Old 08-08-2005, 04:55 PM   #16
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via AIM to SilverTalon
Ugh...just...ugh.

I've kept my PS sub up this time, and have played off and on for giggles, but I think this might be what pushes me out. I like immersion and, well, these things totally fuck that up. I went on the Test Server just to SEE rather than going "OMGZ! ADZ?! NO WAYZ!!!" thinking if done tastefully, they'd bring revenue in.

Alas, this is what I found...the third picture showing the only GOOD thing about these things.

I'm sorry, in the midst of massing for a huge assault on the next enemy base, I really don't want to see that the new Deuce Bigalow movie is coming out soon. I'm not going to cancel just off the dry-run, because it might occur to them to at least ATTEMPT to theme the ads, but if they go in like they are, seems like my PS days have finally drawn to a close.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blahad1.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	406   Click image for larger version

Name:	blahad2.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	407   Click image for larger version

Name:	blahad3.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	408  

"But there's no sense crying over every mistake,
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake"
SilverTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:42 PM   #17
Malthus
PlanetSide Characters

Malthus RSS Feed
Here's a write up a couple of guys did after analyzing the packets while playing Swat 4 (another game showing ads)

http://nationalcheeseemporium.org/

Pretty interesting the amount of data they are sending back.
Malthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:16 PM   #18
Stang
THZ* - CO
PlanetSide Characters

Stang RSS Feed
WoW Characters
I can actually see it in a game like that because its game not set in the future so it blends in with the game. I don't see it blending very well in PS.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:29 AM   #19
Fyunch Click

Fyunch Click RSS Feed
From my perspective, the idea of ads in game is annoying at best and disruptive at worst.
Ads in an MMO are insulting to the customer base, I already pay you a monthly fee to play your game and for you to support a live team to produce content and bugfixes, I don't see in game advertising resulting in a reduced price to the consumer. And at what point does the advertising become disruptive to gameplay? Does the manner in which it is applied to the game include streaming content? If so, fuck that. I want reduced latency, not an additional level of it. If it's a one off ad included with the game install then it won't matter either as there is no renewable ad money there.

Now in a standalone game, such as SWAT 4, I can see a place for it, however ad revenue should be used to reduce the cost of a game: much like commercials and broadcast TV. The issue is, that model is flawed on a single purchase product like a video game, it ony works with repeat customers: like those who watch a particular series on TV.

Now an area where this might work would be the upcoming SIN sequelettes coming out on Steam.

Personally I'll not buy a game that does this. Especially not an MMO. (The only possible exception would be if that MMO was Shadowrun.)

Beware the poodart!

Fyunch Click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:54 AM   #20
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via AIM to SilverTalon
I don't mind advertising as a concept. It's no secret that PS is somewhat underpowered on numbers and that revenue generated by it could be used to help fund projects to make the game better (like hiring a new artist so they can complete new base designs, etc.). They've also mentioned that the billboards can be used for in game promotion, inviting the major fan sites to create banners as well as posting relevant game information. So there's secondary uses for the system as well.

However, there is a limit on what I'm willing to tolerate in the name of improving the game...as you say I already pay a monthly fee. I can put up with an ad properly themed to its surroundings. For example playing a BF2 map in a city and I pass a poster with an image of a Coke can with arabic (or Chinese) all over it...that's fine. It's a Coke can, it's projecting the brand image, but it's doing it in a relatively unobtrusive way.

For PlanetSide, they'd have to do a LOT of work on most ads to make them blend in. Movies, for instance, would be right out the door almost because the dates they want to advertise just throws everything off immediately...and they're some of the biggest advertisers out there. The Navy game, likewise, ruins the effect...again, military is a major advertiser.

In that case they are caught between a rock and a hard place in that there are so few ads that can be put in without ruining the immersion factor (which is part of why PS is so great) that it almost begs the question of why bother. SOE almost needs have the players take products and make PS-themed ads for them...which they'd never do because of all the legal issues surrounding them doing work that gets SOE and the advertisers money.

Just an ugly, ugly can of worms to open.
SilverTalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > General Forum