Allied Tribal Forces

Go Back   Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > Other Games

Notices

Old 06-19-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
Shoddy
PlanetSide Characters

Shoddy RSS Feed
Enemy Territory : QuakeWars

A single-map beta is out for selected FilePlanet subscribers I think. Beta details: http://community.enemyterritory.com/?q=node/57

Here's the "manual" for it: http://www.pitchblende.net/Docs/index.html

Movie of gameplay: http://www.tribalwar.com/staff/colosus/ETQW.wmv

Reviews from the TribalWar crowd seem mixed but mostly positive so far.

Quote:
The game is fun to play. Have no doubt about that. The map they have in this beta is short, but has 3 objectives. First you must build an EMP generator to disable the Strogg shields. This gives you access to the sewer base. Inside the sewer base you have to plant explosives on the gates to blow them up and get access to the sewer controls. Then you must hack the sewer controls to win the map.

Each of these requirements needs a different class and a lot of protection as you're mostly wide open. The first requires an engineer, the second a soldier and the third a covert ops. They take about 60 seconds to complete where you can't move. If two people do it at once, it gets sped up. So teamwork is necessary along with whomever is defending you.

As Haggis said, the game is very twitchy. A disappointing problem with this is that the aim is not pinpoint liked you'd expect with a game this twitchy. The weapon spread is pretty exaggerated for my tastes and you don't have time to lie prone or crouch like in BF. It's in the middle and kind of uncomfortable there.

You can sprint for as long as you want and the battles are very fierce as you're all grouped in the same areas. The vehicles are by no means uber. You can destroy them with a bit of teamwork or patience. It takes 3 or 4 rockets to take out a walker or tank. The other vehicles are pretty weak.

The icarus thing (jetpack) is cool for jumping around, but Haggis is right that the "skiing" isn't there. No biggie. You also only get bombs to drop when using it. The turret deployment works well, but it takes a long time to deploy something especially given how easy they are to destroy.

All in all, I think the game has a lot of potential and can't wait to see more maps.

This from Trem_r of T2 HO fame:
Quote:
I think Colosus gives a pretty good review. I agree with the twitchy/clunky comments, although I would have to image it has something to do with the low (30ish for most ppl) fps you get.

The menus and limbo interface are nice, although I would prefer to see some more video options in the future.

The vehicles are decent, but none of the flying ones are introduce on the map they give you. I thought that the tank and the walker type vehicle were kind of clunky on the control side.

The game is very Battlefield like, but the speed of the game play seems to be faster. I also enjoy the objective style game type as opposed to the control points game type.
Quote:
You can totally ski with the jump pack. If you hit the boost just as you land you can gain speed. You can't strafe from side to side, but you are projected in the direction you're facing, so it's not exactly like Tribes skiing. I was bouncing all over the map with it though, great fun.
Quote:
turret "farming" takes too long and the turrets are too easy to destroy. not as fun as tribes turret farming.

This from Vir of T2 shrike fame:
Quote:
Way more gameplay depth than BF2 had. I don't like how it constantly feels like you are fighting with the game and the server to control your character and I had 40 ping. What they have now would be really good for an alpha stage. Was fun though.
Quote:
It runs very well on high settings for me. But I heavily dislike infantry combat in that game so far. People run at mach 12 and can sprint indefinitely. I had a strogg over the course of a minute kill me with a melee spike after I shot at him with a shotgun for what seemed like forever. He just sprinted around at ludicrous speeds. I know its just beta so the weird ass vehicle handling could be smoothed out but right now the vehicle control like they have no weight. The tank instantly starts moving at full speed the second you press forward. The vehicle handling so far reminds me of Joint Ops except the game lacks the sweet ballistics engine Joint Ops had.

So far this has really turned me the **** off. But bear in mind that I really fast fast moving FPS's like Quake 3 arena and UT etc etc. I'll give it another try tomorrow though.
Shoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
poonster

poonster RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Re: Enemy Territory : QuakeWars

I was able to DL the client before Fileplanet pulled the plug. Since it aint out yet

lol dont think my machine can handle it

Shamburgler - 80 Orc Shaman - Borean Tundra
poonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
Shoddy
PlanetSide Characters

Shoddy RSS Feed
Re: Enemy Territory : QuakeWars

It looks like there's a pretty strong possibility of there being a Tribesish mod:
Quote:
Hi guys/gals, FeaRog here from Splash Damage. I'm the programmer that implemented the Icarus physics in ETQW, and mentioned the idea for "Enemy Territory: Tribal War". As Wils has said before, we have had the Icarus physics far more like Tribes in the past. My initial implementation of it actually had T1-style jump skiing. We "dumbed it down" for ETQW as it was far too difficult for such a small element of our game. I am utterly convinced that Tribes-style skiing is entirely possible in the engine, and all the physics code is game side - ie it will be moddable when we release the SDK.

I am still intending to get this mod started after release!
My intended initial plan is as follows:
1) Mod jetpacks & skiing into the core player physics
2) Implement a base weapon type for Tribes-style weapons
3) Implement a spinfusor equivalent

Regarding the difficulty of the rest of the game elements - most of the game flow is described in scripts. Deployables, classes, items, the lot. Most of the groundwork is already there - even inventory changing! Setting up things like generators, turrets and sensor networks is near trivial - a scripter familiar with the workings of the game could probably knock out prototypes of most of that stuff out in a day or two.

As far as a plan for such a project goes, the core plan should be to Keep It Simple, Stupid! Start small. For example, start with a small arena team deathmatch kind of thing. Jetpacks for all, only one character class, spinfusor, chaingun, grenade launcher. Slowly start building in things like inventory stations, CTF, etc. Don't focus on the aesthetics - block out and hone the gameplay with all the existing assets.

Most of all though such a mod needs a core development group and a united community behind it. The last thing we need is a split community!

Its very important to note that a mod for ETQW cannot replace Tribes - instead it should to try to be an awesomely fun, fast-paced game all of its own, but borrowing from the best parts of Tribes.

I really want to see this happen and am absolutely behind it. I'll want to participate
Shoddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > Other Games