Allied Tribal Forces

Go Back   Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > General Forum

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
fenwood

fenwood RSS Feed
Send a message via AIM to fenwood Send a message via Yahoo to fenwood
SPACE MARINE!

so who else is excited about this game and hope it has more then 2 player coop i know 6v6 multiplayer is confirmed but haven't found a line on the coop yet just that it has been confirmed and if there is more then 2player coop we so need to get a squad together!
~FOR RUSS AND THE ALL FATHER!~
fenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
fenwood

fenwood RSS Feed
Re: SPACE MARINE!

to bad this game has so many flaws that outshine anything good about it
Old 09-22-2011, 06:06 AM   #4
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via AIM to SilverTalon

Other than the occasional clipping issue on animations, I found the single-player campaign to be highly enjoyable. It was mainly a "bowl through things and win" approach, but that's kind of what Space Marines do. There were several points where the challenge was genuinely difficult, though they were scattered a bit far apart. Good story, nice scenery, fun audio clips to find scattered about, etc. My only real complaint was the final battle was a bit of a letdown.

Multiplayer isn't anything to write home about, but I still had fun when I played it which is more than I can say about many other FPSes. It's not particularly sophisticated on the level of a Battlefield and much more like old-school Doom/Quake. My main complaint there is the nature of peer-to-peer gameplay which, IMO, will just always suck when it lands on someone who has a deecnt ping but a crappy connection. Well, and stupid people who can't grasp basic tactics...but you never get away from them.

I wouldn't rate it as worth the "new release" premium unless you're a fan of 40k, but I would recommend renting it or picking it up on sale.

"But there's no sense crying over every mistake,
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake"
SilverTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:31 AM   #5
Stoke
PlanetSide Characters

Stoke RSS Feed
WoW Characters
Send a message via Yahoo to Stoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTalon View Post
Well, and stupid people who can't grasp basic tactics...but you never get away from them.
I always fall into this category.
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:41 AM   #6
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters

I don't think so Stoke...I've seen teams that seem incapable of grasping the idea that if you only control point A and point B is heavily defended by six of their guys, nobody is really defending point C (matches are 8v8) and taking that will probably shift a lot of their guys away from B. You won't likely hold C for long, but the disruption is probably enough to make a push for B.

A very basic tactic (one they even put on the loading screens!), and you almost never see people attempting it. There is, however, a high correlation between teams that do that and victories.

Also the whole "six people don't need to run to the same capture point" thing at the start of the match...
Old 10-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #7
fenwood

fenwood RSS Feed

the main thing i have against space marine is it is more of a gears of war clone with no cover system and for there great parts later on in the single player your doing alot of shooting gallery parts where that would come in handy and the ending was lack luster probly because there going to try and release some dlc to fill in the story later. I always hate because it makes the main game lack luster... and with only 8 hours of game play (more if you go for audio logs) and that ending combined with these very unspacemariny shooting galleries P2p internet matches and stale maps for multiplayer the game just doesn't make me want to replay it sure it was pretty and some parts I did enjoy alot like the vallkarie flight in where you shoot storm boys about the only shooting gallery part that did feel like something a space marine would do. the game just didn't make me feel like a part of the universe like it it was more like a clip to a movie and then asking myself is that it??
Old 10-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
SilverTalon
Magniloquent
PlanetSide Characters

SilverTalon RSS Feed
WoW Characters

The ending was horribly disappointing, just because it was such a bolt-on "WTF?" affair. Introducing a mechanic you use once, and especially as "blah" as that one was...yeah. That was lame.

As far as feeling like watching an action movie...that was kind of what they were going for I think. The fiction of the Marines is that they're invincible forces of destruction, despite their middling performance on the tabletop. So if it felt like an action movie, that's what the Space Marines are about in the mythos.

Not sure how to respond to the shooting gallery bit, given the number of shooters from Gears of War to Battlefield to Mass Effect that do much the same thing. How many series of chest-high walls did you see in GoW and think "op, going to be some Locust showing up"? Probably around 100% (which was how often they showed). I think Space Marine actually did a nice job of having downtime where you saw the universe as a whole more versus non-stop shooting.

The multiplayer is eh, but I attribute that more to the crappy P2P model and the attendant issues. When you get a decent host the game is fun though I do agree the lack of variety in maps is not good. People invariably figure out the "I WIN" strategies and just milk those.

The dropping of co-op game modes from the release (even if it is a free download), limited MP maps and the very blah end fight were really the only black marks I'd give it. SP length I felt was too short, but I'm growing to accept that companies just don't want to make the 20-40 hour single player anymore (especially since a number of studies show most people never get to the end at that length). It told a decent story, set the stage for some really interesting story-telling in future installments, and didn't have any glaringly awful moments with glitches.

While it's not going to set the world on fire as a genre-redefining game, I do think there's room in the market for competent efforts that don't fall flat on their faces.

Allied Tribal Forces > Main Forums > General Forum