Notices

Old 05-25-2006, 06:38 AM   #16
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via AIM to SilverTalon
I qualify for a Senile Citizen's discount...so I get to be an honorary member.

"But there's no sense crying over every mistake,
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake"
SilverTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:56 AM   #17
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via Yahoo to Stoke
Ten more years, my young friend...ten more years.
Its sad to think I was in Jr. High already when you were born....

For most of you babies that were born in 1980 or later....how much of this applies to you?
  • They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan Era and probably did not know he had ever been shot.
  • They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.
  • Black Monday 1987 is as significant to them as the Great Depression.
  • There has been only one Pope (weel, now 2).
  • They were 11 or so when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the Cold War.
  • They have never feared a nuclear war.
  • They are too young to remember the first space shuttle blowing up.
  • Tianamen Square means nothing to them.
  • Their lifetime has always included AIDS.
  • Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.
  • Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums. The expression "you sound like a broken record" means nothing to them.
  • They have never owned a record player.
  • They may have never heard of an 8-track. The Compact Disc was introduced when they were 1 year old.
  • As far as they know, stamps have always cost more than 32 cents.
  • They have always had an answering machine.
  • Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen a black-and-white TV.
  • They have always had cable.
  • There has always been VCR's, but they have no idea what BETA is.
  • They cannot fathom not having a remote control.
  • Roller-skating has always meant inline for them.
  • Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.
  • They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.
  • Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
  • They have never seen Larry Bird play basketball.
  • They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.
  • The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as WWI, WWII and the Civil War.
  • They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.
  • They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.
  • They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.
  • They never heard: "Where's the beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel", or "de plane, de plane!"
  • They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. is.
  • The Titanic was found? They thought we always knew where it was.
  • Michael Jackson has always been white.
  • Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not musical groups.
  • McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers.
  • There has always been MTV.
  • They have no clue what Live Aid was.
  • They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter, yet they know how to keyboard. Have no
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:35 AM   #18
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Too lazy to colorcode my responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke
Ten more years, my young friend...ten more years.
Its sad to think I was in Jr. High already when you were born....

For most of you babies that were born in 1980 or later....how much of this applies to you?
  • They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan Era and probably did not know he had ever been shot. I remember Reagan getting shot. I was like "OMG! A President assassinated in my lifetime?!"
  • They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged. This is true, but I remember following Desert Shield and Desert Storm very closely.
  • Black Monday 1987 is as significant to them as the Great Depression. I vaguely recall this day, but being military the stock market didn't affect us too much anyway.
  • There has been only one Pope (well, now 2). This one is true.
  • They were 11 or so when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the Cold War. Oh, I remember the Cold War quite well. Again, you're not in a military family without knowing about things like Minutemen and the the bombers we had in the air 24/7 with nukes.
  • They have never feared a nuclear war. See above.
  • They are too young to remember the first space shuttle blowing up. Not only do I remember Challenger...I *watched* Challenger blow up. Live.
  • Tianamen Square means nothing to them. The defiant stand of a student against his government that opposed free speech and education? I don't remember the day, but I know the significance.
  • Their lifetime has always included AIDS. True.
  • Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic. Nope, Yoohoos were (and still are in some cases) the pop top kind. We had a magnet that did that...did can pop tabs too.
  • Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums. The expression "you sound like a broken record" means nothing to them. ATARI! OMG! The number of hours spent playing pong on that thing and getting pissed off at losing. And records were most certainly predominant in my house. I liked playing the 33s at 45s because it sounded like the chipmunks.
  • They have never owned a record player. Lies. Sony and Takai (sp?). Still have 'em too. I remember being fascinated by the arm...
  • They may have never heard of an 8-track. The Compact Disc was introduced when they were 1 year old. I've never had cause to handle them, but I know of them.
  • As far as they know, stamps have always cost more than 32 cents. I remember back when they didn't cost that much...I used to collect them and then stopped/lost them /sniffle And by collect I mean "had 15"...lol
  • They have always had an answering machine. Nope, I remember the day we got it still...wasn't sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing since now my teachers could get in touch with my parents. I remember all the elaborate schemes of getting the tapes out of it (another thing most kids these days don't remember).
  • Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen a black-and-white TV. Shoot, I remember having to wait for my TV to warm up before you could watch it...
  • They have always had cable. Nope, we didn't get cable until the early 90s actually when my brother worked for the cable company.
  • There has always been VCR's, but they have no idea what BETA is. BETA = Sony's failed attempt at home movie technology...like Blu-Ray is shaping up to be...
  • They cannot fathom not having a remote control. Again...TV had to warm up. This technology predates remote controls...actually, that's not true. *I* was the remote control...if I didn't change the channel, my brothers beat me up. Good thing there were only 3 that we got.
  • Roller-skating has always meant inline for them. I "learned" on the old four wheelers, tho it never made sense to me to stick your foot forward to brake.
  • Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show. Only because my parents didn't let me stay up that late until I was a teenager.
  • They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool. True, but I've never paid attention to fashion.
  • Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave. Lies. I remember we had the fancy appliaance to pop it...so we didn't need a stove, but microwave popcorn was like "food of the future"...nothing like buying a bulk tin of SEEDS and having to put in the oil to make it pop.
  • They have never seen Larry Bird play basketball. And I've not seen Lebron James play it either. See my comment about fashion...
  • They never took a swim and thought about Jaws. Oooooh yes I did...was terrified of the ocean for a while...some of that was my uncle running over me with an inflatable raft...but a lot was my brothers terrorizing me with the music late at night.
  • The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as WWI, WWII and the Civil War. Not really, because I consider WWII to be recent history.
  • They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran. Or the very convenient release of those same hostages after the election or the failed rescue attempt where a helicopter smashed into an aircraft? Nope...never heard of that...
  • They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are. They weren't fun, and why I wore (and wear) glasses.
  • They don't know who Mork was or where he was from. MORK AND MINDY!! NA-NOO NA-NOO!
  • They never heard: "Where's the beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel", or "de plane, de plane!" GOD THAT WOMAN WAS ANNOYING! I think it made me hate Wendy's...and fantasy island FTW!!!
  • They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. is. I forget who shot him, but I know it was from Dallas
  • The Titanic was found? They thought we always knew where it was. I always thought it was lost until I was watching this history channel show a couple years ago...lol
  • Michael Jackson has always been white. I remember Jackson 5 videos. A-B-C...easy as 1-2-3...
  • Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not musical groups. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust in the wind...all Stoke is is dust in the wind... Hoooooold me Stang...Stoke really wants to tell you he's sorry...hehe, yeah, I remember those...sadly.
  • McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers. OMG! What was that sandwich that had the "hot" and "cold" compartments? Was that the Big Mac pre-environmentalists? That was my FAVORITE as a kid...
  • There has always been MTV. True, but I never watched it.
  • They have no clue what Live Aid was.I vaguely recall this event, but not enough to say I have a clue.
  • They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter, yet they know how to keyboard.GAH! I HATE RIBBON!!!!!!! DEATH TO THE RIBBON!!! I remember when we got a "word processor"/electronic typewriter that had a correction strip in it...we were fuckin' high-tech then man!
Birthday might say 1980, but I'm a lot older than I let on...
Old 05-25-2006, 09:57 AM   #19
Nizuttz
t3h suck

Nizuttz RSS Feed
WoW Characters
eh.. I was born in '79 with Carter. I remember Reagan and him getting shot. I remember alot of that stuff, not all.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:01 AM   #20
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Another thing thats sad.....

We have the annual NASCAR Speedstreet event going on here in Charlotte today and tomorrow. I went out there during lunch. All the booths selling beer and such had big signs that said "You must have been born on or before this day in May of 1985".......

I graduated from High School on May 28th, 1985......
/cry
Old 05-25-2006, 10:06 AM   #21
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Hey, no crying...I want my honorary membership damnit!

I'm crotchety and have a sense of entitlement simply because I've been around and know stuff! That's the hallmarks of being old!
Old 05-25-2006, 10:35 AM   #22
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters
ok, we'll grant you an associate trial membership.

Just remember you are on double secret probation.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:44 AM   #23
RagingSamster

RagingSamster RSS Feed
Dammit Stoke!

Now I have to go find some Geritol
RagingSamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:10 PM   #24
Nizuttz
t3h suck

Nizuttz RSS Feed
WoW Characters
I look old.
Nizuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:23 PM   #25
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingSamster
Dammit Stoke!

Now I have to go find some Geritol
Get plenty. It'll be the centerpiece of the first meeting of the ATF OMC......
Old 05-25-2006, 12:34 PM   #26
CannonBall
Celebrated Pooper
PlanetSide Characters

CannonBall RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via Yahoo to CannonBall
Quote:
McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers. OMG! What was that sandwich that had the "hot" and "cold" compartments? Was that the Big Mac pre-environmentalists? That was my FAVORITE

It was called the McDLT

Last edited by CannonBall; 05-25-2006 at 12:38 PM.
CannonBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:48 PM   #27
RagingSamster

RagingSamster RSS Feed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke
Get plenty. It'll be the centerpiece of the first meeting of the ATF OMC......
Geritol® and Polydent® FTW? Well that Depends®

By the way, my bride and I are celibrating 22years of marriage today. I'm letting her cook me a cake as a present. I was all tired of that "Get in the kitchen and bake me a pie" stuff. I thought I'd change it up a bit - after all variety is the spice of life.
RagingSamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:55 PM   #28
Nizuttz
t3h suck

Nizuttz RSS Feed
WoW Characters
damn you guys got married young.
Nizuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:22 PM   #30
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTalon
Shotgun weddings. Well, in Stoke's case at least...I heard that's also how he got out of his first one...
Don't bring up those memories.....

First time I was ever taken to the ex's grandparents house, the grandfather literally took me out behind the outbuilding for a little "talk". I was scared shitless... After being threatened, we back to the house and he gave me a cocola....

True Story.

Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > Other Games > World of Warcraft