Go Back   Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > Technical

Notices

Old 09-27-2004, 09:24 PM   #1
Spinning Hat
XMEN - CO
PlanetSide Characters

Spinning Hat RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via ICQ to Spinning Hat Send a message via AIM to Spinning Hat Send a message via MSN to Spinning Hat Send a message via Yahoo to Spinning Hat
I finally pulled the trigger....

And ordered my Laptop. Don't think it'll make it in time for the LAN, unless HP finishes and ships it early. (It's supposed to ship Oct. 11th, so I doubt that very much so. ) Here's what I got:

HP ZX5000 series Notebook
Intel P4 CPU w/ HT @ 3 GHz
1GB PC2700 DDR
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 128Mb
60GB 5400 RPM HDD
15.4" WXGA display (15.4" Widescreen)
DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
Integrated LAN, Integrated 802.11B/G w/ Speedboster, Integrated 56K Modem, 5 in 1 Media Reader (Integrated)
Harmon Kardon Stereo Speakers
Win XP Home
12 cell Lithium Ion battery

All that for $1599 before a $50 rebate, with free shipping. What do you guys think? A worthwhile purchase, or not enough to fight off the "old" bug for a couple years? I got it mostly for Schoolwork, Papers, etc. but I wanted to be able to play some games on it too, and I know the 9600 isn't the newest GPU for notebooks, it's the best one HP offers.
Spinning Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 09:26 PM   #2
Spinning Hat
XMEN - CO
PlanetSide Characters

Spinning Hat RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via ICQ to Spinning Hat Send a message via AIM to Spinning Hat Send a message via MSN to Spinning Hat Send a message via Yahoo to Spinning Hat
For those that don't know, My Clan is hosting a LAN in Dallas in about 2 weeks. I copied and pasted this thread from our forums, because I'm lazy. There's still time to sign up for the LAN, just follow the link to the XMEN on the friends and allies quick menu on the bottom.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:46 AM   #3
Spinning Hat
XMEN - CO
PlanetSide Characters

Spinning Hat RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Surprisingly enough, HP is shipping my Laptop as we speak, from Kunshan, China. It left the FedEx Ramp last night in Shanhai, so hopefully I'll see it in a couple more days!
Old 10-01-2004, 10:25 AM   #5
KWood
CO Indy
PlanetSide Characters

KWood RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Times have changed.....I used to build those laptops for HP in Houston.
KWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 10:45 AM   #6
Spinning Hat
XMEN - CO
PlanetSide Characters

Spinning Hat RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Kwood, I wish they were still made here in the USA. I think that Americans building something they know is going directly to another American makes them take that extra step to ensure the quality of their product, because they know they wouldn't want to spend $1600 for a pile of crap computer. Not to mention, shipping time is greatly reduced to get to my house.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:00 PM   #7
Ardamir

Ardamir RSS Feed
LAN in Dallas? I live like 4 hours South of you in Victoria.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:56 AM   #8
Spinning Hat
XMEN - CO
PlanetSide Characters

Spinning Hat RSS Feed
WoW Characters
I don't live in Dallas, I live in Minnesota. But I'll be in Dallas for the XMEN MegaLAN Oct. 15th - 17th. We'll be playing T:V, Probably some BF1942 or BF:Vietnam, Or UT2k4(3) or whatever else anyone comes up with for us to play over a LAN.

If you want to attend, and meet some of the XMEN, and people from other clans in the gaming world, you're more than welcome to attend, the cost is $25 for the event with sleeping arrangements and Lunch on Saturday Provided. Head here for regristration, location info and such.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:57 PM   #9
insaneferret
PlanetSide Characters

insaneferret RSS Feed
i'll be heading up from Sugar land south of houston for the LAN too, from what i've seen it'll be great fun

$25 for a weekend of fun, hell the local LAN house charges that for a all night lock in, a steal, plus i think we got sponsored by BAWLS, so no sleeping
Old 10-02-2004, 07:51 PM   #10
KWood
CO Indy
PlanetSide Characters

KWood RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Sugarland is the Shiznit. I use to live in KATY. Small world.
KWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 06:16 AM   #11
Spinning Hat
XMEN - CO
PlanetSide Characters

Spinning Hat RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Yeah, the LAN is sponsored by BAWLS, and Nvidia, and a few other companies. There'll be door prizes given away, and good fun will be had. Bring all your favorite games, as we tend to play one for a while, and then change, and go back, etc. I'm getting excited for it, as this is the 4th LAN event in the 5 years I've been with the XMEN, and they've always been a blast. And the trip down has usually been as fun as the event itself, so It's worth the drive from Minnesota.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:11 AM   #12
Spinning Hat
XMEN - CO
PlanetSide Characters

Spinning Hat RSS Feed
WoW Characters
It arrived this morning around 10:15, and I have to say that so far, I am very happy with it. It's fast, and looks pretty cool, and the sound is impressive for a notebook, and I've about got it all setup to how I want it, but I still have to pop in the WinXP SP2 CD I got from MS the other day, and update this thing. Anyone else running SP2? Like it? Hate it?

I was happy about SP1, but I've heard some people say it's great, and others say the firewall is a waste, etc. I've got a Hardware firewall on my router here, and I haven't had any problems at all, so I'm not sure how much I want to trust MS with the security of my network.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:50 AM   #14
Spinning Hat
XMEN - CO
PlanetSide Characters

Spinning Hat RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Ok, Then I'll install it on my desktop and laptop then.

Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > Technical