day to day basis protects cumlitively our rights as guaranteed by The Decleration of Independance and the US Constitution. Did the military protect Larry Flynt's right to free speech? No. Larry Flynt in front of the Supreme Court protected his right to free speech and in so doing protected every Americans right to free speech. If it is the job of the military to protect our rights, where were they when Larry Flynt needed them?

Swad,

Yes, I think it is important to be careful of what is on any news station. I always try to remember the motiviation behind the story being told. I didnt say that Fox is biased to the exclusion of the others. What I inferred was that Fox news was being irresponsible with this segment. This particular show might provide all the necessary disclaimers as to what type of show it is: News or Opinion but it is still under the "Fox News" network. News should not be about entertainment. It should be about informing us as to what is going on. In other words, entertainment is all well and good but the News should be foremost and if, as an aside, we are entertained so be it.

One more thing and I will honor your request to STFU . Pay attention to the many ways in which institutions portray us. Red state vs. Blue state. Liberal vs. Conservative. Right vs. Left. How do these classifications help to better society as a whole? They dont. They are used by both sides, sometimes more from one than another, to keep us from focusing on the bigger issues. To cause division and fracture our resolve. If I'm busy being upset with you (you general, not you specific), worrying about how you are causing all the angst in my life, how can I spend time worrying about what the government is doing. They (gov.) keep telling me I wouldnt have any worries except for those people over there who are in the way of happiness and progress.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:01 PM   #8
Muzo
PlanetSide Characters

Muzo RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Huh? WOW you guys are so freaking paranoid holy geez! LOL at Jadal and Splidz WOW simply WOW! Maybe I missed something but how is this about labeling liberals/ freedom of speach?? The guys is a total moron, and that’s that, please don’t turn this into a “ Everyone hates Liberals waaaaaa!” topic.

You guys need to watch this new show on FOX it’s freaking awesome! I think it’s called “When Forum topics get politicized and completely ruined“ …
Muzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:08 PM   #9
Jadal

Jadal RSS Feed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzo
Huh? WOW you guys are so freaking paranoid holy geez! LOL at Jadal and Splidz WOW simply WOW! Maybe I missed something but how is this about labeling liberals/ freedom of speach?? The guys is a total moron, and that’s that, please don’t turn this into a “ Everyone hates Liberals waaaaaa!” topic.

You guys need to watch this new show on FOX it’s freaking awesome! I think it’s called “When Forum topics get politicized and completely ruined“ …
Come on bro, I know you arent hip to the political scene but do you honestly think that segment was news worthy? Who the fuck cares about this guy and his opinion. Yes he is a moron. He was a moron when he wrote what he did and he became a bigger moron when he came on TV completely unprepared for the slaughter that would ensue.

Be that as it may, I still say Fox can suck chode for having the guy on and for attempting to paint him as the face of a liberal, if that was their intent. Now I dont watch Fox all the time, but enough to know they are very devisive <sp>. Were they trying to show there are weirdos out there or were they saying "hey look at this liberal nut job. We need to continue to be on guard from these people" If nothing else, they just wanted to bring some guy on who they could rail against who they knew would more than likely be uneducated.

Edit: Oh yea, get back to work bitch!

Last edited by Jadal; 07-12-2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:47 PM   #10
Stang
THZ* - CO
PlanetSide Characters

Stang RSS Feed
WoW Characters
This was found by a friend on another board about this idiot.

http://http://trueorbetter.blogspot....rook-dead.html
Old 07-12-2005, 04:51 PM   #11
Jadal

Jadal RSS Feed
link no worky worky for me
Old 07-12-2005, 04:57 PM   #12
Grunt
Officer
PlanetSide Characters

Grunt RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via ICQ to Grunt Send a message via AIM to Grunt Send a message via MSN to Grunt Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt Send a message via Skype™ to Grunt
I'm a TOTAL SLACKER!!!! THAT'S RIGHT YOU HOMOS OUT THERE, I PROTECT YOUR RIGHT TO GET IT UP THE REAR!!!!!

OH AND FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE THAT PAY TAXES? AHAHAHHAHAHA JOKES ON YOU. YOU PAY MY SALARY TO SIT AROUND EATING DOUGHNUTS!!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 04:58 PM   #13
Grunt
Officer
PlanetSide Characters

Grunt RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via ICQ to Grunt Send a message via AIM to Grunt Send a message via MSN to Grunt Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt Send a message via Skype™ to Grunt
PS I'm just post whoring so don't get yer panties in a bunch....
Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:02 PM   #14
Swad

Swad RSS Feed
* glares at Grunt while he grabs for the starch and clothes iron
Old 07-12-2005, 05:04 PM   #15
Swad

Swad RSS Feed
Awww... I didn't tell anyone to STFU (PS - post whoring as well).

Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > General Forum