Notices

Old 09-26-2007, 08:01 PM   #16
RagingSamster

RagingSamster RSS Feed
Re: so like

RagingSamster
Allegiance: Vanu Sovereignty
Outfit: ATF
Outfit rank: ( the one that corresponds to the Star Trekian "Ensign Smith" in the red uniform)
CR:0
BR:0
Height 6'2"
Weight: 180 (this is fiction after all)
Age 43
Hair Color: Thinning brown, with a distiguished touch of grey
Strengths: Dieing, missing targets, dieing, staying in the control room until the base is capped, dieing
Vehicles: Reaver crasher extraordinaire, Shuttle from Vanu home base
Weapons: Those guns that really don't do anything when I fire them (all of them)
Implants: The wife would never go for those
Misc: Played all through the beta, then came back sporadically until WoW (and for a little while when the servers were down, I'd jump on.
RagingSamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:03 AM   #17
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via Yahoo to Stoke

(copied mostly from Sam because it fit)

Stokey
Outfit rank: no clue
BR:0
Height 6'2"
Weight: 240 (yeah, i'm fat)
Age 40 (not as old as Sam whooohooo!)
Hair Color: mostly brownish
Strengths: none
Vehicles: none
Weapons: the ones that went bang bang
Misc: attempted to play briefly back in April when they offered the "free trial" version. Got the official "Silver Tutorial". Never did much and could never figure out why everyone was running around all stiff legged over this game.
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:07 AM   #18
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via AIM to SilverTalon

Because you were stuck playing with another n00b and a sniper, who are notoroiusly solo-minded. You WERE excellent sniper bait though...racked up a lot of kills when snipers popped up to kill you.

Had you run around with Gryp...wait no, he's more likely to shoot you in the back...

Had you been there with Stan....no...no...you'd have only experienced mine deaths...

Had you been there with Cannonb....hmmm, I suppose getting dumped in the ocean and crash-landing in transports is only so amusing...

Had you been there with Daneru...well, he would have made you drive a vehicle so he could rack up kills...

Ah HA! Had you been there with SKILLET...well, um....you could go "Hey neat! look at all the corpses..." But at least you wouldn't be dead!

In it's heyday (which is sadly long ago), it was an incredible war simulator. If you viewed it as an FPS, it was very sub-standard...one hitbox (so no headshots), seemingly horrible lag (really client-side hit detection), seemingly unbalanced gameplay (Grunt vs. Airplane goes to the airplane 99 times out of 100), and so forth.

If you viewed it properly in context as a war sim, it was brilliant. Combined arms, air assaults, commando operations, logistics, feints and counter-feints...it was glorious. However, as the population declined in both number and quality, the number of "pure awesome" moments sadly declined.

I'm going slightly off-topic, but maybe it'd be helpful for destiny if we recalled some of our favorite PS combat moments as well...things that stuck out in your mind as memorable about the game.

For me:

Defending a base on Hossin as TR and the battle line moved from between the bases, to us defending the base's tower, to us in the base and fighting from the walls ferociously. Just when it seemed like the infantry swarm was going to overrun the courtyard, massive explosions erutped among the enemy and over the ridgeline you could see a column of six Prowlers come rolling up all guns blazing. The battle became a rout and the TR took three bases in quick succession.

Defending the tech plant on Ceryshen (the southwest of the little triad of bases near each other) as VS. Holding the line quite well against the NC, then looking up at the sky and seeing three Galaxies coming over top of the base and dropping a full platoon. I think we eventually fought that drop off, but it eventually through attrition got the guys at the walls into the base. Forgot how it finally concluded, I think the TR showed up in the north and put pressure on the NC.

Searhus as TR in the crater fighting the NC. Picking guys off left and right with the Cycler while our main forces came in the the west side of the crater. Tag an AMS with a rifle round, by some miracle the AV guys notice and blast it to kingdom come. The NC start falling back and I seriously jumped off the top of the wall with a cry in broadcast "PUSH THEM BACK! DEATH TO THE SMURFS!" and...surprisingly enough, about six guys on the wall came with me...mopped up the NC and the armored column secured the rest of the crater without much of a fight.

Searhus again...TR, NW corner base. NC and VS are slugging it out, and they both decide to converge on the TR. We held that base for five hours, and eventually the two sides started hitting each other harder. The VS ended up losing as the TR pushed south and eventually shoved the VS off the continent. I logged before I saw how the TR/NC matchup went. However, thanks to the complete ineptitude of the VS Markov Air Corps, that alt gained four battle ranks. Also killed a lot of them (see attachment...remember this was when aircraft kills would periodically be counted twice...but still, at least 40 aircraft downed...and I believe the number was closer to 50).

I've got a ton more, but anyone else?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Burster.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1223  

"But there's no sense crying over every mistake,
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake"
SilverTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:23 AM   #19
TimberWolf
LoS-XO, ATF Resident Goober
PlanetSide Characters

TimberWolf RSS Feed
Send a message via AIM to TimberWolf Send a message via MSN to TimberWolf

NutzholzWolf
Outfit rank: no clue
BR:18
CR:1
Height 5'11"
Weight: 175
Hair Color: Blond
Strengths: Keeping a vehicle alive
Vehicles: Any land vehicle and the Loadstar
Weapons: Pulsar (I think), Glue Gun, Vanu Pistol, Lancer (AV)
Implants: Darklight, Audio Enhancer
Misc: Good at supportive rolls, such as repairing vehicles and armors. Provided engineering support by setting up mines and spitfire turrets. Usually ticked off people with better weapons enough for them to start bad mouthing me in private chat when I keep killing them with my "flash light". Tend to steal enemy vehicles when possible. Would lay mines in the most remote and pointless locations and still get a kill with it. Tend to keep back and let the gun hoe solders in first then run over their bodies as I finish off their kills.

"Republican Ideology advanced the concept of 'civic virtue' - the idea that democracy depended on the unselfish commitment of each citizen to the public good." from The Brief American Pageant 6st edition
TimberWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:59 AM   #20
destinysend
PlanetSide Characters

destinysend RSS Feed
WoW Characters

eh, I've started work on the first chapter, we'll see how it looks. I made one page, 686 words, before I got lazy today. god it feels good to sleep in.

XD I'm still alive.. I think..
One day, I will rule the world.. and then MMORPG's wouldn't be p2p.
destinysend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:39 AM   #21
TexasReb

TexasReb RSS Feed

Tag: Texasreb
Outfit: Wolf Brigade
Outfit rank: Colonel
CR: 4
Genetics: Caucasian
Eye color: Green
Hair color: Brown
Height: 5' 7"
Weight: 200 lbs
Strengths: Sniping, Driving ground vehicles (anyone remember the Hell Rides?)
Minors: Gunner
Weakness: Pilot (Dirt dart is more like it)
Personality: Light hearted, always wanting to have fun, thats what gaming is all about.
Gear: REK, Bolt Rifle, Lasher
Implants: Darklight, Adv. Targeting, Personal Shield
Miscellaneous Info: Always a good meatshield for the betterment of the group, I at least died with class on those MANY occasions.

There you go, one of the Old Colonels at your service
TexasReb is offline   Reply With Quote

Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > PlanetSide 2