Allied Tribal Forces

Go Back   Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > Other Games > Star Wars: The Old Republic

Notices

Old 12-19-2011, 05:58 AM   #46
RocketMad

RocketMad RSS Feed
Re: SW:TOR Pre-order

Hey guys. I am getting the game too and no one in my current guild is going to get it so (if I'm welcome) I'd like to play with you guys again. I am not quite sure about the latency but I doubt it's a problem for MMO's? Correct me if I'm wrong.
RocketMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:17 AM   #47
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via AIM to SilverTalon

Rocket:
Latency can be tricky depending on the path you have to take to get to the server. Sometimes it's not a big deal, others it's horrid. MMOs aren't exempt from it, you just have a larger cushion than an FPS. Playing at 500ms provides a very not-good experience with people snagging mobs before you or being behind on what your role should be doing in a group (since you're working that little bit slower). That said, I've played on EU servers for various things and found servers in the 150-250ms range which is just fine, and others where it was 700ms+. Lot of variables at work but assuming we ever pick a place to end up and it works for you, the more the merrier.

Swad:
I agree. I can put up with 20-30 minute queues for a short time, but much more than that and I start wandering to other places. There's just too many questions about what will and won't happen at the moment which sucks, but like Stang said it's nothing new for this sort of thing. We did the same thing in WoW, same thing in WAR. Just have to be patient and figure it out.

On the upside, the game is fun at least. Review of the Night from CB:

"Wow! Bioware did a great job with the women in this game. When I say something I think they'll like, they get mad at me but when I do something that seems certain to piss them off they're ok with it. I'm so confused about what I should and shouldn't be saying...it's just like every woman I know!"
SilverTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #48
Swad

Swad RSS Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTalon View Post
On the upside, the game is fun at least. Review of the Night from CB:

"Wow! Bioware did a great job with the women in this game. When I say something I think they'll like, they get mad at me but when I do something that seems certain to piss them off they're ok with it. I'm so confused about what I should and shouldn't be saying...it's just like every woman I know!"
Just don't tell CB about the possibilities with the Sith Warrior and dark side conversation options when first getting a companion. He may over work that shock collar on his slave (ok, I confess--I did too).
Swad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #49
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters

Oh...and you should really make your Sith Warriors as Sith Truebloods. Their racial "power" is to bitch-slap their companions. No, really...backhand to the face. It's great.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #50
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via Yahoo to Stoke

sigh.......
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #52
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters

damnit
Old 12-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #54
Hamma

Hamma RSS Feed
WoW Characters

In CDL there has been no discussion so far on moving. Early on in WoW we moved off of Mal'Ganis in favor of Laughing Skull. We have some almost 30's now so I don't foresee us moving at this point. Our roster just to give you guys an idea is around 20 active users right now and im sure most of them will be active for a while.

From what I have seen thus far Bioware is well aware of the issues and I trust in them to correct it. I know alot of folks have mentioned EA - but they aren't the folks in charge of this operation Bioware is. With launch tomorrow Bioware area increasing the server count and they have also talked about increasing the max player count on servers with issues.

In short, we are just playing the wait and see attitude this time rather than jumping to another server. We will remain on Jung Ma for at least the foreseeable future unless queues remain crazy high for a long time.
Hamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:42 PM   #55
Asp

Asp RSS Feed

I'll follow shamelessly after Hamma with our reasoning on our server choice so far..

We went with RP-PVP as (in WoW at least) it tended to cut down on the asshat population somewhat in the player base..

Bioware in a feat of heroic stupidity only gave us 2 RP-PVP servers (one east and one west coast) initially. Which is why Jung Ma filled up so quickly, and has a high queue. I'm rather confident that bioware will address this issue quickly as it's in their best interest to have as smooth a launch as possible (I remember ridiculous queues at WoW's beginning too).. Their servers may have had an artificial population limit as one way to shape the traffic of players heading to particular servers. Today there was no queue (that I saw) all day, even in prime time, so they may have adjusted the population limits on their heavy loaded servers.
I'd also imagine that if the issue is persistent, they'll allow (much like Blizzard did) players to transfer off high pop servers onto new servers. In which case we would make a call on either moving or staying put and hope Bioware gets the balance right.

Some of our guys were talking about this as well, but the problem is over 75% of the servers on the NA list were full, so there'd be queues there too. Even the "very heavy" servers could be that way today, full tomorrow. It's a gamble whatever we do.

The queues suck, no doubt about it.. My advice would be to ride it out, see what bioware has in mind to deal with the issue first, and decide to pull or not the ejector seat then. The population will either right itself or they'll allow us to transfer to a new server. Not sure how much playing musical servers would help when you look at how full they almost all are now quite frankly..

It'd be great to play with you guys, so I hope we're all on the same server; but that's basically our thought process at the moment. We're going to give it a chance, wait and see. Though if the opportunity comes to move and it's a good deal, we'll certainly let you guys know..

asp@dragonwolves.com

Last edited by Asp; 12-19-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Asp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:33 PM   #56
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters

The big problem ATF is going to have (aside from queues) is how staggered people getting the game is going to be. Our fairly reliable roster will probably resemble:

Skillet
Gryphon
Stang
Silver
Stoke
Cannonball
Danerune
Swad
Shadow
Tummi

Skimming the thread I see other names as well, which will probably add up to a healthy 8 man group at least. However, with people playing the game at different paces, "when" that will happen becomes a big question.

My point of view is that we will eventually be fine if we all play together, but that a situation where we have CDL to work with gives us the best options (and helps them out with similar "not enough hardcores" or "time zones suck" issues). Might we be the second-fiddle to start out? Possibly, but I'd rather be second-fiddle to friends while we gather our feet up under us than spam recruit to fill ranks on another server where we have no similar friends and/or have guild collaborations like what we did in WoW where members get outright stolen.

CDL would give us a fair deal, in my opinion, and if they don't then nobody else in this world is really going to either. The guilds go way back and Gryph does remember where Hamma hid the bodies...
Old 12-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #58
Asp

Asp RSS Feed

What I'd like to do personally is, as soon as we figure it out, setup a CDL channel that the ATF can monitor, and you guys can do likewise (or do one communal channel).. That way when we need people to run flashpoints/operations we can help each other out.. Sort of like a private looking for group, looking for pvp channel we can each monitor..

The server queues suck, but it will get better, and just randomly picking a new server less than a day into full launch is Russian Roulette for finding a decent one. Bioware have said now that they're artificially capping servers and forcing queues to direct new players to empty servers, so that should get better soon; and they're working on server transfers if things get too unbearable..

I can't see you guys getting a raw deal, though we may trade you Hamma, Mars, and Mani for future picks or maybe something off waivers..
Asp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #59
Stang
THZ* - CO
PlanetSide Characters

Stang RSS Feed
WoW Characters

I'd say we can trade Silver but I just can't do that to you guys .
Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:16 AM   #60
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters

I always liked the phrase "for cash and players to be named later"....

Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > Other Games > Star Wars: The Old Republic