Notices

Old 08-17-2002, 02:06 PM   #1
TimberWolf
LoS-XO, ATF Resident Goober
PlanetSide Characters

TimberWolf RSS Feed
Send a message via AIM to TimberWolf Send a message via MSN to TimberWolf
Ocean Combat?

I remember reading that the Dev team has set up Planetside to be expandable. They plan on making new planets as the war moves on, if an empire dominates it, and add naval combat. The Dev team never said how many players there had to be before they would begin working on adding Naval Combat, nor did they menchen if it was possible to fly between the land massess.

When they do add Naval Combat into the mix, I hope they make a small aircraft carrier that can be purchesed and manned by players. It would be fun to be the navigator of a medium sized vessel with other players launching from it and using turrets mounted on it. If they don't have an aircraft carrier for players, then I would go for a Battleship with the largest cannons. When they add this new field of combat, then even more people would be interested in Planetside. Also more players will be needed to defend the bases.

"Republican Ideology advanced the concept of 'civic virtue' - the idea that democracy depended on the unselfish commitment of each citizen to the public good." from The Brief American Pageant 6st edition
TimberWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 02:55 PM   #2
Spinning Hat
XMEN - CO
PlanetSide Characters

Spinning Hat RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via ICQ to Spinning Hat Send a message via AIM to Spinning Hat Send a message via MSN to Spinning Hat Send a message via Yahoo to Spinning Hat
Naval Combat would be cool..... With Submarines..... and Aircraft Carriers..... and Battleships.... Think about it.... you could have folks do nothing but Naval warfare. But you'd need a sonar/Radar type of system, to be able to track ships/subs, as well as Aircraft. Because adding fuel into a mix like that would be mighty tough. So it would be possible for aircraft to fly over most any Landmass given enough time, across an Ocean, attack, and bug out to a known safe area, (ie Aircraft Carrier).

It could add another total dimension to the scale of things. Me, personally, I'd prefer to undertake naval Operations. I enjoy the constant threat of being attacked from 3 dimensions. (Above, Below and on the Surface.)
Spinning Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 06:54 PM   #3
Jester
THZ* - XO

Jester RSS Feed
don't you mean above, below, and [i:cdf99ce464]Behind SH?[/i:cdf99ce464]
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 07:10 PM   #4
Spinning Hat
XMEN - CO
PlanetSide Characters

Spinning Hat RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via ICQ to Spinning Hat Send a message via AIM to Spinning Hat Send a message via MSN to Spinning Hat Send a message via Yahoo to Spinning Hat
No, because you don't need to be behind a ship on the surface to attack it. You need to be on the lookout from all angles.
Old 08-17-2002, 07:38 PM   #5
TimberWolf
PlanetSide Characters

TimberWolf RSS Feed
You would only have to worry about below if they add under water vehicles, which means they would have to design the ocean floor. That would add even more to the game, such as subs shooting at each other in a rift on the ocean floor as a fleet of boats battle on the surface and aircraft raging above that and then ground based fire blasting the water and the air.
Old 08-17-2002, 07:40 PM   #6
Spinning Hat
XMEN - CO
PlanetSide Characters

Spinning Hat RSS Feed
WoW Characters
And where's the problem? You tellin me that if I fly an air vehicle into the water I'm gonna die?!?!?! I like that part of Tribes2!
Old 08-17-2002, 07:56 PM   #7
TimberWolf
PlanetSide Characters

TimberWolf RSS Feed
I like that too but this game is more realistic then Tribes 2. I do not know of any plane that can actualy submerge itself and still operate. It would be better, anyway, to keep the underwater and the air more seperate. It will help balance the game.

They could put in underwater troop transports or give the submarines the ability to launch missiles inland wail underwater, like in real life. There is so much that can be done when they do add the water aspect to the game. I hope the do it quickly after the game is released.
Old 08-17-2002, 09:26 PM   #8
Spinning Hat
XMEN - CO
PlanetSide Characters

Spinning Hat RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Yeah, I know.... I do hope the release is soon after the Game tho- It'd be nice to have that option to move out to sea, if our Bases are overrun.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:40 PM   #9
TimberWolf
PlanetSide Characters

TimberWolf RSS Feed
We could write the Dev team a letter, signed by many people, after the game is released, or either as soon as we hear more about what they have planned, asking them to make basic water capable vehicles available to the people. They can later add to it but they should get small transport ships and Destroyer class ships. That way people can get use to having to watch the sea, even though it will not be much of a threat at first, but could also be used to provide advance scouting of enemy troop deployment and artillery.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:03 PM   #10
Spinning Hat
XMEN - CO
PlanetSide Characters

Spinning Hat RSS Feed
WoW Characters
My really big concern is, is the conomics of the game. It's going to be every nit as vital as holding territory, to acquire vehicles, weapons, etc. I like the idea of having to BUY your equipment, like in a real army, I'm just worried that the cost of equipment is going to be very prohibitive for widescale use.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:09 PM   #11
TimberWolf
PlanetSide Characters

TimberWolf RSS Feed
The basic loadout was said to be really cheap, so no matter how little money you have you should be able to still buy a gun and ammo. I got a feeling that money wont be aa problem until we start getting vehicles and special armor, and one time us missile launchers.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:19 PM   #12
Spinning Hat
XMEN - CO
PlanetSide Characters

Spinning Hat RSS Feed
WoW Characters
I wish they'd release more on the whole economics thing.. I'd like to look at that in some depth.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:36 PM   #13
TimberWolf
PlanetSide Characters

TimberWolf RSS Feed
So would I but thats probably one of the last things they may release before the game is released. There is probably a tech tree for each Empire, such as they must hold certain buildings to be able to get vehicles, stronger weapons, and armors.

Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > PlanetSide 2