Allied Tribal Forces

Go Back   Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > Other Games > World of Warcraft

Notices

Old 02-16-2006, 05:34 AM   #16
Nizuttz
t3h suck

Nizuttz RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Yes but then again you never know unless you try.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:54 AM   #17
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via AIM to SilverTalon
Point being without knowing what the actual problem is (since we don't know if it's server hardware, farm site, ISP, or glitchy code), we can easily end up in a same or worse situation.

If we found out that the problem was the ISP for the site that hosts Mal'Ganis sucked and that's the core problem, totally different story and we'd be fools to not move.

If the problem is server farm sharing and it's a widespread Blizzard practice, we could go through a goodly bit of adjustment to end up with the same situation and less of a chance of getting away from it.

Desicions made with little information and born out of frustration tend to be the ones that backfire.

"But there's no sense crying over every mistake,
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake"
SilverTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:51 AM   #18
CannonBall
Celebrated Pooper
PlanetSide Characters

CannonBall RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via Yahoo to CannonBall
Facts-
I now get disconnected from Mal frequently, frequently meaning once every 15 to 60 minutes.
I now get stuck on the “Retrieving Character List” on Mal for 15 to 30 minutes at a time.
I now get stuck on the loading screen on Mal for 7 to 12 minutes.

I always enter a queue when logging in to Uldum. The queue varies in length from 12th in line to 150th in line.
The loading screen on Uldum is on average less than 1 minute.
I get disconnected from Uldum rarely, rarely meaning once every week.
I own with my shaman in PvP with “FROST SHOCK” wait nevermind…..

CannonBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:07 AM   #19
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters
And I'm not disputing any of those facts cannon, but none of them speak to "Why?"

Is the problem related to the network into Mal'Ganis that Blizzard really doesn't have any control over (i.e. - ISP or Internet-issues)? If so, moving is in our best interest.

Is the problem the internal network infrastructure at the site that's causing the disconnects? If so, again moving is in our best interest, as that problem should be readily identified and fixed.

Is it a problem with Blizzard's server code and/or load balancing? If so, moving does not provide much in the way of relief.

Is the problem related to other servers having excessive populations (i.e. - Does Uldum run fine because MG suffers)? If so, we can end ourselves up in similar territory since popular Internet sites can drastically alter the face of a server (see also: PA and Dark Iron, RvB on Bonechewer, etc.)

Is the problem player-created by people abusing the systems (Chinese farmers, idiot children, general trouble-makers)? If so, moving doesn't help since the problem will probably manifest itself on whatever server we move to as well.

So forth and so on...

We can say "it's not our job to find this stuff out!" and it isn't...but if we're going to take action and try to get characters moved (assuming it ever becomes possible), it behooves us to make sure we're doing something that will fix our problem and not make it worse or stay exactly the same. Also, having facts to back up our assertations of "MG sucks!" might help actually get it fixed. Blizzard can (and does) ignore opinions...it becomes much harder to ignore documented facts. So far only SOE has managed to find a way to blind itself to the obvious...
Old 02-16-2006, 07:16 AM   #20
Nizuttz
t3h suck

Nizuttz RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Well from what I have heard from other friends on other servers the issues we are experiencing on Mal'Ganis do not happen regularly on some of the other servers.
Nizuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:25 AM   #21
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters
From what I'm reading off of Blizzard's tech support, the issue is far from just MG though. Akama, Deathwing, Elune, Thunderlord and Twisting Nether at a casual glance have people reporting similar issues (random disconnects, slow loads, looting taking minutes or more, lag spikes measured in the thousands with all things on their end checking out to about normal).

Are there realms out there that are fine? Undoubtedly. Will they remain so should we be able to move there? Hard to say...why are all these other realms having problems?

I guess that's what I'm trying to say...we don't know what the cause of the problem is, so how can we know moving to another server will actually fix it?
Old 02-16-2006, 07:36 AM   #22
Nizuttz
t3h suck

Nizuttz RSS Feed
WoW Characters
but we know staying isnt working out for us either.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:43 AM   #23
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters
But why would we transfer when we don't know if the problem is going to stay with MG or follow us to Target Server X?

Kind of a moot discussion when Blizzard isn't offering character transfers.

Further browsing reveals more servers with the same issues...and the started around xmas which, if memory serves, was about the time MG really started acting up.

Now, to force Blizzard to confess to whatever moronic thing they did at Christmas...
Old 02-16-2006, 07:47 AM   #24
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via Yahoo to Stoke
For those just joining:

To summarize Silver....
Why jump off one sinking ship onto another one before you know how seaworthy the second one is?

To Summarize Niz...
Screw this, I'm jumping.

To Summarize Cannon...
I keep getting thrown off the boat so I'm probabaly just not gonna ride it anymore until they fix it.
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:56 AM   #25
Nizuttz
t3h suck

Nizuttz RSS Feed
WoW Characters
No, to summarize Niz:

Well we know this one is sinking so lets jump the hell off this one and hope the other ship is more seaworthy.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:11 AM   #26
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via Yahoo to Stoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizuttz
No, to summarize Niz:

Well we know this one is sinking so lets jump the hell off this one and hope the other ship is more seaworthy.
Which is another way of saying "screw this I'm jumping...."
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:12 AM   #27
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Interesting posts from Tech Support:

"Many of us are becoming increasingly distressed about this problem. Since late november, Moonrunner and many other servers have had what can only be described as server side issues - loot lag, spell lag and general problems that may seem like high latency, but occur when latency is well below 200MS. These issues and many others continue, worsen, and finally the server crashes. This has been happening with a very disheartening regularity every week for the past few MONTHS. Saturday and Sunday performance is going downhill, to the inevitable monday crash. Monday night is generally unplayable, and sometimes crashes occur on Sunday as well.

Again, please - some kind of response to this? I don't want to hear another redirection, diversion or excuse. I want to hear that the problems with the service that I am currently paying for are not only acknowledged, but being addressed. I'm not trying to be insulting, although I may come off that way; I am becomming very upset and annoyed about this state of affairs. "

"I think I've tried it all...for the past couple of weeks now I've just not been able to play. When I log in I normally get stuck on connecting, authenticating, or any of the other steps - also when I actually start loading and the blue bar fills up, it take AGES once it's full to actually load the game. When I actually do get in game the connection is so horrible I normally have to alt tab and end the task in order to quit - totally unplayable, and this is at all times of day equally as bad."

"Why is it that some servers are crashing so consistently? This predictability is frustrating, and while I'll continue to wait patiently it'd be nice to hear something from Blizzard concerning the cause of this problem. Can anyone offer a possible explanation for why this has been happening over the last month? That's all I ask."

All three of those posts could be used to describe MG, and none of them were written by someone at MG. Something larger is amiss here.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:36 AM   #28
CannonBall
Celebrated Pooper
PlanetSide Characters

CannonBall RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via Yahoo to CannonBall
Yeah I'm not saying we should leave or stay. Those are just some of the things I have encountered over the last week or so.
My frustration with Mal right now is very high.

Maybe it will get better, maybe it won't. Maybe if we leave it'll get better, maybe it won't.

As ATF goes, so shall the Cannonball.
CannonBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:31 AM   #29
Nizuttz
t3h suck

Nizuttz RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Dude, no one is saying its just MG I am just saying that there are other servers where it is not happening so if we can go to one of those we should.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #30
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Unless you're talking about a full re-roll, you don't get an option on where you go for a transfer. Blizzard tells you A can go to B and that's that.

Interesting thing to try...run a tracert to the login server and to mal'ganis. Cannon, since it's not like you're doing anything else in the 15 minutes to retrieve character list, try doing a tracert at a command prompt to both MG and "us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com" and compare the routes.

I show MG's IP address as being: 206.16.235.15 (to obtain this connect to WoW and load the server, then open a command prompt and type "netstat" and locate the address at port :3724). If when MG is slow we can run a tracert and show that our connection TO blizzard is fine (and compare it to working servers like Uldum and others), we might be able to make more informed inquiries and/or highlight a network that is causing the problem.

Rather than sitting around bitching about Blizzard who is currently offering us neither answers nor transfers, why not go out and find some information that might help us at least decide if moving to another server would be worthwhile?

Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > Other Games > World of Warcraft